Optimus Prime Re-Imagined

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by konrathink, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

they DID try changing up his design a bit, you all called it girly, with his flames.

they DID try to change up his designes, and he became a fuzzy. and Truck not monkey was born.

it'd be like taking superman, and completely changing his apparence, well it'd be like giving him this look:

http://www.supermansupersite.com/livessuit.jpg

people laugh at it, and say YOU RAPED MY CHILD HOODD!

he's become an icon.

optimus has to have the same basic look, to keep it optimus. since he has been that for such a long time. while megatron on the other hand has so many different looks that it allows him to have more variations, because he image is not nearly as iconic.

bumblebee too, has to have the same look. even if his alt mode changes, he still remains the same yellow car. he's just a muscle car now, instead of a beetle.

you can't just change an iconic character, with out getting "bay raped my child hood!"

see? they have tried it, :lol 

2. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just wish we had one continuity that lasted more than 12 months. The constant rebooting over the last decade has worn me down.

3. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed. Yet another fantastic aspect of Animated, it lasted more than one season and didn't have to start over from scratch at the beginning of each season. I get that rebooting the franchise helps bring in new fans and the life, but it gets tiring seeing a brand-new continuity start every new season. I'm hoping Prime will follow in Animated's footsteps and stick around for a few seasons.

Oh, and with regard to the drastic changes made to Superman, Batman and Spider-man, they did not sit well with the fandom at all as they changed too drastically from the norm. I think we'd see the same thing should they do it to Optimus. I'd love to see some kind of new vehicle every now and then (ala RID or Alternity), but I'm still fine with Optimus being a truck.

4. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Not to sound rude, but your exaggerating a bit.

TFA's continuity ran from December 25, 2007to May 23, 2009.Thats more then 12 months.

The one before that, the Unicron trilogy of shows, ran from August 23, 2002 till December 31, 2005.

Thats 3 years of continuity, even thou it doesnt all fit very well.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I think a more combat-oriented terrestrial altmode could work quite nicely for Optimus. Something along the lines of TFA Ultra Magnus - an armored personnel carrier or missile launching truck.

6. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Actully Spidermans black costume was very well received.Sure, there were those that wanted the original back, but the black suit was liked by much of the fandom.

As for Superman and Batmans, they were accompanied by major changes in the character or their powers, Supermans powers were completly altered, Batman wasnt Bruce Wayne....so who knows what was the true cause of the fan reactions.

7. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    D'oh...I meant to say the Iron Spidey, though personally I think the Iron Spidey look is frigging awesome.

8. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I was mixed about it.

9. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Nope.

10. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Right. Third paragraph of my post. I addressed it. They changed drastically at some point, but returned to their original and iconic look. Change for change's sake to either gain readership or give steady readers something new to look at.

The part you quoted was intended to be about how each of their costumes had differed in only slight and minor changes, going from artist to artist over the years. Like how Superman's \S/ went from a black-backed shield to a yellow-backed diamond. Or Batman's costume going from black and grey to blue and grey to all black, then back and forth depending on which books you read - and that goes without mentioning the Bat-logo. The design of Spider-Man's chest spider (or his back one for that matter), and even the direction his web design faces. That's what I meant by that.

Yes. Brett Favre.

11. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    meh, off the top off my head I'd say that Optimal Optimus, Optimus primal, both as bat and gorilla, Hero Optimus Prime, Go-Bot Optimus Prime, Machine Wars Optimus Prime, Alternators Optimus Prime, Jungle Planet
    Optimus Prime, Sport Label Convoy & Armada Optimus prime were all reinventions of him.

And before the BW whine starts about Optimus Primal not Being Optimus Prime, and just his namesake - none of the other incarnations I just listed were g1 optimus prime either, so shush - It's different charecters with different personalities.

Do I ever get tired of him? Hell no, he's an icon, and frankly I don't like it when it has been messed with. I want my Optimus Prime to be in his distinctive colour scheme, have his distinctive head, preferebly his distinctive gun and as many of his distinctive personality traits as possible.

I don't know...I don't mean to be rude or anything, but if you're tired of Optimus Prime and want to see alot of reinventions happen, then maybe you'd be better off looking outside of the transformers brand. Maybe other transforming (robot) toylines like Eldran series, Go-bots, Machine Robo, Escaflowne, Robotech, Soul of Chogokin or Godaikin is better suited for you.

I don't know...I think the reinvention of the movies were too great and created too much of a gap between transformer fans. Gonna start a thread about it.

12. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

But the 3rd paragraph of your post contradicts what you said in the 2nd paragraph.

So I wasnt sure of what you ment.Sorry.

13. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm pretty open for any kind of Optimus design AS LONG as he keeps his trademark window chest/grill torso design. Those two things are REALLY important for a Prime IMO

14. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    ^Hey, you forgot DOTM: Heavy Fuel Tank-er :D 

15. hutchprime

hutchprime Made of sterner stuff

News Credits:
    And all of those, save the black costume Spidey, were miserable failures.

And that's not even actually Batman, so it doesn't really count.

16. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think a leader figure like that is hard to reinvent though, I mean looking at the market Hasbro designers would do the right thing designing cars as cars sell well with kids and you need the leader of the cars to stand out, preferebly being bigger so, logically a truck would be the right way to go.

17. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I like how his basic design elements remains the same, yet they update him. I think this is a tradition that ought to stay.

18. konrathink

konrathink Jared Magnus

I like the idea of a rescue helicopter or to a degree the Animated Ultra Magnus type vehicle. And you can keep the same color scheme, but maybe primarily blue, with red and grey accents. It mostly seems like blue boots and a red chest and arms. I understand the iconic nature, but Megs has retained his (albeit he doesn't hold as much weight as Prime) while being reinvented.

19. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :lol  I'd have included it, but DOTM isn't officially released yet. Until it hits theaters for mass public, I still put it under "in development".

20. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Nah, I can see how it wasn't very clear. I just didn't want to go into this whole long shpeal about it and have the site assume I was inactive and lose all of the "go to the first unread" links.

Really bugs me every time that happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.