Optimus Prime movie deisgns ranked from Worst to Best...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Feb 7, 2019.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime The first Decepticon the Fallen Megatronus Prime

I'm going to make two lists because I kinda set them differently depending on if we're talking CGI renderings in the actual movies or toy versions of them... so I'm going to do on screen first then toy.

Protoform Optimus Prime... we don't see much of him but it seemed like the other four Autobots used the same CGI model and other than the head there isn't much of an Optimus Prime look to this one. I hate it.

Evasion Mode Optimus Prime. I keep wanting to call him Ultra Magnus because he looks like one of those white Optimus Prime repaints. Other than his color scheme I actually like this design and this is a big part of why I'm doing a second list for toys.

Knight Optimus Prime... he looks like he has boobs... I think they're actually suppose to resemble pecks but they just look like boobs. I'm not against him not having windows which you'll see in the other list, I just don't like Optimus having boobs.

Original Trilogy Optimus Prime. One of the few designs from the movies I actually like. It does still have the issue of looking overly complex which is why it's not at the top of my list anymore but it's still a pretty decent design. I'm going to give honorable mentions to Jet Prime and Trailer Prime here but the base Optimus stays basically the same for all three movies not including those power ups.

Bumblebee Optimus Prime, this is like a perfect blend of G1 and Movie... it could go a little more on the movie direction especially in the face because I think he looks half rendered without that detail but the over all design is way more solid and I love that.

Now regarding the toys...

Protoform Optimus Prime looks so much better in G1 colors. Now it's clearly Optimus Prime. It's amazing what a difference a paint job can make on a figure. I'm still putting this kinda low because of the alternate mode which is suppose to be an asteroid but the toy makes it also kind of a truck so it looks like a weird combination of both as if it doesn't know what it wants to be.

Knight Optimus Prime... the toy kinda makes his chest look more flat than it does in the movie which I like but he still ranks kinda low because he's a shell former.

Original Trilogy Optimus Prime again I actually like this design he just got knocked down a bit because the others were better. And again Jetfire and the Butterfly are honorable mentions because I'm just looking at the base robot who doesn't really change that much between the three movies. The toys change a lot but they're all plastic representations of the same design.

Evasion Mode Optimus Prime... this shot up the list a lot all thanks to a G1 paint job. This was my favorite Movie Optimus Prime until...

Bumblebee movie Optimus Prime... now if only they could give us something with the solid apperence of this Optimus and the realistic detail of Evasion Mode Optimus it would be perfect.

2. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Bumblebee movie Prime > OG Trilogy Prime > Evasion Prime > AOE/TLK Prime > Protoform

I think Prime from the Bee movie has the best head design with his bright blue eyes and nicely detailed faceplate. I also prefer his blocky look. OG Trilogy Prime has good moments throughout the movieverse which makes his design shine. Evasion Prime is just the original design with a cab-over alt mode. AOE/TLK looks like a man in a suit and is quite uninspiring overall. All of the protoform designs are ugly.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

AoE/TLK Optimus is just pure hot garbage. If not for faceplate one couldn't even tell it's Optimus. If not knowing that it's Optimus it wouldn't be even possible to tell that this is a transformer design.

G1 Action Masters had more transform-y look than this rubbish.

4. Fc203

Fc203 Hasbro shill

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    1. TLK/AOE Knight Prime
    Its original and good looking d43c263b360c05f416614689760f2d7c.png
    2. Orignal Trilogy desing
    I grew up with it
    Optimusprime-poster.jpg
    3. Evasion mode prime
    c4a3ce0c-180c-4a8d-a6a2-16b50f118ca2.jpg
    4.BB
    Too g1 for me but i still like it
    DtCJ859WkAAaJ0T.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  5. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    E5B6791C-547B-4D7A-B5D2-48377CF7851C.jpeg
    I’m still in love with his look in Bumblebee & I don’t think it’s Nostalgia or G1 tinted glasses. He just looks very solid & his design isn’t complex to the point of being too busy.
    Also, his head design, especially the faceplate, looks better. Bay Prime’s faceplate juts outward, creating a sort of football player’s helmet look.
    And while I don’t hate Bay Prime’s face, I much prefer his face in the BB movie to the long tired looking face with with the small mouth.

Most Bay Prime’s have long lanky designs as well, with long, long legs & arms that look alien (which is good), but if I’m honest, I like the more human proportions of BB Prime. He’s kind of stalky, and he has super-heroic proportions. The guy is built ( :p  ).

• Like Like x 5
  6. AshleyCuadra

AshleyCuadra Tieria Prime

News Credits:
    Worst to Best

1. Optimus Prime BB
    D9C975A0-8688-4708-8D96-14FC1C5BFF27.jpeg

2. Evasion mode Optimus
    C0DF07C8-1DDA-40E3-8D0E-B8FDFA676022.jpeg

3. Original trilogy Optimus
    EB6F4252-59E4-4392-BF1F-CB4A710377D8.jpeg

4.AOE/TLK Optimus Prime
    2DF9E20D-0311-4916-8B62-2D9EA8E6052C.png

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  7. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    BB Movie >Original Trilogy> Evasion Mode>AoE&TLK> Protoform Mode

8. Galvatron2000

Galvatron2000 Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    1-Optimus Prime BB movie by far.

2-The rest...
    ok maybe the OP of the first movie.

9. Jochimus

Jochimus Sandwiches? Blimey, whatever did I give the wife?

AOE
    Evasion Mode
    Protoform
    OT
    BB

BB Op takes is my favorite as well, although I'd definitely consider OT Op second best. I even like Protoform Op, though I kind of like him more with his original 2007 colors.

Evasion Mode Op is O.K. but for some reason I don't think it's quite as nice as OT or even Protoform, and I don't much care for the super-sleek Knight look of AOE/TLK for something that's still supposed to turn into an Earth vehicle.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  10. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    #1. Bumblebee Optimus

Not only is this by-far my favorite movie Optimus, it's one of my favorite Optimus designs in the whole brand. It just looks perfect.

#2. AOE/TLK Optimus

I feel like I'm one of the only fans who actually likes this design, and (vastly) prefers it to the first trilogy design. It just looks heroic and mighty, even if it is a deviation from the traditional look. It carries over some of the better elements of the first design, but with much better proportions. I don't love the truck though, I've always thought it looked kind of gaudy.

#3. Evasion Mode Optimus

I thought this look worked better for his beaten-up evasion mode, and I liked the rusty look. The truck was also really cool.

#4. First Trilogy Optimus

I like the general head design, I think it worked for a first attempt at a live-action Optimus (although I'd argue the nose is a bit too big, and the mouth sits too low). I've never really liked the body though. I've always thought it was too lanky and skinny. I appreciate the fact that they tried to incorporate some of G1 Optimus' iconic features, but it still never really worked for me.

#5. Protoform Optimus

Yeah, the Protoforms are the ugliest of uglies. I know they recycled these generic-looking bodies to save budget, but I wish they could have designed a proper Cybertronian form for at least Optimus. Just not a fan of it at all.

11. spikebuster

spikebuster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is my list with 1 being best and 5 being worst:
    1. Trilogy Prime
    2. AOE Evasion Prime
    3. BB Movie Prime
    4. AOE/TLK Prime
    5. Protoform Prime

• Like Like x 1
  12. 96megatron

96megatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My list being Favorite/Best to Least Favorite/Best.
    1.) AOE/TLK Optimus Prime/Nemesis Prime
    2.) First Trilogy 1-3 Optimus Prime (Non-powered up)
    3.) Bumblebee: The Movie Optimus Prime
    4.) ROTF/DOTM Jet Powered Optimus Prime
    5.) Evasion Mode Optimus Prime
    6.) Protoform Optimus Prime

13. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

1. BB Optimus Prime - The simpler look of the face captures the wisdom and kindness I associate with Optimus far better than any of the previous movie designs. He looks like a leader and like a hero. I could take or leave the G1 inspiration, but I have to admit I'm impressed with the details they put in just to evoke the original Optimus Prime - from the yellow arrows on his forearms to the silver stripes on his biceps. I feel like there was more love put into this design than the others.

2. 2007/ROTF/DOTM Optimus Prime. He ranks below BB Optimus simply for looking needlessly angrier, with the panels around his eyes giving him an almost constant glare. However, he still retains a look that is very Optimus, yet very much its own. I think the Peterbilt truck is a good update to the G1 flat-nosed cab, each part of the truck mode ends up in a logical place on the robot form, and both his powered-up forms, with Jetfire and with his trailer, just bulk him out nicely.

3. Tax Evasion Optimus Prime. I like that they made him a G1-style flatnosed cab as a shoutout to G1 Prime, but he very obviously retains Peterbilt parts that come across as inconsistent with his alt mode. It's just not as impressively it's own thing as the 2007 Optimus or as lovingly G1 as BB Optimus.

4. AOE/TLK Optimus Prime. Ugh. It doesn't really look like a Transformer. Literally the only part of the vehicle mode that makes it to the robot form are the smokestacks. It's like they wanted him to look so much like a knight they forgot that he also has to look like he could feasibly turn into a truck. The head, too, looks angrier and more aggressive than even the 2007 Optimus face. I'm just not a huge fan.

5. Protoform Optimus Prime. In fact, it's just protoform Autobot. So, all the Autobots looked the same on Cybertron? I get that it wasn't that important for the protoform 'bots to have their own look, but it just seems a bit lazy to have them all look exactly the same before scanning their different vehicle modes.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Galvatross

Galvatross Swamp Lord Shrek-traoridinairre! Veteran

Not sure, but I think the worst by far is his 2007 Protoform. Nothing about it is visually distinguished from any other Autobot protoform. It's not even close.

All of the others are fine. I really like both AoE designs though. His face is undoubtedly the best of all of the films in AoE/TLK. It's more visually expressive than the first three films, which is nice in a Transformers design.

15. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    1. Bumblebee era design
    2. Movies 1 - beginning of 4 design.
    3. Most of Age of Extinction + TLK design.

• Like Like x 1
  16. justframbo

justframbo Member

1. Trilogy. Love 'em! Best of all, looked so much like they were alive and actually there! Other incarnations, I feel, were just above too cartoony for such effect in my eyes.
    2. Protoform. Could have been a bit more distinguished, but I like the emphasis on the fact that they're aliens.
    3. AOE/TLK. Even if they don't look at all like they can transform, they still look cool.
    4. Not the worst, but my least preferred. Lots of unnecessary mechanical detail on a silhouhette that such detail doesn't fit. Also tosses away all possibly good about the initial design that would have still left OP recognisable, but by both Bay lovers and G1 lovers! Oh well, have your GEEWUN.

17. spikebuster

spikebuster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wish Optimus would just pay his taxes like the rest of us.:lol 

• Like Like x 2
  18. Fox13

Fox13 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Heck, I didn't grow up with G1 and I find his Bumblebee design immensely satisfying.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    For me the protoform mode was unlike anything before. It was very alien but robot. And it transformed. Unfortunately they couldn't develop more about them in the movies probably because not many liked them. The comics luckily took impressive liberties explaining a little more about them.

His TF1-TF3 designs are the best so far. His AOE/TLK took some time to like.

And his Bumblebee design doesn't appeal much to me.

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Worst is, IMO, AOE/TLK Prime. It's not a bad design for, like, a knight robot that has nothing to do with Optimus. It looks cool, but it doesn't look anything like a robot capable of transformation. Worse still, it would've been so easy to use pieces of the Western Star as knight armour. The shoulders and pectorals feel like they could've easily been made form the bumper and fenders, for example. Instead the design just completely disregards all design cues of the alt mode, save the smokestacks. (which aren't even accurate to the truck) Best part about this design was, IMO, the face which was a definite upgrade whilst keeping the same character.

Following that is Evasion Prime. It's just the OT design with an ill-fitting truck mode and some slightly altered kibble that really doesn't fit. The fact that the windows and grille visibly squish and morph during its transformation just point out how the design wasn't created with that kind of truck in mind. They should've redesigned him more.

Second best design is the OT. Very super-robot in its proportions, excellent use of truck kibble to make Optimus look like a vehicle come to life. It's almost iconic, and looks heroic yet alien and powerful yet sympathetic.

Best IMO is the BB Movie Op, if only for the head design. The eyes are so much more expressive, which was always an issue I had with movie Prime's eyes. The body itself is a perfect fusion of G1 and Movie details, the alt mode fits the robot design, and it's pretty amazing to see a traditional Optimus on the big screen after so long. Plus:

51043282_235064204045365_3923052230864797696_n[1].jpg 51279095_1650664181737226_2310146785487618048_n[1].jpg

• Like Like x 9