Our local DM.net resident Wonkimus has seen the TF2 movie in Japan! *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by FreakNasty, Jun 8, 2009.

1. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bollocks. Japanese child shows (anime) aired on regular TV channels show people being cut in half and otherwise brutally murdered, how would giant robots trashing each other be inappropiate?

I think what he means is that
    other then the brief scene when he crahses through a house in robot mode, Sideways stays in car mode until cut in half by Sideways - just like in the ROTF comic.

2. FreddyGruesum

FreddyGruesum Well-Known Member

oooh get ready to be disapointed again then lol

3. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

What makes the Twins so special to you? Sideswipe, for example looks better than any of them on several accounts.

4. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    After Bayformers 1, and especially after the giant plot-loophole mess that was Star Trek, I was not expecting anything good from Orci and Kurtzmann script-wise.

Action wise, I will only watch the movie to see some designs I like (Long Haul, Rampage, Ransack, Ejector and his friends, the Doctor) in action - otherwise, I will probably watch it only 1-2 times like the first movie, and then go back to re-watching Animated.

I was hoping Hasbro would have more control in the movie, IE ensuring fan favourites are brought back (I mean, they could have easily sold a new Bonecrusher toy if he was revived for this movie and given more screentime) or that Decepticons are more then cannon fodder.

What I fail to understand is, how is it profitable to develop a working, transforming model for a robot, and (like again, Bonecrusher in 2007) only use it for 1 minute. I mean, the CGI is there, the model is working, use it dammit!

Well, here's hoping that 10 years from now, an aging Zemeckis will decide to take the offer Hasbro gave him 10 years ago and direct a new Transformers movie, that'll be as epic as Back to The Future was at its time.

5. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

While I will agree that the movie should try to stray from G1 whenever possible, I think they should not mess with formula that works. Soundwave has a synth voice in G1, and every other series, it is an integral part of what makes Soundwave Soundwave. He is one of those great characters that can change so much over time because he needs very little to retain his "key" character traits. And I think it's more than just a "tiny amount of fans" that care about that.

Just because John Q Public won't really notice the difference does not mean that they have to needlessly step on fans toes. Pleasing one group doesn't have to come at the expense of the other. Look to other franchise adaptations, the good ones anyway, and you usually find a little something for everyone. I'm all for new and innovative, but "new" does not necessarily imply "better."

How far does the history of the series and its characters have to be "watered down" before the movie just becomes "Things That Transform Into Other Things: The Movie"?

6. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I think the twins look Ok except for the faces being a bit freeky - I actually like the asymetrical hands as a feature... though the lack of a combined robot mode for them makes that feature now a bit illogical and redundent - perhaps the desin docs that show the abandonded mode will leak out or be in an art book sometime.

I agree about the lack of Bonecrusher too and I feel the same about Brawl too. if only because I like the desert scheme colors and would have liked to see them used - thinking about the exotic M1 picks that were on the Transformers Live ction Movie blog the other day reminded me of that.

I think if I remember the sources correctly Soundwave "half transforms" he has the satellite mode see on the BK kids meal toy and he has the 2nd robot mode the toy has - no legs and sort of tenticles (seen in the comic book) but he lacks the Hasbro proper robot mode the toy has. and he uses the white colored head in the movie that is seen on the toys vehicle mode - not the blue one.

I still hope that they make toys of dropped characters like an Earth mode Soundwave and a NEST Force Hound and a Voyager Springer as toys as well as a Landmine NEST force repaint perhaps. A videogame "red" edition Ironhide would be nice too. as a store exclusive premium packed in his robot mode.

7. primal-convoy

primal-convoy Well-Known Member

I was thinking of going to the premier and trying to get an autograph but then thought "Id rather get a curry with the missus in saitama instead".

I have no regrets. The indian restaurant was choc-block full of annoying Japanese nerds and their pushy, anti-social ways.

I have no regrets.

Did anyone who attended get the pointless Japanese style "Swine Flu" test?

8. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

I think they look interesting and I like their voices and attitudes from what I have seen/Read about them.

Just like how when we first saw animated designs people railed against bulkhead as a generic fatass character, he ended up being a really great and fun character overall, especiallyw hen we saw he was really a spacebridge genius.

I am looking forward to 'meeting' the twins instead of seeing some G1 characters shoehorned into a movie and then feeling let down by comparisons to other incarnations. The twins will either stand or fall on their own actions, not compared to them in a previous lifetime.

I don't feel the movie needs any more 'fanservice' than it already has. I think the Kitchen crew sounds much more clever and fun than stuffing a voice-synthed soundwave into the movie. Dewbot was much more enjoyable to more people than some obscure G1 reference.

9. Dran0n

Dran0n junk male

News Credits:
    Cool but, I'm out of here! Don't want to spoil myself.

10. GoldenGraham89

GoldenGraham89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Didnt a certain someone say "if u thought optimus prime was big wait til u see soundwave....he's huge!"

11. TankRizzo

TankRizzo Well-Known Member

Did we ever hear whether or not Jolt is actually in the movie?

12. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I will say that I have no problem with a completely reimagined Transformers. However, if you are going to do that, then just come up with completely new characters. Either stay true to the source or don't. But don't do anything in between. That is when people harbor resentment. That would also ensure that ALL TF fans would watch the movie with a completely open mind.

I do disagree with your take of looking down upon previous fans of older series. If Hasbro keeps treating its fan base so callously, it will not be a good thing. Each successive generation will alienate the previous audience by remaking characters they know a certain way. The fan who grew up with Animated and loves Bulkhead will become resentful when Bulkhead is reimagined for the next series. In your instance, the only happy people are the current generation of kids who have no previous connection to TFs. Every older generation fan will feel slighted.

But I digress, I have no problem with the new movie. Just use different names. Going with your own logic, the lay-man does not know anything about TFs but Optimus Prime turning into a red truck. Thats the only name they will know. So why bother using the name Bumblebee or Soundwave? Why not just make up new names for those characters if all you care about is the lay-man?

13. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You can't be cheated by something that never owed you anything to begin with. And I'll wait until I actually SEE the movie before I pass any kind of judgement.

14. TranstechCat

TranstechCat Cybernetic Chimpanzee

So, what exactly are people reading here? Cause I see no links... :confused: 

15. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Some fans are capable of not feeling slighted and taking it personally when a character's name is used to represent a totally unique character or a character is similar to a previous design but still re-imagined.

Hasbro is not out to cornhole me personally or the fans when they re-use a character name differently or change a character to act or appear differently than a previous incarnation. When people do take it personally,t he problem is with them personally, not the re imagining.

I think Animated prowl is a perfect example... People were upset he was not a stoic G1 black and white cop car. But Prowl was a great character and addition to the franchise. Did hasbro screw me personally and rape my childhood because he is different from G1? Nope. Will Hasbro rape my childhood when Bulkhead is changed in a future series? Nope.

You don't have to feel personally slighted to be a 'true fan'. It is fun to have cameo name usages, but I don't need g1 perfect characters to feel like Bay/Hasbro have 'serviced' the fans enough to not screw them.

If you feel screwed or harbor resentment over this movie, then you have serious mental issues that go far past transformers.

16. jadtdt

jadtdt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ...I dunno, didn't they? Who are you talking about?

Not from this source, but he's still just as confirmed to be in the movie as he has been for months.
    Transformers Live Action Movie Blog: Transformers 2 Tokyo Premiere Video, Spoilers (Updated)

17. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    I went, and was surprised to be admitted into the main arena area (they didn't have enough VIPs to fill it I guess). I was number 614, and I estimate, there were about 800 people there in the arena area. I met three fans who were students from Texas A&M, and I had a great time. We were interviewed by a few Japanese news crews (one was a Hokaido station, and I don't know the other one).

I hope the curry was good, because you missed one hell of a time.

Once the actors were on stage, and everyone was introduced, they tried to get the fan to cheer and roar, but it just wasn't happening. The crowd was almost quiet. I yelled "Micheal Bay Rocks !" over the crowd, and he actually replied from stage "Thank You". Is there a way to post video here without using Youtube?

Didn't get to see the movie, but man it was a fun experience !

18. Lionsgate

Lionsgate Well-Known Member

I am still expecting this movie to be all kinds of awesome but yeah I too am dissapointed. Arcee basically just has a cameo. I mean it just seems like a wasted opportunity to me. They have a female transformer and most likely don't explain it or give her any lines. Not to mention her design from the first movie was better, and now we have 3 bikes in a movie that are specifically there because they were supposed to combine, but they don't. There is no point in all 3 of those bikes being Arcee now. This movie is gonna be great but it is clearly rushed and the final product is going to leave a lot unexplained. Too many bots. Because Arcee doesn't have an alt mode that promotes and existing car people can buy, she doesn't get a lot of screentime. I hate how much of this movie is just a big advertisement for cars sometimes. Anyone else agree? I mean Jolt is there because of that reason and that reason alone.

19. Stahi

Stahi Well-Known Member

I just clicked that link, searched for Welker, found what I really wanted to know and blipped back out.

Also saw who Tony Todd voiced and I'm not too surprised. His voice fits the look of the character too.

CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT. :D 

20. Mega-con

Mega-con Autocon

Ebay:
    Problem is people need some sort of reference to make the movie attractive. If they call it "Transformers" and don't have any single type of call back to G1, then the movie would not be as successful. Plain and simple.

And I think even the lay-man knows Bumblebee, Starscream and Megatron. Using Lennon's methaphor, they're more popular than Jesus Christ.