Optimus Prime too Weak?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Karmic Buddha, Mar 15, 2008.

1. masterjetfire

masterjetfire Dying Grad Student

Ditto

2. rabbid1

rabbid1 Well-Known Member

Wussymus Prime.

At least in the original, the Matrix seemed to empower its carrier with equal strength to the enemy. Sure, Megs tossed Prime enough times... but how many times did we see Prime clobber Megs and do that pro wrestler move and throw him?

Movie Prime might have been powerful to the other Decepticons, but was a wimp to Megatron.

3. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:

Well true prime was alot smaller then megs but in essence it doesnt matter how strong you are, tactics can always beat the most formidible opponent.

4. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Prime wasn't too weak Megs was just alittle too big/bad a##

5. kurochan_24

kurochan_24 Well-Known Member

I have no problem with Prime being weaker than Megs. At least it really depits Megs as a menace. But we should've at least seen Prime geting more licks in as in the animated movie.

6. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    He did get some good licks in... they were just mostly in the background... so if you're not watching close when the action is on Blackout and Captain Lennox... you'll miss anything that makes Prime look like he had a chance of beating Megatron. Though, I do wonder why Prime didn't stab him with his sword while he was using Megatron as a hangglider at the begining of their first fight... would have been my best beat right there...

7. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

yeah in g1 it was really no differant megatron would constantly beat the poo out of prime i mean prime would get a good hit on megatron sometimes but most of the time megatron came out on top

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Supposedly Prime would've lost or damaged his blade fighting Barricade, but since that scene was omitted (and for good reason as we know now) it seems weird that he would only use it once. But still, it doesn't detract from the fight for me.

9. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Yeah, that was in the book which was based off the original script right?

I noticed in the movie that, after Prime takes out Bonecrusher, you get a lingering shot on Prime's face that keeps moving closer so that you can see Prime's eyes moving back and forth and he seems to be staying in a semi-crouched position as if he's waiting for someone else to show up... Barricade of course sense that's the only other Decepticon that was chasing them on the highway. I guess at the last minute they changed the script because they decided to keep Barricade around for the next movie.

Still, even so, I think that those issues should have been addressed. Both Prime's singular use of his sword and Barricade just never showing up again.

Something as simple as panning up from Prime after he defeats Bonecrusher and than we see Barricade looking down at Prime and than have him Transform and get out of there as he'd probably decide it wouldn't be wise for him to take on the Autobot leader by himself... especially sense I would beat that Bonecrusher was probably stronger than Barricade.

And, as for Prime's sword, well if he had stabbed Megs jet mode with it to get Megs to veer off into a damaged landing... than the sword could have broken off inside him or something. Course, I'm not saying that he should have shoved it in Megatron's Spark or something like that (with all the turning Megs was doing Prime probably wouldn't have been able to aim his stab good enough), but it would have been a good hit and a reason for Prime not deploying his sword in hand to hand combat with Megatron (though, Megatron not using the mace on Prime was also a bit 'strange', but less noticeable for some reason). Something that simple would have worked for me... especially as they cut a supposedly intended scene.

It doesn't really detract from the movie for me that Prime never uses his blade again, but it does kind of make me go 'huh?' that he doesn't... especially sense it would have been useful in his hand to hand fight against Megs.

Barricade's dissapearance was kind of a 'WTF?' moment though for many. I know a lot of my friends that I saw the movie with were all like 'the heck happened to Barricade?' and so on. Even something added into the ending credits (like what they did to show Screamer was still kickin') would have been better than what we got. That's probably my biggest complaint about the film though.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  10. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:
    I agree completley, it wasnt enough for the average person to wonder, but it did also make me wonder why he didn't use it. I could understand since you are being spun 360 degrees in the air between skyscrapers would be a little uneasy on the brain..or spark what have you, I dont tihnk i would be able to do soemthing like that.

And yes it would have been nice because i feel the fight between the brothers was far FAR to short for megs to die. As a matter a fact i would have been less interested in megs using his gun then his mace. I mean that thing cut that building in half with sam on it. Imagine the the struggle prime would have with something that crazy.

Yea btw, the ending deffinantley needed more kick then to watch shia and megan on the top of bumblebee suveying eachothers tonsils. I would actuay have been happy if they showed barricade and the rest of the remaing survivors in a small group speaking cybertronian....mainly this line "All hail starscream, leader of the decepticons"

11. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One shall stand & one shall fly! whee!!! (btw i was referring to the last scene in da 2007 TF movie)

12. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    Prime was not too weak. He was just what he was supposed to be. Brave, intelligent, and caring. He destroyed Bonecrusher, he just wasn't a match for Megatron.

13. O_Prime05

O_Prime05 Katsohiten Prime

I think it's like someone said earlier. He was trying to protect the people around him so he couldn't go all out in the city. I'd say if they were out in the middle of nowhere it would have been an all out brawl like it was against Bonecrusher. Prime whooped the hell out of him.

14. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:
    Yea maybe it is always like that though, prime is in his element when he is busy protecting flesh-bags all day while megatron is busy killing them and makeing for a rio-grande murder session.

15. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

Prime was too weak, hell all of the autobots were too weak they had help from the humans in defeating just about all of the decepticons which I thought was stupid but it's a movie it can't be all robots I guess.

Whoever said Megatron was stronger/more powerful then Prime in G1 don't have time to go back and quote it but wtf cartoon were you watching?

16. prime is a legend

prime is a legend Hooch is crazy.

To be fair mate I agree, I was watching a couple of the episodes and in the majority of them Optimus beats the crap out of Megatron (y'know where he does that strongman throw).

The main episodes I can recall it being any different were in the first few Pilot episodes.

17. deathdark

deathdark Member

Ebay:
    anyones weak or not depands on the story.....

18. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm glad you brought that up Karmic. I wanted to, but I wondered if it was
    already mentioned in this board. Anyway, it looked to me that Megatron
    was stronger and Prime was getting his ass kicked. When Prime fired his
    gun at Megatron, it look like it did'nt hurt Megatron. But after when Megs
    fired his fusion cannon at Prime, the impact made Prime fly about a block
    and smashed against a building. That scene always made me thought that
    Megatron was stronger.

But some are saying the reason why Prime looked weak is that he did'nt want
    humans to get killed. That can be a good reason.

19. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

OK first off the Apologists for the movie need to stop saying he was holding back because he didnt want to injure humans. By not trying to fight megatron he allowed him to cause more destruction plus the FILM never implies that is the case at all.

So you are pulling that theorie out of thin air. Especially when he grabs megatron and goes crashing through an entire building then lets megs toss him around into building and just generally destroy the entire downtown. So I would say theory debunked.

Here is another short sighted writing plot whole or director decision. The Megatron being so ultra bad ass that he doesnt even reflect the character and is just the scourge of the universe they forgot one thing. He hasnt killed Prime whom I have to assume has fought him before since there was a war between autobots and decepticons. But all of a sudden Prime after eons of fighting megs is just this happless fragile ragdoll.

The REASON Prime is not megs equal at all was Bay's decision to change the ending from Prime killing megs to Sam kills megs with the all spark. Lets not kid our selves this was a typical Hollywood move to sell an actor to the public and label it a movie with Shia in it. Stupid premise very very stupid.

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Not sure I saw Prime as the save the humans type in the film either. Heck it even seemed to really break the character of Prime to just leave Bumblebee behind to Sector Seven without even having one of the other Autobots follow them so they could spring him out. What happened to that don't leave anyone behind thing that other leaders like to talk about?

Then there was the chance to do something heroic like catch the helicopter Megatron damaged, but because the cube wasn't in the helicopter Prime just sort of lets it crash in the back ground. Nice from the visual stand point but fail as a hero since someone like Spiderman would have saved the people then went back after the bad guy.

But the biggest of the big things to wonder if Prime was really so save the humans why in the heck would he ever agree to take the cube into a human city knowing what the Decepticons were like? What happened to the old days of we have to lure the Decepticons to somewhere they can't harm the civilians? Really looking after the humans there when they couldn't even get a warning to leave the city.