Optimus Prime #1 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Stryker055, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I gotta be honest, I read this issue this morning and remember basically nothing from it. It was, more or less, the same humans-hate-transformers story plus a Quintesson ship drives into the planet. The flashbacks to post-shadowplay Optimus weren't exactly illuminating either. The cameos were fun, but otherwise this issue didn't really tell us anything we didn't already know.

Art was fantastic though.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    I was pretty surprised when I got to that page with Jetfire's 'Con badge revealed. It makes sense, as Ratchet reminded us, but I'd thought that ship had long since sailed. It's totally going to turn out that he was pals with Starscream, too, right? I do like how this puts him in a new light, especially his interactions with Optimus and some of his past remarks--particularly his muttering from the start of exRiD season 2 about only being the Ark-7 pilot because of his alt-mode.

Love the colonist "B-Team" already and hope to see a lot more of them. Also amused by how Pyra's pretty much become the Grimlock of this group.

Zama's art is AMAZING, especially with Burcham's colours making it look so G2-esque. Already one of my favourite TF art teams, and I hope they stick together for a long time to come.

Eh, I wasn't bothered by it at all. Zama's art combined with Burcham's colouring style here may give it a bit of a retro feel, but the book's not trying to be "Regeneration Two" or anything like that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    Love the artwork, the colors give it a really awesome G2-vibe to it, and of course the awesome 2000 AD reference.

Enjoyed this first issue, looking forward to what comes next.

4. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I really liked how in the present, the used Jetfire's Generations Leader class body, but in the past, they used his Classics (Stormbringer) body. It really worked.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

I really fucking liked this issue. The art is fantastic.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lots of interesting concepts launched this issue. I hope we get to see lots more characters from other series reinterpreted as colonists.

7. PhaseSixer

PhaseSixer Well-Known Member

I'm kinda meh on this, and the more these stories go on the more it's like were the decepticons really wrong for their actions? I mean what happens in war between intergaltic sentient robots is kinda, well what else did you expect. It's kinda like Megatrons actions were done trying to win a war. Were his methods brutal? Yes. But he thought they were necessary, I mean he was the General in charge. But anyway I'm meh in the sense of what's actually going on. I mean once we get earth in the council. Then what? I mean there is no real external threat right now. Humans are no real threat, the decepticons don't even exist anymore, Megatrons a autobot, I mean where are we actually headed? I mean the council stuff is being done to death in TAAO, Starscream ruling is kind of a joke. It's just getting kind of boring. Hope something actually happens within the next 6-12 issues

• Like Like x 1
  8. TheShockwave48

TheShockwave48 Kinda sorta artist

News Credits:
    Man, this issue was great! Zama's art with Burcham's retro colours is an amazing pair I never knew I wanted!

9. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    It was hinted many, many times in exRiD that Onyx and possibly more of the 13 are going to be the next big threat in OP. ExRiD even ended with Soundwave giving a speech on how they need to prepare for them.

10. Fallout

Fallout content in the same old schtick again

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    can someone get me some screencaps of roulette for reference, please? thanks in advance

11. JasonPrime

JasonPrime Well-Known Member

Optimus is great and all, we all love Optimus. But I think they missed a real opportunity here. This should have been a "Thundercracker" series. Let the central story focus around him (and buster) and how he handles things.

I did dig the G2 style art.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Big question: are the Junkions a separate colony, and if so, is the U.S.S. Corkscrew their Titan?

13. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the idea of a corkscrew Titan, should be wonderfully unique. All these city bots are a bit too blocky for me.

14. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Couldn't have said it better.

15. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

Interesting to see Outback as a villain, since we know his eventual fate. But there's a missed opportunity in making Zeta so obviously corrupt at this stage, rather than playing up the moral dilemma of how you root out bad behaviour in your state police force without undermining morale and giving destabilising factions the ammunition they need to stage a coup.

The art was great, and in general the issue was a lot of fun. My biggest complaint is this: what's the point of making it #1 in a new series? In what sense is this really supposed to pass as a jumping-on point? I scratch my head pointedly at the idea that anyone who hasn't been closely following ex-RID and IDW Transformers in general would have any idea what's going on here.

16. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

The previous titles had been going on for awhile and they needed a sales boost.

17. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    I only remember Optimus and Pyra Magma talking about Ore-13 and the Matrix. I read it yesterday and the last pages this noon.

18. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

That's still a silly reason. It seems like it's proving more confusing on the mtmte/lost light side than anything.

It's corporate "ideas". Whether from idw or Hasbro or a combination. Let's reboot! New number ones!!

Op at least seems to have used the reboot to shift focus (more directly primes pov) and a new artistic Voice. Obviously carrying on directly from xrid. Mtmte is clearly just season 3, which is FINE, but issue 1 is an "aftermath" story, not a new reader friendly jumping on point. Again, fine, but what can ya do. Repercussions of higher ups mucking about with a good thing.

19. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

We *did* have season-ending arcs before. It's not like it's mid-story or anything.

Don't knock it, sales keep the comics alive. No sales, no comic. Renumbering is one of the more benign sales boosters available, and it's pretty hard to boost comic sales.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  20. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

I'll be interested to see what the sales figures are for #2, because at the moment, I have serious trouble conceiving of the kind of reader who would buy either of these #1s, having not previously encountered this continuity, and find them anything less than bewildering and unsatisfying.

I'm no corporate/brand management wizard, but it seems to me incredibly obvious that if you want to boost readership, a superior tactic would be to commission brand new miniseries that begin with a completely fresh angle and gently lead readers in to the events of the main books. You wouldn't advertise them as miniseries, of course - you would simply announce a new series every six months or so ('Anode & Lug #1', 'Rust Renegades #1', 'Beast Planet #1' etc.) and plan each one around a six-issue path towards encountering the main cast. After six months, if the title is very successful you keep it going for another arc, and if not, you fold the casts into the main books and instruct readers to follow them there.