Optimus Prime quits?!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by tektektek, Nov 18, 2009.

1. ChopperByrne

ChopperByrne Well-Known Member

They're acting within character in this continuity.

Can you name all these supposed "reboots" that IDW has done?

2. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

I own the first series they released, didn't like it, why would I buy more? I've seen previews for lots of their other series, it all looks the same.

3. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    Sounds horribly ill conceived and lame.

Any Optimus I've ever known wouldn't simply decide that Transformers are bad for Earth and surrender to arrest to humans.

In any continuity Optimus has clarity of vision, and although he may think the war is harmful, the consequences of simply leaving the war and handing possible victory to Megatron is inconceivable.

I haven't liked the 3 series I read by IDW. This one sounds even worse.

PASS

4. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Interesting - I was going to post more or less the exact same thing. I normally wait for the TPBs, but this time I may actually get the individual issue to see what all the fuss is about.

From the preview, I actually can completely see Prowl taking this course of action - I'm talking the heroic Budiansky-Prowl of old of course. Why on earth did Furman (and everyone since) have to make him such a fool? To contrast with the "oh-so-kewl" Grimlock?? If this is a return to form for Prowl, then I'm all for it.

As for Prime quits - I haven't read it yet, but it sounds like he does it to go and improve human relations? I can buy Prime doing this, it sounds in-character esp if the Deceps are laying low for a while. I just hope Prowl gets leadership, or some one completely unexpected and new.

I sincerely hope it's NOT Hot Rod or Grimlock. Yawn-a-roonie.

5. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Seeing as how Prowl is Prime's second in command, it seems logical to have him replace Prime as leader. Hell, Prime didn't even show til the last page of Infiltration, and Prowl was running the show til then. If you want to get down to it, Prowl was basically calling the shots in Escalation for the most part.

6. DrawerDemon

DrawerDemon DOOOOOM!!

Wow. Lotsa folks here don't understand how press releases work.
    If it's in USA today, it ain't a spoiler anymore.

7. col

col Artobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, but unlike USA Today, TFW should know better that the fans might not want to be spoiled on the story if they don't have to. Sure, the ones who get USA Today will be spoiled, but there's no reason the people running this site couldn't hide the spoiler on the front page in consideration of those that don't get USA Today.

No matter how you get the spoiler, if it ruins the ending of a story, it's still a spoiler.

8. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That was Andy Schmidt, and am I the only one mildly disturbed by the fact that Bluestreak is his favourite Autobot not based on his personality or the cool Bluestreak stories (which there weren't many... maybe none at all unless we take Marvel's "Mind Games") but because it was the first toy he got?

It'd be like me saying "Crumble and Neutro are my favourite TFs ever 'CUZ they were my first G1 Toys LULZ!" I choose Shockwave because of his personality and the mind-blowingly great Shockwave stories I read.

Andy also said "I like Prime and Megatron too, I guess". Duh. It's like saying you like Wolverine when you are an X-Men editor.

The whole IDW comics continuum has been going down the drain since Furman was booted out of the G1 stories, but this reboot promises to be even worse then AHM. There, at least some semblance of continuity was preserved, even if it was butchered. Here, the ever cold, logical and by-the-book Prowl is a hotheaded sentimentalist, the always enthusiastic and reliable Optimus snaps after the death of one of his soldiers and surrenders to some inferior species, even though he has seen the ravages of this war happen on countless planets and did a few issues earlier tell Prowl that they should not grow attached to the humans - they most likely won't be able to save their planet...

Also, after the Decepticons mysteriously (due to getting access to Sunstreaker/Hunter's head?) defeated the Autobots galaxy-wide, have now equally mysteriously (just because Megatron got shot in the face?) been defeated galaxy-wide. And instead of routing out the remaining big names (Banzai Tron? Bludgeon? Thunderwing? Sixshot?) Prime decides to sit on Earth moping.

I hope they will explain all this without using the "Shockwave DID IT!" method.

Apart from Nick Roche's Wreckers and Furman's ROTF comics, I have lost interest in the main IDW comics, even more so then during AHM. The upteenth reboot does this to people, you know.

9. Brawlastator

Brawlastator "woah oh oh woah oh oh" - tarzan boy, baltimora

News Credits:
    In b4 "Driftimus Prime."

10. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I wasn't a fan of Furman's stuff but I do feel someone should get the license.

11. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    well - i WAS going to give this one a shot, despite hating the faces...

But Prime turns himself in to the Humans??? BAH.....

Thanks for saving me some money, IDW - there's one less TF series I need to bother with.

12. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You have never read a single Marvel Comic, have you? or seen the G1 1986 movie and Season3 of the cartoon? :rolleyes: 

My favourite usage of Hot Rod's hotheadedness was in the Marvel UK annual story "Ark Duty", where he is told to guard the Ark with Blurr by Magnus while Kup takes a very special data tape containing the plans of Autobot City to the human leaders of Earth... Kup himself tells him to stay put no matter what. Then Roddy spots the Stunticons attacking Kup, and of course, races to his rescue! Naturally, he gets beaten to a pulp. Then Kup shows up and berates Hot Rod, since the whole operation was a trap - to have the Cons think they got the real plans for the City, while it is just a fake... But at least Hot Rod's attack made it look even more real.

HR: "Hey, then I did good after all! But next time, Kup, I'll stay on the Ark."
    Kup: "Somehow, Hot Rod... I doubt it." :) 

Even IDWs Hot Rod was a bit hot-headed (see his daring entry to the Prison camp riding on a meteorite in his spotlight) but he was far more effective then any of his incarnations before.

13. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And there in lies the problem FOR ME*. I don't need my Transformers (or GI Joe, He-Man, Thundercats, Batman, Superman, etc) characters to die. As a matter of fact, I don't want them to. When did death become the end all, be all plot driver? I'l tell you when. It happened when the creators and fans decided the afore mentioned franchises had to become 'art' and not entertainment. That's when characters and story lines become more angsty and emotional than a teenage runaway on 'The View'. Some characters and villains are timeless and should remain as such. What ever happened to the simple yet overly complex maniacal plot of Megatron attempting to steal some heavily guarded super-fuel only to eventually be thwarted by Prime and the Autobots in some rediculously elaborate scheme. Oh yeah, that's not 'art'.

*This post is strictly my opinion and is in no way intended to flame or otherwise incite any sort of response.

14. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What a flipside from Hardcore Prime in TF2, eh?

Actually this is nothing new. Autobot leaders have always done these heroic sacrifice sort of things.

Optimus killed himself over sacrificing a video game character to kill Megatron.
    Fortress Maximus gave up his head for peace on Nebulos.
    Blaster and the Cybertron 7 surrendered to RAAT.

Maybe this is IDW Prime's indecisive period. Maybe he finds his bearings by issue 5-6. Remember, this will be a TPB.

15. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Well the front page headline 'Optimus Prime quits?!' certainly grabbed my attention. Now I know it's not the first time we've seen Optimus Prime removed from command for whatever reason and i can guess that it likely will not be permanent, but hey, i'm still interested to see where this will all go. I'm not judging this new ongoing series until i've read more issues and given it a chance to develop. I wish others would do the same tbh.

*Goes back to staring at picture of OP with hands raised.* Y'know, there's something about that picture that strikes me. It's a timeless portrayal of Optimus Prime giving himself up to persecution from misguided humans that he could easily crush under his foot, but that we know he never would. I can't stop the little voice in my heart that is crying out 'NOOOOO! Don't do it, Optimus!'.

16. Galvatron Prime

Galvatron Prime The Real Galvatron Prime TFW2005 Supporter

I have no problem that they posted the story. It is the way in which they posted it that irks me. They gave no hope for a spoiler warning what so ever.

But yeah I see you point too :p 

17. X-Brawn

X-Brawn Well-Known Member

Ironhide dies and Optimus retires?

Somebody else PLEASE pick up the Transformers franchise...

How about Marvel again? They can afford it, Disney owns them now. Which could potentially lead to the dream match of Darkwing vs. Darkwing!

Autobots, Transform and Get Dangerous!

18. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

:lol  Yeah, THIS!

He forgot to tear off his own head and to lay it at their feet. I hear that works too.

Geez... honestly it sometimes seems like TF writers are ALWAYS looking for a chance to dump Prime and Megatron. In the old Marvel series, I think Prime and Megs spent more time dead/missing/imprisoned than they actually did as leaders. I sort of understand why this is done, because it gives the writers the chance to get out from under the shadow of these two "super-icons"... though that hardly rises to the challenge of making them work as well developed characters and telling stories that actually USE them.

But "change"? Really, Costa? Have you never read TF comics? I saw this page and immediately rolled my eyes and thought "What... Prime leaves as some kind of uber-passive pussy self-sacrificing act? Well, THAT'S a novel idea for an Autobot leader. Here we go again..."

I also like how abrupt it is. He doesn't discuss it with anyone, or explain his actions in detail, or make any preparations to ease the transition caused by the power vacuum of his sudden departure. He's just "Well, I've decided to step down. Seeya. " ... almost literally. Wow, Prime really is a dick. :rolleyes: 

zmog

19. Optimus8404

Optimus8404 Autobot Commander. RIP Nov 2107

Ebay:
    Transformers at DC. Then we got some Superman/Batman/Wonderwoman team ups!!!! YAY!

20. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'm surprised they don't just have a flashback to Optimus quitting in one of the earlier issues so they can just retcon him out of command. :) 

Optimus doing anything but the usual Optimusy stuff isn't going to last long before it's reversed. He can't stay changed in any way for too long before he's returned to standard hero leader and rather bland status.