Optimus Prime in AOE

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Jalen Frisby, May 9, 2020.

1. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Yoinkus

News Credits:
    This is actually an interesting point. They may be a highly advanced and intelligent species, but the good guys can't seem to realise they're no better than the bad guys. This is interesting to me because it brings up the idea they may be an intelligent species, but being alien to us, their entire mindsets and way of thinking is vastly different than ours. In the 07 movie, Ironhide says "they're a violent and primitive species," and Optimus replies with "were we not the same?" implying that he and they all clearly know that they're savage warriors who kill just as much as their enemies do, but they simply don't see an issue with it. They're more different from us than we give them credit for. Like you said, any given character is simply a ruthless murder machine. Despite being apparently capable of vast intelligence, certain areas of their minds and culture are still distinctly primitive. Things like this and I realize the movies had so much amazing potential that was squandered. I feel like at any point throughout the first 3 movies, they could have backtracked and decided to actually put effort into what they had already churned out and create a deeply interesting story but that just never happened because "explosion go boom and make money"

• Like Like x 1
  2. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

Michael Bay: OK Ehren, basically what I need you to do is string one ILM event to the next. Big battles, lots of car chases-that's kinda my thing. For filler make sure you have a few hot chicks, just plan for the girls to be between 16 and 23 and put them in the scene, I'll take it from there; obviously the hero's love interest, but also friends, secretaries, dog-walkers, mailroom chicks, whatever, just give me a few openings for orange T&A. And lots and lots of bad-ass macho banter and one liners - don't worry if it doesn't make a lick of sense, frankly, it's better if it's not hindered by logic or decent dialogue or any other crap the intellectual baginas always claim to want. Siskel and Ebert can lick my ballz, and that's ballz with a z. That's the mindset I want you to have when hacking these scripts out.

Ehren Krueger: Sounds good Mike, I can definitely do that, but it doesn't have to be solely a special effects orgasmanza. I can create a brilliant script. To remind you, I did write Arlington Road.

Michael Bay: Yes Ehren, I'm well aware of your bona fide, but frankly even the baginas consider Arlington Road mediocre at best, and for me and my target audience, it was a snoozable chick-flick.

Ehren Krueger: There's no way it could be considered a chick flick.

Michael Bay: For my audience it may have well have been Fried Green Tomatoes. Just do what I tell you or I'll throw enough money at Orci and Kurtzman to drag them back from that Star Trek shit.

Ehren Krueger: Understood Mr. Bay.

Michael Bay: Excellent. Now, Optimus Prime, your predecessors did an OK job of establishing him, but he came off as a bit soft, and his fight scene with Megatron, just unacceptable. So basically write him like Abe Lincoln on steroids and with cooler clothes and facial hair, and make him hardcore, total fucking badass. Make him wise and diplomatic, but at the flick of a switch reason, morality and moderation go out the window and he goes to apeshit mode, his way or the fucking highway. Like, he'll sacrifice everything for the sake of a little girl's bouquet of flowers, but make sure anyone and everyone threatening those flowers gets dragged down to hell with him. But as you introduce new badguys feel free to Worf him...feel free to Worf Megatron as well for that matter. Spinosaurus those bitches, nothing is sacred. And again, can't stress this enough, shit doesn't need to make sense. We're not making this flick for the Nobel Prize committee, we're making it for teenage boys with testosterone leaking from their pimples. Got it?

Ehren Krueger: Loud and clear Mr. Bay.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Sablebot

Sablebot #iposttomakeyouthinknotdebate

I bet Lorenzo's instructions were more of the same, but a lot worse. . .

4. MattDallas

MattDallas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I just like the way after transforming and going absolutely mental shouting I'll kill you!! and wacking a human with his giant metal cannon he suddenly tells them 'to take it easy.'

5. Primus Productions

Primus Productions Defender of the bayverse Veteran

News Credits:
    Age of Extinction, in my point of view, Was a great change for Optimus in general. He slowly became more self-aware of the war. I think, when he died by the hands of Megatron. That was a wake up call for him. But all in all, DOTM was the biggest challenge for Optimus. His father figure/mentor betrayed the Autobots, Brought a two part invasion to the planet and allied with the Decepticons. So I say Sentinel was the beginning of Optimus's breaking point. And slowly becoming more angered by the moment Megatron shown up at the end. Given his facial reaction and tone by stating "time to find out." Clearly Optimus had no interest in considering accepting any type of a truce from Megatron. Considering Megatron had a major part in the arc. And this carried toward in AOE, By when Lockdown killed Ratchet and every Autobot known being hunted and killed. I don't see Optimus as everyone calls him as "murder prime''. Optimus went through hell, And at this point he was done. Optimus even stated this in some point of the film. "After we achieve the seed, We're DONE defending the humans". So I personally think nothing should be altered against AOE Optimus. He's completely fine as he is. Even if people don't agree the fact he finally killed a human. Which I may add, The very human was held part hunting down the Autobots and teaming up with lockdown. Point being, AOE Optimus is fine. Nothing should be changed.

• Like Like x 8
  6. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Yoinkus

News Credits:
    That Dotm scene when he says "time to find out" in that zero nonsense tone and flicks has battle mask closed is actually my profile pic gif. Such a cool line and moment. But I do still wish Optimus had let Megatron go with a truce instead of killing him. Kill Sentinel sure, but Megatron was asking for a truce, and even a breaking point Optimus shouldn't turn that down

7. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seriously, I cannot begin to understand how someone can go through all that and not crack. Thats why it kinda annoys me when people give him crap or call him "murder Prime". In fact, I like that these films aren't afraid of depicting humanity's dark side. Megatron, Sentinel, Attinger: Decepticon, Autobot, Human, anyone person(s) from any side of a war are not immune from corruption. Thats why I had no problem with Optimus killing Attinger. He was no different from Sentinel, Megatron, or any other villain, and in the end he paid the price.
    These films made Optimus more interesting than pretty much any other Optimus for me, except maybe Animated. Maybe moreso, I don't know. They could have been handled better for sure, but AOE did a good job in Prime's story. It pushed his character in a realistic way. For all the things he's lived through, maybe thats why him saying "out-of-character" things in AOE didn't ruin the character for me.
    Thats another thing, everyone either dismisses or is unaware of the b.s of Megatron's "truce". Moments earlier he yells out "this is my planet." Not convincing. Then, taunting Optimus that he's nothing without him is a pretty clear sign that Megatron is just b.s-ing Optimus. He had it coming. If Megatron was being sincere, he wouldn't have gone on a murderous rampage when he returned in TF4.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  8. Primus Productions

Primus Productions Defender of the bayverse Veteran

News Credits:
    Exactly!, and same here. I get really annoyed when there's people out there that compare this optimus to the others. But in my opinion, this is the most realistic and relatable optimus prime. I'd say TFA and TFP come next as good written Optimus's. Pretty much everything you stated about bayverse Optimus through is completely justified, and I for one. Highly agree. AOE didn't cause optimus's character to become "worse". If anything this film was moreso a optimus film. Focusing on what should be handled for his character.

Through everything, Megatron has done from during so in DOTM and the previous beforehand. I doubt Optimus has any care for Megatron. He more likely saw Megatron as a lost cause and to far gone into his insanity. So at the end of the day, I still believe Optimus did not believe Megatron and felt he merely was trying to save his own life. And what @Rumblestorm said is a good backup to this discussion.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rumblestorm

News Credits:
    If any changes, I wish he would have had more moments in the film like he and Cade's heart to heart, but there's so much we can ask from the movie's creators lol. I think thats another reason why TLK disappointed me so much. We get a big character arc for Optimus that challenges everything he believes and he overcomes his crisis by the end of the film. In TLK he shows up to be given brief exposition, says "I am Optimus/Nemesis Prime" a few times, slings his sword a bit, and The End. Major dissapointment, especially after the badass "I'm coming for you" moment he left us off in AOE.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wheeljack84

Wheeljack84 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The movies made Optimus Prime into a bloodthirsty sociopath. He lacks none of the wisdom required of a Prime.

• Like Like x 1
  11. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What I took away from AOE, was that Optimus was a soldier who had served, and then been told he was just “worthless.”

He put in his time, tried to keep a truce between the humans, helped take down the Decepticons, and what did he get in return? Humans claiming the Autobots were monsters, then them hunting down amd killing all of the Autobots around him. He’s the hero who has fallen, and has to learn what it means to have faith again.

Heck, his anger at hearing about Ratchet seemed justified. It reminded me of the stories of men who were angered in war, upon finding out the enemy had mutilated their friends and comrades.

Plus, how would you feel if your friend was fired upon until you couldn’t recognize his body, and the enemy then did horrible things to his remains?

Plus, the seed just...disappears.

Bay never seems to care about continuity much, just like in regards to how/when Galvatron became Megatron (and seemed to now be serving Quintessa).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Rumblestorm

News Credits:
    Honestly I could just accept the seed just being lost in space after Optimus went into stasis. Its the least glaring of all the films issues.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love movie Optimus Prime, I love his design, I love how he moves, I love how Peter Cullen brings him to life.

I was a little bothered by some of his less than noble moments across the original three movies - there weren't really any in TF07, "Give me your face" is a little weird in ROTF, and him shouting "You die!" And executing Sentinel at the end of DOTM is definitely off. But I never was a member of the "murder Prime" camp.

That said, I love that AOE decided to lean in on that idea. It gave us a more layered character with actual development, and it drew out the very best work from Peter Cullen. Prime has a real arc in AOE, which he doesn't have in prior films and honestly most modern TF media outside comics. I think it was a really cool idea to explore and made AOE feel like a necessary sequel rather than needless extension of a completed trilogy. It's too bad things took a nosedive with TLK.

• Like Like x 5