Optimus Prime quits?!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by tektektek, Nov 18, 2009.

1. star_ling

star_ling Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with you there man. Did DW get as much flak as IDW back in the day?

I mean before this all I seemed to hear was the Transformers were too human this and too human that. But as soon as you take the human faces away, almost everyone gets in a uproar. I may not appreciate the faces as much as some but I'm certainly not going to bellyache THIS much about it. At least not until I see the seekers :D 

2. samtastic

samtastic Herald of Wheelie

Not loving the faces but will try and pick this up tomorrow at my local shoppe.

3. SuzyPrime

SuzyPrime The friendly lurker

No flame taken. Unlike a lot of the people critiquing the comic, you have actually read the material and are giving an informed opinion.

Fair enough. It's a case of, "Fool me once. Shame on you. Fool me twice. Shame on me." IDW has lost the trust of a lot of the people on these boards, obviously. They have to win it back by producing quality material that gets talked about. If "Continuum" is as bad as everyone says (I haven't seen it.) then they've got quite a steep hill to climb to get there.

IDW is walking a fine line here. They got the fandom riled up and foaming in a bad way due to their ignorance of their own continuity. Now they have us all riled up and foaming in a good way because they're writing something that has us speculating and choosing sides (love the art/story vs. hate the art/slash story).

That's exactly the reaction I had to that page. You nailed it.

4. Blurrz

Blurrz You're Breathtaking!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Sold Out...

Just like how this issue sold out the franchise.

O zing.

5. _Galvatron_

_Galvatron_ Emperor of Destruction

Selling out that fast is a great sign.

6. the unacronner

the unacronner Well-Known Member

sold out? who bought it? every post I saw was filled with "ts fugly will not buy"

I for one think they look like Jag stains so I really will not be buying it ...and the story line of humans hunting down all autobots and decepts is not my cup-o-tea...but then again I have never bought a TF comic book in my life ..always just read a friends ..saved me a lot of cash

7. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probably people who don't frequent this board.

8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    It sold out because it made the newspapers, just like when captain america died and Obama was on the cover of a spiderman issue. People who normally don't buy comics go in and buy the issue thinking it will be valuable one day. Not realizing that these days they just do second and third printings of the issues, thereby making it more common and in the long run worth very little money as the comic game is all about the rarity. Then they never buy another issue and when they try to sell it in 3 years, the retailer will offer them cover price outraging them. Though it is funny to watch. I remember someone bringing in Youngblood #1 Gold edition that he paid $100 for back in the day and getting offered a buck for it.

9. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hah! Sold out.

I'm fed up of all the irrational hate for this. Sure, if you've read the FULL COMIC and have formed an opinion, that's not unreasonable (unless it's just "FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!"). What bugs me is those who hate it just because...

There does appear to be a streak of pessimism of late in fandom! Even during the Armada-Energon years, fandom was never this moany!

10. enkidoamark

enkidoamark Well-Known Member

I feel you. I mean, most people on here are fine and if you don't like something, great, that's your opinion. It's just the very loud minority that pronounce every new thing as the end of all goodness and hope.

Oh, and OP thanks for the unwarned spoiler. FAIL.

11. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Eh, lemme know when it hits TPB.

12. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't 1st issues almost always sell out? I highly doubt it sold out because it was a good story.

13. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just bought and read the entire thing, since I promised myself to give it a chance.

Pretty much everything had already been spoiled by different previews. I must say the faces still bother me, but not too much that the comic becomes unreadable...and the story so far is pretty ok - nothing too special though.

So yes, I will buy issue #2. The hell with it!

14. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    It seems alot of fans here get very annoyed by the continuity of separate comic series not satisfactorily being pieced together, hence the shortage of patience with IDW's new TFs releases. Tbh, i've never been too bothered if certain little details seem to get changed or forgotten from one comic series to the next. I approach each TFs comic i receive as a unique, individual read, not strongly trying to connect it to previous issues. As long as i'm getting an interesting story about the characters i love, i'm satisfied.

I just tend to oggle over any depiction of Optimus Prime. Hee!

15. Irv Gotti

Irv Gotti I'm Rick James B%#ch!!

Again, they NEVER used the Hot Head part of his character. Those stories you've mentioned all showed him being heroic and action prone (action junkie); though naively so. Sure, Rodimus talked tough to Decepticons; but this made him cocky, NOT Hot Headed. Hot Rod WAS supposed to be the '80s rebellious hero character for the Transformers, HENCE Judd Nelson (Breakfast Club) voicing. Instead, he fishes with Daniel and smiles while trading student/ mentor quips with Kup! A true Hot Head would be more like Marvel's Wolverine, or Rafael from the original Mirage TMNT comics; hot heads that were always looking for a fight, HARDLY EVER following orders or even working as a team member (their way was better), and even bucking well intentioned authority simply because they DIDN'T like taking orders (doing so meant slowing things down). In their eyes chain of command is just another ball and chain preoccupying/ wasting time with talk instead of action.

16. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    Love the 2nd print cover by Don looks like G1 which I do dig.

17. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

2nd cover looks great!

18. Infosaur

Infosaur Ancient Cybertronian

I just read this and I have two problems:

1.) after being such a believer in "non-interference protocol" for the majority of the IDW universe, why would Prowl, of all bots, jump in to save a Stunticon? Streetwise? Maybe, (and I was scratching my head trying to figure out what other Nissan Z police cars it could be. You got me Fig.) But seemed horribly out of character.

2.) For once could we launch a re-vamp of TF w/out Prime dying/sacrificing himself/giving up? How about just one series featuring Optimus being a general all around "BMF", who only shows up when all hope is lost for the rank and file Autobots, and can go toe-to-toe with Megatron himself. Honestly we haven't had a badass prime since DW when he shot Devastator IN,,, THE,,, FACE!!! Even Bayverse Prime got killed and resurrected.

Note to all writers: Killing Optimus, not edgy,,, it's #^%$& cliche`!

19. Infosaur

Infosaur Ancient Cybertronian

BTW, I don't mind the art, since I remeber this from a discussion I had WAAAYYY back when Bayformers first broke cover. I remeber having a disscusion ON THIS BOARD, about dialing back the Bay-look and adding more G1. I remeber a Starscream and Ironhide face being mocked up that looks a LOT like what's being done now. It'd be really cool if it was Don, I know he was active in the boards back then, but I can't really recall.

Only problem with the art is, everybody looks like they have a mustache. For most bots it's okay. But Bumblebee? Just doesn't work on him,,, at all!

(Oh and the engineer in me can't stand looking at pneumatic tires that break into segments, it's a Bayformer thing, it makesmy head hurt.)

20. ChopperByrne

ChopperByrne Well-Known Member

Probably wanted to make sure no more Cybertronian tech fell into human hands.