Optimus Prime: Jetwing-Buster-Striker

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by KrytenKoro, Apr 8, 2013.

1. KrytenKoro

KrytenKoro Well-Known Member

So, I'm not super clear on how these work.

First off, is the only new mechanics about the Buster version the smokestack guns? If so, would it be possible to unscrew the mechanisms and exchange them with the Striker and Jetwing versions?

For the Striker and Jetwing version: can those added pieces be attached to any version of the RotF OP mold, or do you have to have that specific Optimus? Basically, is it possibly to jerryrig an OP that has both Buster, Jetwing, and Striker packs?

Finally....anyone know where I can get these Optimi for non-insane prices?

2. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    It's more extensive work than you are saying. Jetwing Prime does have the Buster rifles, but not the Striker pieces, Buster of course does have the Buster gun, but no way to firmly attach the jetpack. Each version of the mold is subtly different. I do in fact know this as I have all 11 versions of Leader Prime.

Here is what is missing:
    There is a notch in the Jetwing mold to accommodate the jet pack. The notch is present on Striker. But missing with Buster.
    The jetpack also requires that you be able to remove the gas tanks to attach it to the figure.
    Striker has extra guns not available with other versions of Prime, plus the hood/shield for Stealth mode.
    There is an extra part molded onto the Striker gas tanks for the Stealth mode.

You really can't have all three work with one figure unless you get the Cubex gas tanks and then only because they come with the extra end piece for Stealth mode, but then the Cubex guns won't work with the jetpack. They can be removed and set aside, but cannot fit into the jetpack as can the Buster rifle pieces.

That is a convoluted way of saying you can't truly get all three types of Prime with one figure without cheating, ie the jetpack doesn't fully attach to Striker or the Stealth mode can only be achieved with an after-market piece from Cubex. The closest to what you are saying is the APS Prime, but that one is missing the Buster rifle.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  3. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If anybody knows about this mold it's Sentinel. Listen to him..

4. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

THIS!

5. KrytenKoro

Okay, what are the Cubex guns, then? Can you give me a link so I can see what that's about?

And which figure should I use as the "base", and with which modifications/piece-trades should I perform to get this to work?

Finally, is the Buster gun worth it, or is it basically just a cooler version of pieces already on the Jetwing/Striker versions - ike, would he be able to actually hold it with the rest of the armory equipped to him?

I apologize if I sound rude at all here, I really don't mean to. I really want to dump the Ultimate version and get a "real" Optimus (...holy crap, what about Jetfire? is he compatible with these molds?), but this would be dumping more money than I've ever spent on a single figure before, so I just want to make sure it's actually gonna work.

6. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    The Buster Gun is included with the Jetwing Prime, but he lacks the integrated swords.
    Jetfire is compatable with at least the normal and Buster, but I haven't tried him with my Jetwing and I don't own Striker.

Its the gun that he used in Movie 1 and ROTF, while Striker comes with the one he used in DOTM briefly. In my opinion Buster is the best version to get, Jetwing and Striker both have their merits too, but overall I think Buster has the best of all worlds, with the gorgeous paint-job, the best gun (and Buster's is painted silver and has blackened areas at the end to add to the look, while Jetwing's is matte grey) and integrated swords. I don't like the separate pieces for the swords that come with Striker, because I think they look silly while he's holding them and his gun sucks, looking far too tiny compared to the Buster cannon and I don't like the non-screen accurate shield, but I do think the "stealth mode" looks awesome, so it depends on how important that is to you. I prefer my Buster to my Jetwing, but he also has the Buster cannon and the wings and chain-guns are a little epic, but the bland paint-job and lack of swords whatsoever bugs me. In the end, its your choice and all are good options, but I personally think Buster is by far the best choice, followed by the premium paint-job version of Striker (APS). I think that either version of Buster Optimus (faceplate or no faceplate) holding the Buster Cannon looks far more dominant and epic then any of the other versions.

7. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

These are the Cubex guns.

Buster Gun Set - Chrome - Third Party Transforming Toys & Accessories Cubex

IMO, the only Jetfire you'll need unless you want the figure by itself.

FWI-03 Jet Power Upgrade Kit - Third Party Transforming Toys & Accessories Fans Want It

I do think Buster is the best based on the flip-out blades but Asia Striker is a close 2nd in my book. While you're at it pick up some sweet hands too! I don't even use the shield that came with Striker, prefer the ufo better, gave it to my regular leader.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    Listen to this man. He owns pretty much every iteration of this mold ever lol.

I'd say if you were any good at customizing, or know anyone who is, you could probably get them to attach the Buster Canons to APS-01, but that would, I believe, involve removing pins and whatnot, and be very difficult.

...And damn it all, I love my Buster, but man, do i wish I could've gotten the version with the blue outline on the flames.

That Jetfire upgrade is growing on me...and those guns look awesome too...and the hands...

I need to stop before I'm in debt.

9. KrytenKoro

First off, thank you thank you thank you THANK YOU everyone for helping me out on this, even if it's a pretty minor request. You guys are awesome.

Basically, in a perfect world I'd like to have a Leader Optimus that can combine with all this extra stuff to best approximate the trailer armory (soooo dissapointed by the Ultimate...), and can combine with the full-figure Jetfire when I feel like putting him in RotF mode (I know that that's not the best approximation of Jetfire Prime, but I prefer being able to split them into figures vs. having the perfect-looking gestalt). I'm totally willing to mix-and-match (I switched the cab of jungle Ironhide for the Premium version so that he had all the extra weapons), so if I can combine all the accessories of Jetwing and Striker, I have no issues with switching a few components (although unscrewing stuff is about the limits of my skill here, I can't do paint jobs or anything). The Jet Power upgrade kit is pretty as all hell, but since I plan to just have DotM OP in armory-mode and place Jetfire as his own guy until I feel like playing with them, I don't think it would have any place in my collection. Thanks, though.

The paint job, while magnificent, is less of an issue for me...really what I want to spend money on is the extra accessories for added play value.

It sounds like the best option here would be to get the Asia Striker Optimus, the Jetwing accessories, the Cubex add-on, and possibly the Buster Optimus Prime smokestack-gun assembly (one post seems to be saying that this is included with Jetwing and is thus redundant accessory-wise, is this true?). Sentinel, does this sound accurate? Also, is the non-Asian Striker Optimus an acceptable substitute, does it have any inferiorities besides paint job and the swords?

10. RodimusForever

RodimusForever Underrated

I'm glad I found this thread cause I was kinda confused about this myself. Buster is the Revenge of the Fallen Leader Class Optimus, right?

So this can fit on Buster just fine? Thing is I want the gun that Striker has.

11. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    that jetpack was made to fit onto the Leader Primes that have the removable stacks that make up a gun..

If you happen to have say, either the ROTF or HFTD Leader prime without the removable stacks, it will still fit.. it's tight but it technically fits. If you remove the panels the stacks clip onto, it fits without issue.

I have the HFTD Hooks Prime with battle damage and once the panels were removed, I've had no issue.

12. RodimusForever

RodimusForever Underrated

Thanks. I don't have any of them; I had this crazy idea of buying ROTF, Striker, and Jetwing and taking parts from each to make a sort of "ultimate" Prime, but that would get mad expensive plus I wouldn't really know what I was doing if I took them apart. Just getting ROTF and then the seperate Jetwing seems more ideal. I just want Striker Optimus Prime's gun.

13. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Then just buy ROTF Leader OP, UFO Hands, Guns, and Jetwing and any other weapons you want.

14. GeoKaiser

GeoKaiser Wardick Zeus

Ebay:
    After finally opening my APS-01U Ultimate Edition Optimus Prime, I thought I'd update and post my evolutionary tree for the ROTF leader mold. I hope this helps people. This thread seemed like a good place. Now updated for MPM-4.

I haven't tried to combine Jetfire with the Jetwing, Striker, or Ultimate version of the mold. I remember hearing that you can get it to work, but it's not very satisfactory or intended. If anyone has feedback on that, lmk.

Slide1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  15. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ to be accurate the history APS-01U "new hands" are actually the pre-production hands, before the recession caused budget cuts to the entire RotF line (which impacted prime with non-moving hands and thigh-boxes that don't fold up and collapsing wheels. I cant believe third party hasn't done replacement wheels.

That's an awesome chart though.

[​IMG]

16. GeoKaiser

GeoKaiser Wardick Zeus

Ebay:
    Thx

I have read that as part of the history, however the hands on the Ultimate Edition are specifically designed to hold the Striker mech-tech guns and the sword and hook accessories. I think they are a new design and aren't the same hands you are referring to, but certainly a nod back to the original intention.

I agree that the tires could have been upgraded (along with a swap-able face/face plate and pinstripes) to make it actually "ultimate", as it is it's the pretty damn close to Ultimate, lol.

17. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh they're actually all new? They look extremely similar! Also I think the original prototypes hands can be pushed into the forearm.

The tires have been the one glaring flaw of this figure since day one. I just cant believe nothing has ever happened with them.

18. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The collapsing wheels I could take or leave, but I had no idea about the thigh boxes- those are WONDERFUL! Makes me sad.

19. GeoKaiser

GeoKaiser Wardick Zeus

Ebay:
  20. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Macrodata Refinement - SVR'D Access

News Credits:
    Okay, so does Jetwing Prime fit with Jetfire?