Optimus Prime movie deisgns ranked from Worst to Best...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Feb 7, 2019.

1. DarkRed401

DarkRed401 Well-Known Member

bb prime, he resembles a more classic prime while making classic prime also look bad in comparison

2. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    I cannot unsee that now.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SaberPrime

SaberPrime The first Decepticon the Fallen Megatronus Prime

You know the title says from worst to best right?

Some people seem to be going in the opposite direction... most people in fact... not a bad thing when you number your list so we can clearly see that number 1, the best in your opinion is first on your list instead of last but a few posts aren't making it clear that they're going in that direction.

I'm going to assume you're going from worst to best unless you specify otherwise so how the heck is Protoform Optimus Prime number 1 for anyone? I thought everyone hated that design on some level... Even people who like it can't defend it compared to the other movie Optimus Primes.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    It astounds me how many people missed this detail.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    BB
    Trilogy
    Evasion
    AOE/TLK
    Protoform

(Best to worst)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

Worst for me is the BB Movie one; it's a fine design in its own right, but it's too Geewun for the Movie franchise, which was previously rooted in its own design aesthetic. Having that be overridden by G1 nostalgia does nothing for me. The cabover alt mode further condemns it - I prefer the longnose semi alt mode for Optimus; you rarely see cabovers in the States anymore. To me, a cabover alt mode for Optimus is like a tapedeck alt mode for Soundwave; outdated and banking on nostalgia.

Evasion Optimus suffers the cabover alt mode and marries it to a design that it wasn't meant for. Evasion Optimus's robot mode is basically OT Optimus with a new, ill-fitting alt mode, and it shows.

Improving from there, we get OT Optimus, who carries the updated modern semi alt mode and more G1 callbacks than he gets credit for. The only thing I'd change are the shoulders.

Protoform Prime's onscreen design gets a lot of deserved crap, but the toy is rather neat.

Finally, we come to my favorite Optimus design, the AoE/TLK design. It's heroic, it's powerful-looking, it's knightly (which fits Optimus very well), and its cleaner than the previous entries. While I would have liked to see some kind of window chest, he's not the first Optimus to forgo that particular design element: Beast Wars Optimus never had window pecs, nor did Armada Optimus's base form. I'm a lot more forgiving of the lack of vehicle kibble than most people, since the Transformers in this continuity are made of programmable matter, making whatever kibble they retain a matter of choice.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Godzilla Ranger

Godzilla Ranger AgentGodzillaRangerPrime

^BB
    ^DotM
    ^Movie 1/ RotF
    ^AoE/ TLK
    ^Evasion
    ^Protoform

I adore the defined shape of the BB Prime

8. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    But the film takes place in the '80s...

• Like Like x 4
  9. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In most G1 media now Soundwave doesn’t turn into a tapedeck anymore. It’s usually some kind of cybertronian vehicle.

10. Galvatross

Galvatross Swamp Lord Shrek-traoridinairre! Veteran

Agreed with the bold 100%, as well as many other things you say here. I have never had a problem with a presence or lack of alt mode kibble, especially since they are made of programmable matter.

So if you were to twist my arm, I'd say I prefer AoE/TLK Optimus over OT or Bumblebee Optimus.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Prime time 101

Prime time 101 Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Even tho I like this design this
    4A368D89-44A9-45B5-B534-FC2E0DF50419.jpeg
    Doesn’t really fit in the movie verse IMO,they tried way to hard to bank on nostalgia, the movie verse was NEVER supposed to be G1 and people really need to understand that or they might of before this movie came out.
    Favorite prime is DOTM prime
    Second is Tlk prime

• Like Like x 3
  12. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

That's the main reason I'm willing to go with it for this movie; it's a period piece. I should have made that clear. As far as modern designs go, the cabover is outdated.

13. TwitchingFool0

TwitchingFool0 Well-Known Member

Least is protoform

BB movie OP is nice looking but I prefer everything before it.

AOE Evasion Looked great and it was a nice callback to G1

AOE/TLK I just have a hard on for the Knight aesthetic

Original Trilogy OP is my absolute favorite design of Optimus and always will be. I love how detailed and realistic it all was. Also the flame decals gave it a lot of personality. I love it to death.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    1- Bumblebee Movie
    2- 2007/RoTF/DotM
    3- AoE Evasion
    4- Dead Optimus Prime from the 86 Movie
    5- A dumpster full of used diapers and wet dog hair on fire
    6- AoE/ TLK

I almost put Protoform above AoE/ TLK but I can't even count it since we saw him for a total of three seconds. The toy is pretty cool though.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SaberPrime

5. LMAOROFL What?

16. JohnStartop

JohnStartop There can only be one.

Part of what made the Transformers so unique is that you could see the parts of the vehicles that they turned into.

It is a technical achievement to make a semi-truck transform into a clean-cut knight, I admit, but it just doesn't feel like Transformers.

It also doesn't help that in AOE, he turns into a rusted, flat-faced semi as a "tribute" to G1, then it all peels off to reveal his Knight form as if to say "We're better than G1." I know that's not what they meant, but it comes across that way.

The design in the first 3 films was neat, but abandoning realism for the evergreen designs in Bumblebee was a superior choice in style and aesthetic. Plus, I can see the action way more clearly now.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    I like that more than #6 on that list.

I wouldn't even call it a technical achievement. I'm not taking anything away from the people who worked on the CGI in AoE and TLK, but the first three movies at least had a semblance of "realism" with the transformations. There was plenty of cheating going on with all the movies but the new movies had parts and pieces appear and disappear in order for the vehicles to turn into the overly streamlined robot modes.

18. JohnStartop

JohnStartop There can only be one.

That's quite a nitpick.

19. SaberPrime

I get that but what is number 5 on the list. It seems like an insulting description of Protoform Optimus but then after that you said you didn't like Protoform Prime more than Knight Prime... So either these two statements contradict each other or I'm just wrong about what number 5 on your list was meant to be describing.

And yes I found that description extremly funny and was actually still laughing about it ten minutes after I posted my response. But at the same time I'm not clear about what it was you were actually saying that about. I initially started laughing because I thought it was Protoform Optimus Prime but then got confused by how you closed the post saying it wasn't.

20. AOEGalvatronRox

AOEGalvatronRox Collector

News Credits:
    (From worst to best)
    5. Protoform Optimus - For obvious reasons as everyone else has stated
    4. AOE/TLK - My least favorite Optimus design to ever exist in this 35 year old franchise. It’s too simple looking and has very little vehicle kibble. And it’s just missing elements that make Prime look like Prime (the wheels on the legs, the window chest, etc.)
    3. Bee Prime - I realize I probably have the most unpopular opinion regarding this design but oh well. If I didn’t dislike the TLK/AOE design so much, this would be in its place. I guess it wasn’t a bad design, but it’s not really original. It’s mostly his G1 design with extra mechanical detail to give it that live action look. The head is cool, but that’s really it.
    2. Evasion Prime - I only like this design because it’s basically his original trilogy design. I thought it looked cool, but I also wish they had done more to the robot mode to differentiate it a little more from the OT design, especially since the Marmon 97 is vastly different truck than the Peterbilt, but I understand why they didn’t since he only had the form for just a little bit.
    1. OT Prime - my favorite design just because it’s an original design while retaining those familiar elements of Prime (the window chest, wheels on the legs, etc.) Just looking at this design make me dislike the AOE/TLK one even more. The designers made excellent use of his truck parts. And that six pack that he has in Dark of the Moon is pretty cool, too.

• Like Like x 1