Optimus Prime issue 2

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by GWolfv2, Jan 4, 2017.

1. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    Dealing with the important stuff first.

Are Thundercracker and Marissa on a date in Egypt?

• Like Like x 4
  2. Girl Pants

Girl Pants Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm really enjoying the backstory sections, it's nice to be able to see these characters without all the baggage of everything that's happened in the "modern" era. Also nice to see Outback as anything other than a corpse.

After the way Revolution:TF went, I was not expecting Thundercracker to be back. I saw that issue as very much a (temporary) send-off for him.

I'm interested to see where Qian's plot is going. It was a bit shocking to get him narrating an issue after having been a relative non-presence up until now.

I got a kick out of Arcee having cliche tsundere thoughts over Sideswipe. "It's not like I like you or anything!"

3. mkb128123

mkb128123 Lamestorm

Seeing Sideswipe was nice but where's Sunstreaker nowadays?

Was a good issue, but later solicits kinda spoil that the whole Sideswipe Junkion situation may not go according to plan.

Also Sixshots autobot reprint totally was fighting on Junkoin.
    (Where's Sixshot)

4. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Definitely could see how people could see it that way.

Overall, another good issue. Wreck-Gar, I found him rather funny.

G.I. Joe's role felt appropriately secondary, as it should be. Though the focus was primarily on Talon, and he was character during when this was just Transformers.

5. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    I literally pointed that out to a friend and now demand fanart of Arcee going full anime

6. Sidesprey

Sidesprey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well finally looks like they plan to do something with Sideswipe. It seems that Arcee forgives him for what happened in exRID 18. Nice to see what Thundercracker and co are doing but I really feel that the GI Joe are now appearing all of a sudden because of Revolution

7. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nah, I think their just friends.

The real question is how does Talon feel about Skywarp now being a Joe now after leading the attack on Beijing or does he not know?

8. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Either he doesn't know, he's already given opinion on it in another comic(which I slightly doubt), or he simply doesn't care(which seems unlikely given his character).

9. Girl Pants

Girl Pants Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Buster is the only girl for Thundercracker.

10. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good points. This does make me wonder how China will feel once they learn Skywarps with the Joes. I'm kind of surprises no Americans have been calling for Soundwave's head since he was part of the attack on New York City.

11. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    1) Yes.

2) I'd be willing to bet the way they're written from here out will be "Basically a married couple that's always annoyed at each other, but never explicit, it's more funny than anything else."

3) Seriously though, yes.

My favorite thing about the issue was actually laying some groundwork for "Yes, Optimus and Prowl were in fact friends at one point." As it stands we go chronologically from Shadowplay, where Prowl is constantly annoyed at Optimus, basically right to the present day where Prowl is still constantly annoyed at Optimus.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

I wavered between thinking this was really, really good, and really rather poor. I think I've ended up on the side of really, really good: both art and story are extremely dense. They make you work to keep up. It's hard to keep track of who's who, but in a good way, I think. Overall, it feels meaty, substantial - like there's real weight in both the physical bodies on the page and the character dynamics being set up. Barber's always been good at this stuff (it's where it *goes* that often provides the let-down), but he's really cranked it up here, and for me, it works. And Zama's work is absolutely stunning just to look at, even if you have to put some effort in to follow everything. It reminds me of 90s 2000AD at its best - sharp angles, wicked grins, big pools of shadow, confident lines.

The story in the past is shaping up very nicely indeed, and Barber has latched on to an interesting era for Prowl's development, as well as Jetfire's. The GI Joe cast, for once, aren't thoroughly boring, and the angle on American exceptionalism is pretty serious stuff to be throwing into a robot comic. The Junkions are fun.

Why did I sometimes think it was shaping up very poorly? I guess at times I wondered if this it was all surface-level complications masking a story that's going nowhere, with cast members who will ultimately do very little. I can certainly see some readers complaining that this is talky, angsty Transformers with too many characters to follow.

13. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    TC has got to be the best character through all this. :lol 

14. goudan

goudan Bumblebee all the way

News Credits:
    I remember it was said that in this issue there will be some plot about how did OP met BB...but it doesn't appear somehow?

15. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Don’t call me a member thank you very much.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    There's rather a lot of GI Joe in here for my tastes considering this is a 'Transformers' comic. Some of the plot angles are good but stuff like the Junkions speech patterns etc seem a bit much to me. Guess we'll see how it pans out. But I'm not really up for following a Revolution style comic as an ongoing personally.

16. Carnivos

Carnivos Well-Known Member

When did Sky Lynx become so terrifying, seriously with that smile he had looked like he was about to devour a nursery.

17. God Ginrai

God Ginrai Energon Enthusiast

Not this issue, the Annual that comes out... next month I think.

• Like Like x 1
  18. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

Worth noting that like, half the Joe team on this issue are previously introduced characters from barber. Talon, hi-tech, spike, another one I think.

So the Joe team here would otherwise just be EDC or the army or skywatch or whatever. And the story is most importantly about talons unique perspective.

Barber with tfs on earth is gonna have humans. I'll happily take Joe over losers like skywatch or the idiot EDC.

Anyway, interesting issue. Piles of setup but some fun character work during. Was waiting for a "bigger" event to occur but that's fine. I got used to the junkions. Definition heard idles voice in my head. :)  The flashbacks were GREAT. Soundwave losing it on the stupid prime junkies was also great.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    He went back to Cybertron after Titans Return (along with the bulk of Prime's forces that'd been on Earth) to help with the recovery from Bruticus and Sentinel Prime's rampages.

20. Dramatic Spoon

Dramatic Spoon Well-Known Member

Wait, Rum-Maj is a female transformer? and Wreck-Gar's cohort?

what happened to Nancy?