Optimus Prime #1 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Stryker055, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    An early issue in season 2 already dealt with that. Now Jazz is just... There.

2. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

Barber has a bit of a problem with distracting extraneous characters. It's pretty crucial in comics to make sure any character taking up a lot of panel space is also being developed in some way or is tied in to the plot. Roberts really dropped the ball with Riptide, but at least that was his own character - Barber's treatment of Jazz is bizarre, to say the least. He keeps moving him into the frame as if there's something we ought to be paying attention to, but then he just ends up losing an arm, doing a bit of jive talk and sinking back into the background.

Barber also seems to have put Sideswipe and Sunstreaker into limbo before doing anything with them that would justify their presence in this book (Sideswipe at least seemed to have his developing relationship with Arcee, but Sunny was all over the place). Tracks' subplot didn't go anywhere interesting, and poor Astrotrain might as well have been replaced with a lifeless personal shuttle. I guess he's just likes giving the tertiary characters something to say or do every so often, but I find it oddly clumsy, because I expect dialogue to always be telling me something important about either character or plot, rather than just reminding me someone exists.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Thats true, but if so Barber needs to do something with the character instead of having him tag along all the time.
    But still, its Jazz: he's appeared in media a lot. There are characters who need the attention more.

4. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Its by Kei Zama according to the Wiki, i think i remember the style from Dark Cybertron and the Costa ongoing ?
    Cant say its quite my cup of tea.

5. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    Zama never worked on Dark Cybertron or the Costa ongoing. She's done covers before, but these are her first interiors.

6. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Well-Known Member

The art maybe messy, but the bots are presented as grand figures, especially Optimus and Pyra Magna.

7. Staredown

Staredown Banned

The story was going well until Optimus thought that perhaps pyra magna might be right to handle the matrix. Embarrassing from barber.

8. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

Elaborate.

9. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I didnt even notice a story untill they arrived in the alps :lol 
    I hope Barber elaborates on that 'conflict' cause it has potential and might tie in to OP's vision in issue 50.

10. Staredown

Staredown Banned

Dreadful character and unlike Optimus Prime totally.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I read up on TFWiki on this issue, because I could not remember a thing. When I read TFWiki, it all came to me again and I thought "Yeah, I read all that, I remember now". Now I still don't remember what happened in that issue. Weird. I don't think I will buy this monthly.

• Like Like x 1
  12. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I read Pyra Magna's bio once since she is in Victorion so much I can distinguish her from the other TorchBearers. It is like Pyra Magna is a religious nut job to extreme but that worships Optimus Prime. Other than her fellow Torchbearers can be drones given how much personality they had. Heck even the Aerialbots have more personality and distinction than the Torchbearers. Other than the fact they used to serve the Mistress of Flame. They come off as major bores and not great as annoyance as Aileron. The problem is with Camien characters they come religious nut jobs and few characters that are interesting are the outcasts like Nautica, Velocity or even FireStar. Mainstream Camiens are boring and quite dull.

13. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Hm now if Star Saber were to become a Prime somehow, that could be an interesting story, seeing as he's a religious nutjob himself.

• Like Like x 1
  14. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Star Saber actually has personality. It would be more interesting than having Pyra Magna doing it. I think it would be more interesting having Star Saber as the religious Nut than the Pyra Magna.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  15. TFan2013

TFan2013 Energon Seeker

That moment you find all is right with the world when you see your obscure favorite character in crunched in a group pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My beloved Dile.