2D Artwork: Optimus Sketch

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Scrapmaker, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker For the Honor

Since I had some free time today, I decided to sketch my own design for Optimus.

I found that it's easier to design a transforming robot if you have the alternate mode first--well, it was for me.

The Sketch
    Yeah, it's bad quality, but it isn't the scanner's fault. It was a mistake on my own part. I didn't want an Optimus that had the same old window chest and his legs become the back of the truck mode, so I put a little spin on it and had his arms become the back of the truck mode and the front turn into his legs. The only problem was that I couldn't design his legs because I couldn't figure out how the nose of the truck would transform, so you just get the torso. Yes, I gave him Movie Optimus' flame paint too.

I actually came up with a story to go with this Optimus too. I'll probably post it later.

EDIT: Better quality?
    I think so.
    Also included, a modified Path Blaster. Comes with Grappling Claw.

EDIT2: Now featuring a colored in head. Why just the head? Because it's the only part of the original drawing I actually liked.
    The basic idea here is that when he activates his mouth plate, his face becomes a little more fierce, basically giving the impression that he's about to go beat the slag out of his enemies, while he looks more level-headed and calm without it. I think perhaps a light shade of blue might work better for his face though...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  2. Optimus-wave

Optimus-wave A.K.A. Omega-Wave

I like the overall design a lot; Redesigning prime is always a fun but risky thing to do, so kudos! I think that if you let the crest have a portion of it stretch back (like in g1/cybertron,etc) then you will have a much more prime-esque face. Just my 2 cents.

3. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks nice.

4. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    That's pretty cool. :)  He looks like a mix between Prime Ratchet and Movie Optimus.

5. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker For the Honor

Here is his head. Again.

So I think I've made the final color adjustments to his head and face. I completely remade the masked face to make it look like a cleaner transition. Personally I like it better than the old one.

@Optimus-wave
    I think the crest looks fine the way it is, but I might apply your suggestion to another drawing if I ever find the time.

@transformerwars
    Thank you.

@kaiju
    The movie Optimus part was intentional, but the Prime Ratchet wasn't. Looking at it, I do see Ratchet in there...

Just a few things I had in mind for the story behind this Optimus. First off, though I don't think I need to point this out, I went for a younger approach, a little more laid back and fun than the usual grim-speech machine we keep getting. But, he still has his noble attitude and willingness to sacrifice himself if need be. This would be connected to an event prior to his promotion to "Prime" rank. He used to be more reckless, overconfident and arrogant. He also had a "brother," a character that had been brought online at roughly the same time as Optimus and had almost the same body-type (though with a few differences, such as color). No, he isn't Magnus. At some point, while Optimus was still classified in "Minor" Rank(s), they were on a mission scouting Decepticon territory on another planet with at least six others. During this mission, an accident occurred wherein most of the team was lost, his "brother" among the supposed casualties. Optimus blamed himself for the accident, and has since lived everyday regretting it. He even almost turned down the promotion to Prime Rank(s) because of it, only accepting the promotion because Ironhide encouraged him to (the circumstances leading to the promotion are seperate from the accident).

However, Optimus' brother survived. He was repaired by a scientist, who wasn't aligned with either side. The same scientist performed several mental and psychological experiments on him, overriding his more rational thought-processes and increasing his anger toward Optimus, and eventually outright programming the false memory that Optimus had abandoned him. Some time later, he would track Optimus to Earth, having donned the name "Scourge." He chose the name out of proclamation that he is "The scourge of Optimus' existence."

I did actually design Scourge's head, but due to some issues I'm unable to scan it in right now. Just picture my Optimus design with a few scars, a missing portion of the side of his face, yellow eyes, and faded black and purple paint.

6. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker For the Honor

TF: Frontier

So I've decided to call this universe Transformers: Frontier. A little corny, but it works. Plus, I like the sound of it.

Anyway, I've created a design for a Seeker, not really any specific one though (I know I labeled it as Starscream, but I gave it some thought and I think maybe the body would work better for Skywarp). However, the head I designed is for Starscream.

It's got chicken legs!

Proportions are a little weird, angles are inconsistent, and the legs are too short (even for what I was going for). I need to take some art classes. Still, all things considered I did pretty good. Just gotta fix those little issues...Maybe get some bigger paper...

7. Ømnidrive

Ømnidrive Stop.....think......fart.....and keep on going

This is doing great KEEP EM COMING!!!!

8. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker For the Honor

A better fit for Starscream.
    I also tried drawing Trypticon, but that hasn't been going well...All I can say is that he's primarily inspired by his War Within design. As for this, I took his G1/Animated designs and merged them with his Prime and Movie designs. It turned out pretty good. I forgot to work out how he'd transform though....

9. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    ^Starscream's looking sweet. Can't wait for the finished product. :D 

10. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker For the Honor

Two new guys!

First, The small and annoying, but very reliable Bumblebee!
    Inspired a little by his Animated design (mainly his head).

Second, the dull-witted but powerful Tankor!
    I honestly consider Tankor, Starcream and Bumblebee the best of the bots I've drawn thus far. I also drew an OC called Cast Iron, but I'm still working out his design. I tried drawing Seaspray too, with a Submarine alt-mode (mini-sub really), but that didn't go very well...

11. Ømnidrive

SCRAP YEA!!!

I like what your doing

12. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    These are some really cool designs dude. I really like where this is heading...

13. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker For the Honor

Eh, no drawing today. Spent most of my free time trying to draw a human character. I can draw robots, I can draw horrific monsters, and I can draw abominations from another dimension, but I cannot draw humans.
    The idea at least was a female character. Not a kid, not a teen, but an adult (early-mid 20s more specifically). Old enough that she has had training to some degree, military and how to fight, so she wouldn't be useless. There would be at least one kid character that's related to her. At some point she would get an exosuit, being actually able to defend herself from Decepticons and be of real help to the Autobots (this would occur early on, not too long after her introduction). I haven't really worked out a name for her though.

I'll probably draw and scan Thundercracker tomorrow though. My idea for him is that he's something of an ego-maniac, but he's morally ambiguous.

14. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker For the Honor

15. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker For the Honor

Hardshell, yeesssss...
    I basically mixed the Prime Insecticon design with the FoC Hardshell design. Hopefully you can at least tell what my idea was for how he transforms.
    EDIT: The Beetle Mode is actually larger, but I needed more room for his robot mode.

16. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Liking how Hardshell looks so far. :) 

17. Ømnidrive

Nerd.............GASM JUST HAD ONE FROM THE ART!!!