Optimus Prime #15 discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Omegashark18, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    This issue was pure “set the stage”.

Showing the current situation on Earth and Cybertron. The tensions all going to blow up in Optimus’ face now. Starscream on the other hand, seems to be perfectly content with his situation.

Onyx arrives at the very end of the issue, with Leige Maximo in chains. He claims to be Cybertron’s reckoning and if I read it correctly, apparently the Arisen was responsible for Cybertron’s fall.

That reckoning line immediately made me compare Onyx with Bane.

And we also get a full look at Onyx’s face, and boy is he ferocious looking.

2. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    Cool issue :)  although I'm a wee bit sad that Sara's awesome Maximo designed was altered a bit to invoke more of his old design.

Also, good job on capturing Liege Maximo, Chromia XD I'll add it to your growing list of failures (don't worry. I still love you)

3. Whisky26

Whisky26 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Don't forget it gave The Barbs an opportunity to undo ALL of the character development that Mairghread did with Windblade and Starscream in TAAO... :( 

4. Sidesprey

Sidesprey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only thing that bothers me this issue is Onyx's legs.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

What.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

I was actually kinda hoping that Onyx would come to Cybertron semi-peacefully, which he did, but considering IDW's recent track record I wasn't sure if they had the competence to do that. Waiting to see if they make good on the next issue.

Also if Liege Maximo is back in chains already, then Chromia and her crew basically just went on a wild goose chase, didn't they? Maybe they will show up in Lost Light?

And is anyone really surprised that Optimus is the Arisen? Regardless of context it's kind of taken for granted that Optimus is the Transformers version of Jesus.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

Yeah for some dumb reason they missed the fact that he's a centaur, not a biped. This wouldn't be so bad if they didn't exactly copy his Aligned design.

• Like Like x 2
  8. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay new theory: Starscream is going to die in the battle against Unicron. And then in whatever book comes after that, he's going to come back from the grave to try and destroy the world. Multiple times.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Stryker055

Stryker055 History Man Extraordinare

I rather like how Barber has handled the "Optimus Prime is the Arisen" thing in IDW. In the Aligned version, it was made explicit that Orion Pax was literally a direct reincarnation of the Thirteenth Prime (who was even called Optimus Prime), but here that direct connection is rarely brought up in the conversation. The fact that people just straight-up call Optimus "The Arisen" without it ever being some big "aha!" moment (mostly it's been the Mistress, whose stance is more or less entirely based on faith) makes it feel less like a gratuitous deification of Optimus and more like an actual religious belief in a returning savior, a role which Optimus happens to be (now intentionally) playing into.

Onyx calling Optimus the Arisen could read like a confirmation of identity, but we also don't yet know what role "the Arisen" played within the 13 Tribes (if he even played any at all; he has yet to appear in any flashbacks and I don't think any contemporaries have referred to him outside of bestowing the title on Optimus). It seems unlikely to me, given how this plot point has been portrayed, that Onyx is literally recognizing Optimus Prime as the same individual he knew as the thirteenth Prime also named Optimus. Especially since we know the Primes aren't supernatural gods, so a literal reincarnation backstory makes very little sense.

At the very least, I expect any direct connection between the Arisen and Optimus to be downplayed so as to keep with IDW's status quo on keeping religious truths ambiguous. Barring some kind of direct mandate from Hasbro, I don't see Barber shaking that up anytime soon (though Unicron's presence will make that somewhat challenging, I'm sure).

(Personally, I think it would be more interesting if actual the Arisen had been someone like Nominus, who was betrayed and killed by Infinitus/Sentinel on Onyx's orders, which then unwittingly set into motion the events that led to Optimus Prime fulfilling the role of the Arisen anyway.)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Fallout

Fallout a dude he can't lose when lives on love

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    magrada's 'hair' reminds me of knuckles from sonic the hedgehog. kind of hard to take seriously, lol

optimus getting pelted by a small rock is also fuckin hilarious.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  11. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Wait really? What did this issue do to undid what both Windblade and Starscream went through in TAAO?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Boatformer

Boatformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    It didn't undo anything, except for showing that Starscream still isn't a total altruistic good-guy and he's still kind of a selfish dick. Which is, like, in-character; the best way I'd sum up IDW Starscream's arc is "wants to be better than he is but doesn't think it's possible". Hence cynically labeling himself as the best leader Cybertron ever had - he doesn't think he's a good person or that he's redeemable, but thinks he belongs in prison where he is.

I thought this was a lot better than issues 11-14, which were pretty damn weak. It was set-up, but it was GOOD set-up. Nice art, funny interactions, character development, and Onyx Prime arriving in the skies over Iacon in Unicron's fucking eyeball.

• Like Like x 8
  13. Stryker055

Stryker055 History Man Extraordinare

Yeah, I didn't read it that way at all. The culmination of Starscream's development in TAAO was the absolute confession of all his crimes and willingly accepting the consequences of his actions. Nowhere in his dialogue here does he regret his confession, nor does he even complain about his imprisonment. He's sardonically painting himself in a positive light, but it's important to note that he's only talking to himself (or at least thinks he's talking to himself, since Bee's form is still questionable) and not trying to convince anyone else. When Scoop appears, Starscream immediately begins belittling and mocking him, but there's nothing manipulative about it, unlike practically all their previous interactions.

Starscream is completely in-character post-TAAO because he's being honest.

• Like Like x 8
  14. Whisky26

Whisky26 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    W/R/T Starsream: I sort of disagree. I feel like TAAO leaves him as a character that has finally admitted that he wants to change even if that's hard. The Starscream who confessed is a Starscream who gave up everything because he didn't want to be Starscream the Schemer anymore. I don't think he was quite at "altruistic good-guy" but I do think he is someone that has accepted a bit of humility and a bit of thinking about others. Thus, the "bragging" to Bee and the taunting Scoop just felt a little . . . off. I'm not sure what the interaction with Scoop should have been, but with Bee, I think the Starscream from the end of TAAO would actually care more about Bee's reactions. A friend of mine had an excellent insight this: Starscream confessed because he wanted to finally make the right decision AND it gave him a way to final be free of Megatron. Starscream sacrificed everything so that Elita wouldn't gain power and that Cybertron would unite behind someone who was more concerned about others than herself. By confessing, Starscream did what Megatron COULDN'T (nor could Optimus for that matter). This is why I think the Starscream we see this issue feels hollow; Starscream's sacrifice (of his power) is important because it required true commitment to being better and not taking short-cuts. And commitment like that is harder to backslide from...(IMO)

W/R/T Windblade: I've always disliked how Barber writers her compared to Mairghread. Since Dark Cybertron, Barber always writes Windblade as this abrupt, stoic misanthrope. But that isn't who she has been for most of time in the IDW-verse. Windblade leads with her heart and that isn't how Barber writes her. If anything, I feel like he almost writes Windblade the way Mairghread writes Mistress of Flame (but less pompous).

Also, before anyone says it, I'm not saying Barbs is "ruining" anything. I just generally prefer Mairghread's handling of Windblade and Starscream. I wish he was using those characters more than just set pieces in the story of Jebus, the big red truck that is riddled with self-doubt/Optimus Prime...

• Like Like x 1
  15. NexusPrime

NexusPrime The finder of Gears

News Credits:
    Was Optimus Primal and Megatron in the issue?

16. power3921

power3921 Well-Known Member

Only in the panel or two we saw them in the preview

17. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Windblade is being abrupt with Optimus in this issue for a very specific reason - because he betrayed her trust during First Strike.

And WRT Starscream: to paraphrase Rattrap, just because Starscream made a choice to do good doesn't that he's also going to be good. Choosing to break the cycle of his own bad choices and do the right thing isn't mutually exclusive with being a smug dick, which is just what his personality is.

I'd personally thought that the TAAO Annual took Starscream's personality changes a little too far, TBH, so I'm pretty happy with "Starscream genuinely wants to be better, but he also won't stop being Starscream" as a status quo going forward.

• Like Like x 9
  18. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i wish these comics, and the web series, weren't approaching the 13 with the "game of thrones" everyone is kinda bad things and make them all antagonistic

• Like Like x 1
  19. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

Don't you know after 34 years that optimus prime IS transformers ;) ;) :p 

• Like Like x 2
  20. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

MUCH better than the last few issues. Is a nice opening chapter that is heavily influenced by Power of the Primes but still manages to deliver an interesting story with good character work and solid content.

Zama's artwork was appropriate as usual. Not sure what to expect in future issues considering the editorial nature of the event but so far, so good.