Original pretenders vs modern pretenders

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tfcollector97, Jul 21, 2022.

?

Original pretender vs modern pretenders

This poll will close on Jul 21, 2032 at 8:06 PM.
  1. Original

35.6%
  2. Modern

42.2%
  3. Neither

20.0%
  4. Both

13.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Then we have Skyshadow, where they said "Screw the Pretender gimmick, make him a Leader Class Duocon Headmaster!"

tr-sky-shadow-01.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Magnum Dongus

Magnum Dongus Wishing for a reboot

I think there’s absolutely no point in making pretenders if you’re going to completely ignore their primary gimmick. If some people hate pretenders so much then I don’t see why they want to dictate how they’re portrayed from now on. I say it’s time us Pretender Likers™ are thrown a bone!!!

• Like Like x 3
  3. MetalkingRazor

MetalkingRazor Well-Known Member

I didn’t grew up with the original pretender gimmick, but I actually prefer the original concept of Pretenders as I like the idea of Transformers being placed in a powered suit or shell to both power up and repair their smaller inner robot bodies if they get damaged. Not saying I hate the idea of how they been doing the recent Pretenders. That said, I would like more similar figures to toys like the original G1 Thundewing where the shell transformed in addition to the inner robot. I can understand doing updated versions of characters based on their shell since not all of the inner robots look good. But I would hope we get something similar to exo suits or something if we ever get updates that are truer to the Pretender concept.

• Like Like x 1
  4. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That’s about as close to pretenders as I’d want to get. Pretenders were like the billboard-posterchild-deathknell end of G1 toys for me. Once I saw those and Action Masters, I knew the party was over. In my mind, they are to G1 TFs what E.T. was to the Atari 2600.

5. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is engaged to a model

News Credits:
    Modern. The characters are cool and all but I think they are just fine being characters who look how they do without the gimmick. Skullgrin and Iquanus from Legacy are great examples. Or Skullgrin from Generations for that matter. Having them in skin suits made sense twice; the 1980s to sell toys, and the 2000's to sell IDW1 comics. But to make the original gimmick work now would be nonsensical and to make the IDW1 gimmick work would take figures needing to be voyager class at least by today's standards.

I would love some of the characters to be redone in Legacy like Landmine or Cloudburst. I can't think of a way to give them flesh shells and not seem silly.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pretenders has to be my least favorite G1 gimmick. Frankly it makes no sense. Who are they exactly think they are fooling? Giant monsters or Giant humans in suits are going to be pretty easy to figure out.

The comic had the idea the suit and inner robot could both fight but if the suit gets damaged, the robot feels it. Later issues, instead of robots, we got Skeletor, WWF guy and Squidboy adventures. That issue where pretenders got introduced was the worst. Give me Carwash of Doom any day over that garbage.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    In fairness, that was because Hasbro was making Overlord and Sixshot, and wanted all three of IDWs Phase Sixers in a consistent scale.

I'm personally disappointed we never got a gigantic Thunderwing out of the deal.

8. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    I like it all honestly. Sure, elaborate, huge toys that do everything the G1 toys/anime did would be great and is my preference, but if the option is "hybrid" or nothing, I'll take the hybrids any day. Iguanus is a fun little toy and I'd love more like him - but at the same time I'm pining for a full-feature leader/commander Thunderwing.

The one "middle ground" we haven't seen much of that I would be okay with is to just simply get the inner robot. Legacy Skullgrin is basically just the inner robot in a helmet - I'd have been fine with him just being the inner robot only. You could always come back and make a shell later, or even have third party shells.

tl;dr- I'd prefer the full-feature voyager+ for everyone, but I made peace with being happy to see a niche within a niche get some love at all

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gumblor Gimbles

Gumblor Gimbles Norn' Ironhide

News Credits:
    I hate to say it, but if you like modern pretenders more than the originals, then you don't like fun.

...unless these are the modern pretenders you're talking about :p 
    09motouto2.jpg
    reduced-image_10640_106.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  10. Rojixus

Rojixus Generation 2 Forever!

There's nothing fun about Pretenders, I hate to break it to you.

11. Gumblor Gimbles

News Credits:
    Which is why they totally weren't popular, and hasbro definitely didn't make 38 of them. (More than headmasters or powermasters...)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rojixus

Rojixus Generation 2 Forever!

And why haven't they made new Pretenders in over 30 years, then? Pretenders were just a flash in the pan of a declining toyline. If it weren't for characters like Bludgeon or Thunderwing, everyone would've probably forgotten about that ridiculous gimmick a long time ago.

Now Combiners? That's an actual good gimmick, which is why that keeps getting revisited as opposed to "Transformers in a plastic coat".

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gumblor Gimbles

News Credits:
    ok

14. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    I wouldn't call that a popularity thing as much as Hasbro saying "we're doing this for two years because regular action figures (i.e. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) are suddenly kicking our butts" - which then extended into Actionmasters. Basically, Hasbro stabbed itself to death by chasing trends instead of finding ways to make their product stand out with the basic premise of "robot changes into car"...and squandered the idea of marketing through TV.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SWSuperior

SWSuperior Constructicons Inferior

I didn't like Pretenders when they came out. The inner robots transformations were boring and the alternate modes too simplistic. I was into gi Joe at the time as well, so I was not pleased with a giant, poorly articulated shell that was supposed to be played with.

That being said, nowadays, I enjoy the aesthetics of Skullgrin and Octopunch and the weird rubbery decepticon monster shells. Also, thunderwing is amazing. I am not opposed to the concept, but it needs to be more than a gimmick that compromises the most important part--transformation

• Like Like x 2
  16. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    G1 Pretenders were bad because they didn't have any articulation because of the simplistic budget-conscious design. If the shells had knees, hips, elbows, ankle tilt, if you could actually use them as action figures, they would be a lot more fun and maybe, probably, hopefully, more generally accepted.

17. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To an extent I'd agree, but the inner robots were fairly all the same, very poorly designed, cheaply done and didn't offer much more articulation than the shells to be honest. (The few I have speaks to that)

I actually really like the POTP concept as the best one because the idea of the 13 primes was actually good, sadly, the idiots at Hasbro stopped at 8 and then filled the rest of the 13 into add-ons (without shells) for exclusives.

The concept taking it as the shells being to hide the 13 primes was good, and that they turned into "cores" was interesting, but that the shells became targetmasters for the combiners (or larger figures) was also a good idea.

I can see the concept of the armour for the robots being interesting but by design, humanoid or monster heads tend to look odd so they'd have to be done well, but Skullgrin as revealed is not promising.

18. RKStrikerJK5

RKStrikerJK5 number one Bangles fan on the boards

News Credits:
    This so much. And the Autobot shells were so boring. A dude in a funky spacesuit. Well, not even that funky. More like... soft rocky. They provided little to no play value compared to other lines at the time. And open them up... to reveal a poorly-articulated robot that mostly transformed by raising their arms, folding their legs and sticking some greeblies onto them. A lazy transformation that didn't wow me then, or now.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

I liked Pretenders. They were a neat gimmick and gave some of us a chance to get a Bumblebee, Jazz, or Grimlock or other figures if we missed out on the originals. Plus the Decepticons had some awesome looking monsters.

That being said, I do like what Hasbro's doing with them now. I like the look of Skullgrin as a deluxe. I can't wait for more. I'm very excited. It's a great way to introduce more variety into the line. And I'm all for variety.