Our Planet-narrated by Sir David Attenborough

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by ShinGi, Nov 11, 2018.

1. ShinGi

ShinGi Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  2. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

Looks great!

Although it also seems like it's very derivative of Planet Earth, Planet Earth II, and Life. Not that there's anything wrong with that, as I love all of those and think they're fantastic, but I'd love for BBC Earth to come up with something again that's just as daring as Blue Planet, or Planet Earth, or Walking With Dinosaurs. Extremophiles and extreme environments, perhaps?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

I feel like with a title of Our Planet, perhaps, we may also have episodes regarding human impact on nature and nature of humans and possibly origins of certain species. Maybe even some episodes regarding prehistoric epochs.

But I'm fine either way with a Planet Earth clone series. I love zoology and Sir David. Hope they focus on different species that haven't been focused on in previous BBC Earth titles. Love to see a segment on the Binturong.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Galvatross

I feel Planet Earth II mentioned more of the human impacts than in the past, especially given it had a whole episode dedicated to urban wildlife.

It's funny you mention prehistoric epochs though, as it made me think of what the next one would be.

My imaginary dream series, which is never going to happen for obvious reasons, would be a Planet Earth, but 100 million years ago ( Or however long ago you want your time machine to go). So you don't only see big herds of dinosaurs in the world's open areas and woodlands and ammonites and marine reptiles in shallow waters, but also other, lesser known environments. What lived in Cretaceous caves? What roamed the alpine areas, cloud forests, and high plateaus of the Mesozoic? What about now sunken land masses, like around Kerguelen or much of Zealandia? What invertebrates and fish lived in the Cretaceous abyssal plains? Were there bizarre lineages of birds, pterosaurs, and other creatures on Mesozoic oceanic islands? One can only imagine the sights and sounds that might be recorded given the incompleteness of the fossil record!

Now, since that obviously isn't being made, I'd say the next thing I'd do is one on the Mesozoic in the modern world. Birds of all sorts, which are living dinosaurs, and how they're similar to their archosaurian ancestors. Tuataras in New Zealand, with their super slow metabolisms, lifestyles, and life cycles. Coelacanths in the Indian Ocean. Monotremes in Australasia. Strange amphibians who have their roots in the Mesozoic, like the fairly recently described two purple frog species in Nasikabatrachus of India. Crocodiles and their kin. Solenodons in the Caribbean. The chambered nautilus. Sea turtles and sea snakes, which were the marine reptiles that survived the mass extinction. Dung beetles and how they diversified not in tandem with the evolution of giant sauropods, but with the rise of flowering plants and angiosperm-filled poop. The breakup of Pangaea's effects on modern biodiversity. It would be similar in some respects to previous Planet Earths, but viewed through a Mesozoic lens.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Autoboticon

I love the sounds of that.

I would love a new planet earth series based on the Pilocene Epoch, portrayed much like how Planet Earth is filmed.

Also, if BBC Earth and Gamefreak/Nintendo ever wanted to collaborate to expand on this stuff below, I'd be so down for it, cause I love the idea of seeing Pokemon live and thrive in the nature of their world as any species of animals would.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Perhaps Sir David should voice the Pokédex if he be able when they make a mainstream Pokémon movie after Detective Pikachu.

7. Galvatross

If we're going to go that route, I'd like to see an "Animals and Mythology" type BBC series with the inspiration for deep sea monsters, dragons, unicorns, cryptid hominids, etc. I'd be really impressed if there was footage of saola, Javan rhinos, or wild Sumatran rhinos, or new footage of oarfish, giant squid, or colossal squid.

• Like Like x 1
  8. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    That would be terrific!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Autoboticon

Okapi and Platypus once being thought cryptids would also be cool to have on that.