3D Artwork: Optimus Prime 3D Demo Reel

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by GeneralSoundwav, Feb 4, 2008.

1. GeneralSoundwav

GeneralSoundwav 3D TF Artsist

http://generalsoundwave.deviantart.com/art/Optimus-Prime-Animation-Reel-76246880

This is my newest edition to my portfolio.

I wanted to share the past years fan work with you. For those of you who have seen a similar demo like this, it has been updated since last year :) 

Please keep in mind that I'm not a special effects artist by any means..... I specialize in character work. The past 5 months have been animation cleanup since the last released demo and the past month has been post-production. It was time to seriously revamp the animations and clean them up before I threw them into Unreal. The model has cleared the 5 year benchmark and needs to be redone... absolutely... for sure. Expect it.

Special Thanks:

Yeshua HaMashiach

My Beautiful Wife
    My 2 wonderful sons

Mightybuck
    Beamer
    Demp B!
    J-SterJ
    R3D Rooster
    SpidermanJonz
    DustyWeathers
    George Tremarco
    10ScaryMonkeys
    Blanko
    Yujizzle
    BZO
    LittleIron
    Straya
    CaptainDingleDangle
    BigJ.Money
    JOSH Burcham
    B.Fryberger
    B.Quintan.
    Russel L.
    Azem
    Pixelfillu
    Tyawatha
    The Bad Boys at ReproLabels.com
    Denyer @ TFArchive.com
    BrendanR @ TFArchive.com

G1 Audio Music and Effects:
    Peter Tangstrom

2. RHansen

RHansen Veteran

News Credits:
    looks pretty good but I noticed a few things I'd like to crit but I couldn't rewind to review it a little better, is there another format you can upload it in?

3. GeneralSoundwav

I'm a 3D guy at heart. Uploading new codecs and video players is something that I'm still learning about.... so at this point, no. I apologize.

4. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

It seems that you have a "clean" version of that guitar song that Jazz always plays. If so...want to share? :) 

5. Kthardin

Kthardin Well-Known Member

I see what you did here. Bendy metal, much like the original animated series must have had. No real joints, just bend points where a human would normally bend. Also no shoulder joints, heh, which is something I note a lot of 3D artists have to do in order to make them move without sacrificing too much of the original character design to give them the ability to move decently.

This was true even of the hyper realistic 'toon posted on the Fanclub site recently...just look at them, no shoulder joints. Still, they tried to make it as 'real' as possible giving them actual bend points as much as they could...even though they still moved pretty stiffly.

Your model has the advantage of fluid motion, but could never actually move that way with normal metals. This is not a negative critique, just an observation. If you wanted something that works like the original animation, you have it and then some here. I'd love to see what else you could pull off with it.

6. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Old Git

News Credits:
    Very impressive work - the only thing that put me off were the oversized hands and feet sometimes seem too big.
    I particularly like the selection of weapons - very imaginative.

7. RunaR

RunaR Well-Known Member

Very nice. The animations are fluid and have a lot of character.
    Some times the weapon animations seem to be out sync with the sound or they are a bit more jaggy then the other animations.

8. Teflonknight

Teflonknight Duck, I have a Boom Canon

This is really good. It struck me as having an animation tests for a new video game feel. A first person shooter like quake. Well done.

9. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Brilliant stuff! That would work perfectly in a game.

10. GeneralSoundwav

Kthardin
    ah yes.... i have often ran into folks who have a theory that metal doesn't bend...

yea... hes got shoulder joints, just no clavicle.

i believe that transformers have segmented metal which allows for 'bending'. much like telescoping, the segments help in transformations as well as combat. i believe hands down that their melee combat skills would be severely limited without it!

Rodentus prime
    I used multi-variable lenses when i rendered Prime out. You are correct in your observation... It is true that he looks like 'his hands and feet are too big.' I exaggerated both because thats what he looks like in the orig cartoon. Its just the camera foreshortening that brings it out.

RunaR
    your name sounds extremely fimiliar..... and yes.. great eye. the sound isnt off, the animation is. i rushed the weaponry section. well done. If you are a 3d modeler yourself, I think I've been looking for you.

11. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

That's amazing. good work. I might be going into animation myself and it's really cool to see the skills in action.

12. GeneralSoundwav

The game market always needs animators.... not so much modelers, but definitely texturemappers and animators.

13. RunaR

RunaR Well-Known Member

You switched off PM's so....
    I am a 3d modeler, but your name doesn't ring a bell. The stuff I did with Transformers are the WWI Prime in my sig, a superdeformed Jazz (3rd prize in the First4Figures contest), a Powerglide model for Quake 2 and a Jazz model for Quake 3. The last 2 are published under my old name RIP.
    Last 3D stuff I did was for Openfrag.org, an opensource game engine project.

14. GeneralSoundwav

PMs are turned on everyone. I apologize to those of you who were trying to get in touch. i dont mind if you folks want to hit me up on IM either, as long as you stay clean :) 

[email protected]