Optimus Prime #11

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ILoveDinobot, Oct 11, 2017.

1. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Oh, I don't think the comic will assume that much. I mean, yea, you'll miss details, but after Dark Cybertron, they talked about the time Shockwave tried to collapse the universe and Megatron turned good. Combiner Wars, they talked about rampaging combiners and opening contact with the colony. Revolutions, dire wraith invaded and GI Joe got put in charge.

Characters in IDW Transformers like to talk about stuff that happened before.

I'll point to the City on Fire arc, where his initial RiD storyarc concluded with a defeated citywide uprising, Megatron and Devastator defeated, and Starscream in charge, and the Galvatron arc, which ended with ripping Galvatron's head off in Jupiter and he annexed Earth.

Barber has done some pretty nice conclusions in there, and some of the dialog strongly indicates to me he's got a game in mind with our Optimus.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kafuka Fuura

Kafuka Fuura Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love the art, but I find it hilarious that this comic is even named OP and the main goal of plotline is about making him an unlikeable character.

No wonder Megatron would dump him for Minimus.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  3. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Something I’d like to point out- others criticize him the most in universe when he does political stuff.

The fallout of this is... he’s likely to be forced out of major political positions, and having handed over his main job on Earth.

Something tells me he may not be entirely unhappy with this in the end.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Boatformer

Boatformer #HaulOfFame

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    But then what would he do instead? He's completely ill-adjusted to both peacetime and receiving orders. He could fly off to be an adventurer, again, but he quit that for a reason.

5. Probe

Probe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Drive freight?

Or just die in the Unicron event next year which gives Barber the time to wrap up the dual politics and Onyx Prime plotlines.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Lionheart

Lionheart Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know I am super late to the party but I can't stress how good this post is. Since exrid S2, both books have featured subtle parallels between Optimus and Prowl within the narrative. Arcee is probably the character most aware of it. In fact i'm pretty sure she brought that up at some point within her monologues but I could be mistaken.
    My one gripe with Barbers characterization is the inconsistency of Optimus in regards to constantly reclaiming his "Prime" title only to not have much confidence in the legitimacy of it a moment later. During and a bit after Dark Cybertron it seemed like Optimus was confident in it again but come exrid S2 Combiner wars and he loses faith in his primehood, then come Titans Return and once more he is confident in himself as Prime and what it means but now we're back to square 1 in Optimus Prime where Optimus thinks nothing of primehood. I want this cycle of doubt to end already.
    Ironically I can see everyone BUT Soundwave leaving Optimus. Although Soundwave was originally blackmailed into joining Primes side, I'm convinced Soundwave is one of the only characters who genuinely has faith in Optimus judging by all the stuff he had to say about Prime during that fight with Sentinel during Titans Return. Then there's Revolution, First Strike, the fact that he's Optimus' 2nd in command. It also helps that neither really have the moral highground in this friendship (?). Soundwave has done horrible things, manipulated people as well, and compromised his morality and ideals on more than one occasion and Optimus is doing exactly that at this moment.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Boatformer

Boatformer #HaulOfFame

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Maybe, but one of the humans observed in OP #3 that Soundwave seemed uncomfortable with Optimus, so...

• Like Like x 1
  8. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude. Your post finally (brilliantly) answers the question I've had for so long...why Optimus (person everyone admires, hero to all, etc.) ever had Prowl as a second in command. Thanks for this. Wish it showed up slightly more explicitly in the books.

9. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Irony is Earth has no desire to have Optimus Prime as much as the current Government of Cybertron wants him. I can here TC contacting Starscream complaining to the fact he gets to deal with Optimus Prime. I would love to see that communication between the two.

10. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

I liked the issue with Sideswipe, but mainly because I like Sideswipe and (like Barber, apparently) I also enjoyed reading The Incident at Owl Creek as a kid.

11. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

Here's the thing that everyone who wants Optimus out doesn't see-- and that the alternative to having Optimus there might be worse.

Everyone's shitting on Optimus (and in particular some of the readership who seem to be rooting for this) because they think they can do a better job, but then Aelirion is doing the exact same thing Optimus is doing and perhaps is finding out it's harder than it looks. See what happens when it's Pyra Magna's turn.

• Like Like x 3
  12. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From leadership stand point you look at Marissa and the President they even acknowledge that the alternative might be worse and the decisions Optimus Prime makes were the correct ones but are they popular, no. Elita 1 and Starscreams having different reasons to hate Optimus Prime are too embroiled in politics to see what going on beyond their neck of the world. If Optimus was not a Prime in Elita 1 case she may not hate him but she has long standing hatred of the title and the people who hold it. Starscream stated the truth saying there are some of us hate more than Elita 1, Prime. But even Starscream sees the decision that Optimus Prime makes is the correct one and he would made that same decision. He also is aware there some on the council feel humans are not equal to them and he uses those perceptions. Starscream's hatred of Optimus Prime not only stems from he was leader of the Autobots but he is also is popular and admired at one time.

Galactic Counsel and Black Consortium will not sit happily while Cybertron becomes a stable government with it's colonies. I doubt the two entities will remain out the picture for long because a Cybertron not having a civil war can become a political power.

13. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Hm I don't know when the last Optimus Prime book was, that I read. But this thread does not seem to spoil anything to me. So not much has happened then, I suppose?

14. Lionheart

Lionheart Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sideswipe died like 2 issues ago.
    That being said, this issue and last issue were more character driven as opposed to having anything to do with the core story so at this moment nothing is happening on Earth. Although Cybertron is in total chaos.

15. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Oh, it seems I missed only this issue so far. :lol  Seemed longer ago somehow.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

Sound wave going along with optimus the way he does still doesn't sit well with me. After all these guys were enemies for millions of years. Even if the founder of your movement decided to go over to the iposition and the new leader isn't any better with his approach doesn't mean you have to side with your enemy.

Sound wave turning on optimus in a serious way could still happen. I wouldn't trust him ifvi was prime.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I was expecting more of the same bullshit. I was sceptical for the first few pages.
    But honestly? This was good. This is what this title should be like. Give us more of this Barber, please.
    I the marvel style art was :lol 

18. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Well, he was blackmailed into joining OP. So in spite of his on the nose sudden change of heart he is Soundwave. He could stab OP in the back at any moment, but he would be smart enough he hasn't got the power to succesfully take him out right now. And we still don't know what he was doing in Africa during Galvatron's reign.

19. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    True. Cybertron and the council of worlds getting along and becoming a major galactic power would not be in the best intrest of either organisation.
    This is what i have been hoping for for a long time. For either organisation to try and sway eart and other planets their way and against Cybertron.

20. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    I assume you meant "Galactic Council" and not "Council of Worlds."