Out of control

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by AutoBobby, Jul 26, 2010.

1. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

No worries, just having some fun while defending those unlucky enough to have their wives hounding them. My wife doesn't like it, but she deals with it, if she didn't deal with it, screw it I'd probably still buy transformers. Why? Because they rule!

TRANSFORMERS, MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE, DA DA DA DAH, DAH, DA, DA DAH, DA DAH DA DAH, DA DAH DA DAH, THE DECEPTICONS!!!!

2. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

Thats hilarious, what did the radio host say? How did transformers come up?

3. prowl26

prowl26 Well-Known Member

Uhh, this is me except for the decent money but all the bills still get paid. But this is me, she just moves onto the next thing to nag about.

4. teruo kaiba

teruo kaiba Made In Japan

My wife to be doesn't understand why I like Transformers so much (except the Masterpiece figures as she thinks they're pretty cool). However she does understand that collecting makes me happy so she's fine with it. Same as with regards to her bag collection. I can't understand why she needs so many bags, but if that's what makes her happy then I'm fine with it. (Although, it does make me cringe a little when each bag is over a grand each which could have gone towards more of my Transformers!!)

However, if your significant other is upset about either A) the monetary aspect as you are spending more than you can afford on Transformers or B) You're spending far too much time on your hobby. Then she has a very valid complaint.

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    When I was growing up my father didn't think much to my collecting them. Whenever I had cash he'd always tell me not to 'Waste it on bloody Trarnsformers'. I did of course. :)  Hate to think what he'd say now if he was still with the world and could see the size of my collection. My mother and gran always did and still do support it. They gave me cash for figures for my last birthday.
    My girlfriend is a Transformers fan herself (met her on a TF messageboard) so she supports me. She bought me ROTF Voy Long Haul for my birthday earlier this month. I have offered to sell my collection to cover our future together, but she knows how much they mean to me and won't let me. So unlike my previous girlfriend who hated my figures with a passion and was always nagging me to sell them and spend the money on her.

Mostly it's me that looks at my collection and feels maybe it's getting out of control. I was sifting through my TF storage today and thinking just how much cash I must've spent since 1984. That and storage space is getting harder to find in the house.

6. leov36

leov36 Rubber Wheel'd UM

Instagram:
    The only tf my wife likes is MP megatron. She sais its the only tf i have that looks like its actually worth what was paid for it. Pfff, silly wife

7. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

My girlfriend is totally on board with my collecting (she lets me have a whole room in our house just for my collection!) and she even has a big robot heroes and legends collection of her own.
    As long as I don't go crazy and overspend and put us in massive debt, it's all gravy.

Couldn't be luckier really!

8. reptileman

reptileman Well-Known Member

My dad keeps telling me about worthless chinese plastic but I tell him that he spends too much money at the gym so lol.

9. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

I actually think you've got the biggest 'issue', because women 'aren't supposed to' buy action figures. I hope you do if you want to though, let people's opinions be people's opinions and enough of that.

On the topic, I just had a 'prospective GF' look at my collection recently, she went all 'WTF, uncool, you're a nerd' on me, and off she went. Seriously, if girls have that big a problem over what is just a tiny part of me?
    Fuck'em, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

10. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

Speaking as another female collector, I don't think my relatives have ever understood it, nor does my dad, which is funny considering he introduced me to sci-fi/fantasy. My mom was actually the family member who thought stuff was cool. She was always interested in my hobby.

Some people respect it, some think it's awesome because I'm a girl, some don't understand it, but I've never considered giving it up for anyone.

Outside of my immediate family and some close childhood/school friends, I've met the most important people in my life through collecting - my boyfriend (who is a fanatical collector, so no worries there), and two people who might as well be my second parents because they've done so much for me and support me, and they love and "get" my passion for collecting.

11. Boose

Boose Kup's Recruits

My girlfriend likes that I buy Transformers, because at the age of 20, she thinks buying toys is better than buying beer. Sometimes she'll give the occasional "You're to old for toys" but she calms down and looks at the Star Sapphire and Power Girl I bought for her and forgets about it. As long as I have money to buy her something here and there, she doesn't really care. The biggest TF i bought was SDCC Blaster here yesterday, and she just sighed until I told her it came with 3 cassettes as well, which she totally understood.

I mean, she even put an Autobot sticker on her car, plus an emblem on her steering wheel. Her car is her "toy", and Transformers are mine, plus my collection of Mighty Muggs, which she loves.

Now my mom on the other hand, cannot stand that I buy toys. She thinks they are the biggest waste of money and space. But I'm only home during the summers, otherwise I'm off at school in a different town. But the thing is she checks my checking account online to see what I've bought recently then gives me a 20 minute lecture on how buying toys is gonna make me fail outta college (Yeah, I don't know either).

12. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    My girlfriend supports anything I do and is happy if I'm happy.
    It's a mutual thing we have going in our relationship.

Weirdly enough though, I'm the one that thinks I'm out of control at times.
    I'm almost done with my G1 Japanese collection, so this madness will end soon.
    :crazy: 

13. Logos Minor

Logos Minor Enabler

News Credits:
    My parents are fairly supportive. I'm the one who actually thinks I get over the top. My SO? Doesn't exist, yet.

14. King Henrik

King Henrik Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    i have it made... my fiancee, mother and best friend (all female) all call me every time they're in a toy store :D 

15. hotspot_2001

hotspot_2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My wife is generally fine with my collecting. I was collecting before we started dating so it isn't like it came as any surprise to her. Also, I do a decent job of keeping my spending within reason though it certainly adds up to a lot over time.

She isn't crazy about Transformers herself but she knows it's something I enjoy and it keeps me away from spending money on worse things. She kind of likes Beast Wars because she remembers it from when she was younger and every once in a while she likes some of the toys, mainly the pink ones.

I've even convinced her to go to the last three Botcons with me and she seems to want to go to the next one so it's worked pretty well, though the locations certainly helped.

16. Kupp

Kupp Relic of a time before time. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My wife wouldn't even think to open her mouth, especially given the size of her Doll Collections.

17. TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have the ultimate wife. I know for a fact that she bought me leader class starscream for my birthday, which is in august. She also told me she bought 4 other ones, 2 deluxes and 2 voyager class. But she wont tell me which ones. She says they look cool displayed in our home theater. Plus, she collects skunks, and I let her display those in our living room, with nary a complaint.

18. machinegeist

machinegeist Victory not Vengeance

My wife is supportive, even buys a few for me here and there. Sometimes I go through them and sell ones I don't display or have lost interest in, or give them to my nephews. She does like ravage though cause she bought herself a hftd legends ravage. She does get kinda bothered over shinkis though at times, but as long as I help pay debts and keep up with the bills she lets me have them. I also occasionally buy her new clothes or a random plushie or whatever else catches her eye. Like today I bought myself a leader Starscream and got her new Doc Martin's that she liked. Its all about compromise and communication. None of this bullshit she likes it or she shuts up.

19. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    only 10% of my total income goes to toys so no one's really complaining.

20. King Henrik

King Henrik Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    10% sounds like a lot. i guess it all depends on how much you make... not that i'm asking, but if you're around college age or younger with a part time job 10% doesn't seem so bad, but if you're an adult with a career... 10% can be scary(ex. 30k salary=3k on toys)...