Heavy/Scratch: Optimus Trailer/Weapons Cache

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Big Hache, Feb 28, 2012.

1. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

Definitely interested in the shield and cannon. I don't think the abs are necessary with Jetwing Prime getting a "domestic" release, but I can see a market for it if people don't want to get the Amazon release. I preordered it, so I'm set.

2. BLK-OUT 4500X

BLK-OUT 4500X Well-Known Member

Any pics of the bigger gun yet ?

3. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign None shall stand all shall fall

News Credits:
    Wouldn't it be much more feasible to have one printed. Clean that up and make a mold out of it so you can pour some yourself?

iDD

4. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I'm not sure what I'm going to do now. I'm waiting to hear more about the KO Striker and Jetwing accessories Robotkingdom posted on their Facebook page before ordering other Optimus add-ons...

5. Big Hache

Big Hache Perfect

News Credits:
    Hehe, ok, hint taken.

OK no problem.

Yeah that's what I was thinking and why I asked. Though I do know Janeails22x is wanting it.

Not yet, just ordered the new size so I will post as soon as it comes in. Shapeways' estimated delivery was Aug. 6.

Good question, and this is where I started looking at getting a printer myself. No, I don't think it's more feasible to have items printed anymore. Two big reasons:
    1) Time frame - like I said above, I just ordered some of my pieces to take pics for you guys but I won't get them for two and a half weeks. If I could print this out myself I could upload pics tomorrow... even if I was just offering prints through Shapeways.
    2) Cost of prints - my last upload of the TFP trailer for Optimus was $150 and the model wasn't even complete yet AND that was for WSF. Not only am I not willing to pay that, I wouldn't expect anyone else to pay that, much less any kind of markup. Shapeways has also stated that WSF is not a suitable material for molding so I would need to look at FD/FUD or even White Detail which doubles my printing cost.

Let's say the TFP trailer costs me $400 to print in White Detail. I mold and cast that, sell a few, probably don't get a $400 ROI. I have another model come up later. Same thing, costs $400 to get a master print, mold/cast that, sell a few. Well I just spent $800 not to mention the time in between any test prints and I'm no further ahead. Or, I could spend $600 now, print pieces myself for MUCH less, then have the option to mold/cast. That's the way I see it and why I jumped on it.

Right on. Well Robotkingdom can probably offer a more final looking product than I can with Shapeways for cheaper. Up to you. At the end of the day this started as a project for myself and if anyone else wanted some of the action cool.

Several of you have supported my Shapeways shop and I really appreciate it! I've had a blast doing this stuff and it just keeps expanding and getting more cool. Oh and speaking of support, I need to get my badge for this site...

6. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Are the UFO shield and axe rip-offs of your designs like their Optimus hands are rip-offs of Fakebusker83's? I thought I read that they were different before, but if they're just stealing your design I'd rather order from you. When will you make the shield available again?

7. Big Hache

Big Hache Perfect

News Credits:
    Their ax is definitely different. One main point is the Cybertronian glyph is the same on both of their blades. I used a different glyph on each blade. I mean, they're both based on the same design so it makes sense they would share similarities. For the shield mine has a folding mechanism, I think theirs is just a flat piece.

Last night I ordered new test prints of the gun and shield and the expected ship date is Aug. 6th. I won't have my printer for another 7-9 weeks so getting a test print of these was faster for now. If everything looks good on the shield I'll make that available on either the 6th or 7th. I did a soft release on the gun. It's available but I won't be able to show the new size yet. The pieces all worked like a champ so the new size won't change that.

8. jaraxel

jaraxel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    same, unless wife-aggro gets too bad... (getting very bad at the TF collections....)

9. Big Hache

Big Hache Perfect

News Credits:
    Well the only thing I can do about that is possibly offer the weapons directly from me once my printer comes in. The benefit being I should be able to offer prints cheaper than Shapeways. Now, I *do* still have to verify what my prints will actually look like as it's a different process with a different material. However, this may prove to be a viable option. I would also like to get into casting but that will most probably be a stage 2 down the road thing.

10. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

The trailer is what I'm more interested in now. So much potential for awesomeness.

11. BLK-OUT 4500X

The pics of the gun look like it's warped or bent . Thats what I see when I look at it . Or is it just the pics .

12. Big Hache

Big Hache Perfect

News Credits:
    OK I see what you're saying. I think it's how I've assembled the pieces, which should be even easier with the larger size.

13. BLK-OUT 4500X

Thanks man for seeing it too . I was thinking it was just me lol . Great job can't wait to see the bigger version of the gun cause I want one .

14. Big Hache

Big Hache Perfect

News Credits:
    lol No problem. Just a few more weeks and I can prototype this stuff at homeā€¦

15. BLK-OUT 4500X

How much do you think it will cost for a leader size gun .

16. Big Hache

Big Hache Perfect

News Credits:
    It's actually available in my Shapeways shop (see sig). I'm not pushing it though until I receive my new sample.

17. Big Hache

Big Hache Perfect

News Credits:
    Well, shield will come in, cannon won't. Shapeways informed me of a problem with the model. Unfortunately, this problem didn't exist the first time I printed it because that piece magically disappeared and was never heard from again, so I had no way of knowing it was a problem. This inconsistency with Shapeways is not working. The larger problem though is when I place an order with Shapeways I always order at least two items because the shipping cost. Now they've invalidated my model and I can't revise it to make it on the existing order. Frustrating.

I've read at least one other user here who's had similar issues where a model prints one time, then oops it's not a valid model now. Well which is it? Argh.

18. Janeails22x

Janeails22x Collector & Customizer

News Credits:
    I can attest that Big Haches work is stunning. The shield is amazing is/will be the best one you can buy on the market, hands down.

Keep up the great work, BH!

19. SantaClaus

SantaClaus Well-Known Member

Hey mate. Once you solve the Shapeways problem, could you please try and resize the shield for revoltech prime? And just make it a one piece to make it easy. Thanks. love your work.

20. Big Hache

Big Hache Perfect

News Credits:
    I can take a look at that sure. I just don't have a Revoltech Prime.