OPTIMUS PRIME #17 and #18 Discussion (MAJOR SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Issy543, Apr 17, 2018.

1. TargetmasterJoe

TargetmasterJoe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    It just hit me that this is the second time a Shockwave became a Prime. The first time was in Transformers Animated where the Shockwave in that universe went undercover as Longarm Prime.

(Granted, being a Prime in G1 is worlds different from being a Prime in Animated, but still.)

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  2. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That thing??? But what is it doing here, now?

That was a great episode, but this is not like that, since that'd like Sisko going back in time, killing that person and then realizing "oops I should not have done this". Shockwave is smart, he has studied history, he recognized who Onyx was right away, and killed him anyway. I find it hard to believe he had a plan on what to do right there and then.
    And this all still does not explain where he has been while the OTHER present time him was around, getting sucked into singularities and such. Heck, why not just prevent his own empurate while he is at it, he could have saved himself without revealing his presence...

You are not alone. That's exactly how I feel. Sad to say but IDW has slowly killed all my interest in TF comics by now. I am still reading these but usually by waiting a few months and checking them all together sometimes. Honestly, things were turning bad even way before Dark Cybertron happened, but that was probably the event when I gave up on Barber as a good writer. He is more interested in Shayalaman-like "What a twist!" headscratchers than writing good characters and touching stories.

Oh, wait, this Krieger guy has been around for CENTURIES? And he was some ancient Visionaries technosorcerer? And he never decided to y'know, TAKE OVER EARTH?
    Man this is bad writing.

3. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for putting this to words better than I did. :D 
    I sometimes wonder, did Barber write anything for as long as this before IDW for others? Would he have revealed that Lex Luthor actually travelled back in time, got the anti-life equation and that he has always been Darkseid all along throughout 60 years of DC history (because they are both bald)? Or that Loki was Thanos all along and it was all a giant prank to pull on Thor when he would gather the Infinity gems, then pretend to snap his fingers and then just reveal himself shouting "SUCKERS!" to his brother?
    I think the answer is, better editors simply do not let writers mess up the universe on such a grand scale, but IDW is rebooting everything, so likely Chris Ryall or whoever is in charge does not care anymore and told Barber to do whatever he wants.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Barber is in charge now

5. Probe

Probe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Uhmmmmm.....
    [​IMG]
    Pretty sure that yeah, he'd be able to do a story like that at another publisher.

6. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    What was the Xantium doing in Dark of the Moon? What was the Matrix of Leadership doing in Armada? What was Hot Shot doing in Henkei? Transformers always borrows and reinterprets elements from previous iterations. It's called an homage.

• Like Like x 3
  7. optimaloptimus2

optimaloptimus2 Sonic Xtreme, not Mario!

News Credits:
    I love the implications of the twist and always loved Shockwave as a villain, but I can't help but feel cheated: Shockwave's last moments in Dark Cyberton were as his Senator self and I always hoped that when he came back, it'd be as Senator Shockwave. Instead we're essentially told to forget that change of heart ever happened and that irritates me.

Unless Shockwave is his Senator persona pretending to be evil for a greater purpose or something. After all, John's pulled off crazier stuff (such as the twist we're discussing right now).

Also, I guess it's a safe assumption that Optimus has also been sent back to relive history as The Arisen? I assume he saves Bumblebee on the way back to the present (hey, maybe Bumblebee becomes the Arisen!)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Probe

Probe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The implication is that he IS Senator Shockwave, or at least has his emotions back, but that doesn't mean he's suddenly a better person.

• Like Like x 2
  9. TargetmasterJoe

TargetmasterJoe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    The solicitation for an upcoming issue of Optimus Prime said something about Shockwave "teaming up with the Autobots."

Until further notice, I suppose we'll have to make of that what we will. For all we know, it could mean Shocky brainwashed the Autobots into thinking he's the best...

10. Probe

Probe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think odds are definitely in the favor of "teaming up with the Autobots Against Unicron" of course the solicit does inply this is before Optimus returns so it could be part of the trick.

11. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just caught up with OP after a year of disinterest, and wow. Yeah, I SUPER did not like 17-18 either.

Some really terrible writing going on in this book, and I'm usually pretty forgiving.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

I kinda like how pretty much the entire IDW continuity is now "Shockwave did it!"

Shockwave:1
    Wizards: 0

Watch and learn, Merklyn.

• Like Like x 8
  13. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    I find it rather clever.

Shockwave sure has some killer patience to pull all this off.

14. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Wow, I just realized I partially called 17's twist ending last February:

• Like Like x 2
  15. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

Yep how many g1 elements were borrowed from the g1 series for dotm?

16. Thumbaticon

Thumbaticon "It's all right, I'm an emergency vehicle!"

I just had to post this after reading vol 1 of the idw collection. Coincidence?

upload_2018-7-12_19-39-25.png upload_2018-7-12_19-39-41.png

• Like Like x 4
  17. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude, you should tweet this at Barber and Roberts! That can't be coincidental. Ha...maybe the "change shape legend" came from Shockwave changing himself into Onyx. =)

18. CleverNamePendingatron

CleverNamePendingatron Just an ordinary cassette. Nothing to see here.

I agree, it can't be a coincidence. Barber and Roberts don't do coincidences. Everything is planned meticulously to the nth degree. If I had an dollar for every time a larger plot development was foreshadowed years earlier with a throwaway line that we all but ignored at the time, I'd be able to afford a Masterpiece BW Megatron by now. Having said that though, this would be the first time (to my knowledge) that a plot thread from one writer ties into a throwaway line from the other. Usually they just build upon their own stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  19. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Haaaaaaa :) 

Seriously I meant more like it was a throwaway line from roberts that Barber has now integrated into continuity. Hence, not a coincidence. Not that this was meticulously planned to be that way from the opening of LL. :) . My bad!!

• Like Like x 2
  20. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I’m hoping the reboot will be in the same way Beast Machines is a reboot of Beast Wars, rather than throwing everything out and completely starting again. But that’s what I expect they will do. Either way, without Roberts, I doubt there will be a fun Transformers book. Fun in the quirky MTMTE way, rather than kiddy fun like RiD’15 or Rescue Bots.