Optimus Prime #1 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Stryker055, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Stryker055

Stryker055 History Man Extraordinare

My take: Solid opening issue.

Barber's back to his old internal narration format, but considering this is a book about Optimus Prime, getting his internal monologue actually really works. Time will tell if it becomes more of an irritant than a narrative aid like it was back in RID.

The plot: Optimus Prime is still trying to get Earth to join in the Cybertron Council of Worlds (which to me seems like he hasn't progressed a whole lot since ex-RID #50, but whatever), but it looks like he's finally going to have to deal with the repercussions of his actions in the form of Aileron's hero-worshipping colony squad and Pyra Magna's increasingly-threatening challenges to his Matrix worthiness. Even though not much happened in the issue's current-day storyline, there's a lot to work on as the series progresses.

Story-wise, the most exciting part about this is delving into that weird in-between period of IDW continuity where war has already begun but Orion Pax isn't Prime yet. Since all we have now is the mediocre-at-best Autocracy, it'll be good to see Barber come in to smooth out any inconsistencies or oddities that resulted from that miniseries.

But holy crap, the artwork. Kei Zama's art is like a breath of fresh air - it's both modern and retro, and radically different from anything we've seen in a Transformers ongoing. I'm sure it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I love it. The grittiness of it works extremely well for the flashback scenes (Zama's Zeta Prime is absolutely gorgeous). I always liked Griffith's art, but Zama's is a geniune joy to look at. I'm honestly in for this series just for the artwork.

Anyway, that's my two cents. What does everyone else think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Biggest flaw with the book is that the lettering kinda clashes with the art.

I keep wanting speech bubbles/fonts evocative of the G2 comics, to better fit the art style.

3. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Pretty good first issue I'll say. I feel things will only get better as the series goes on. And reading Revolution doesn't feel like it's required.

And boy, that art... Wow.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot *º*Hockey mom and coach*º*

News Credits:
    NY'er living in the middle of nowhere, NC
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Quintessons? :eek: 

5. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Are they in the book already? If so, I'm gonna buy it now and read it. I was going to wait for it to become cheaper at first.

6. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    According to the plots for the upcoming issues, it's not the Quints, but rather the
    Junkions.

7. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    hm :( 

8. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot *º*Hockey mom and coach*º*

News Credits:
    NY'er living in the middle of nowhere, NC
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    That makes sense too. I thought it was too straightforward.

9. DanC

DanC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is Pyra Magna being vaguely mutinous new, or did I miss something from ex-RiD?

Either way, it's nice that a Torchbearer is getting something resembling characterization.

10. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    Well in the upcoming Annual, apparently she is going to be making claims to the Matrix.

11. SerBuckman

SerBuckman DIRECT RULE FROM CYBERTRON

It seems like everyone is dealing with mutinies and betrayals now.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

This might as well have been called "Transformers" once again since is not really an Optimus Prime solo book, a lot of characters also participate.

It was a solid read overall. Barber is following all the plot-points he created during the last series and continues to develope the whole cast. The appearance of obscure characters and some aspects like how Jetfire used to be a Decepticon were appreciated.

Not a fan of the art though, it looked rough and lacked enough clarity.

• Like Like x 1
  13. power3921

power3921 Well-Known Member

Man, the art is incredible! Between Kei Zama's style and Josh's amazing colouring, I think it's overtaken Lost Light as the better looking of the two books

14. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I enjoyed the story, that art is ridiculously gorgeous though. Some of the best I've seen in awhile including non TF comics. Don't know if I personally would have left Jazz behind to make a statement given the view some humans may take on his Costa actions, but between Soundwave's past and what Arcee's penchant for violence is I think he made the right choice.

15. Reask

Reask Predacon

Honestly I'm wondering what she did or said to Optimus off panel after Victorian went on about the Thirteen in issue 47. Brainwash him? Convince him he's one of the Thirteen? I mean if Pyra wanted the Matrix, why did she "Build up" Optimus prior to All Hail Optimus? Honestly, I've only noticed this lately but do you know what Pyra Magna is? Prowl's replacement. Same sort of helmet and horns and slightly disrespectful attitude, and the same blind trust Prime has for her for some reason.

So it'll be the Junkions next issue, not the children of Quintus Prime? Shame, I was kind of hoping with the appearance of the Quintessons, Wheelie and Garnak might return as well. Now the wiki entry for Jetfire's IDW profile is "Jetfire, never a Decepticon," Well, guess he starts off as a Decepticon again in this continuity, if that was the same Jetfire. And that was the same Outback who was called a good kid by Kup when he was just a corpse? I got a little uncomfortable seeing Orion beat Outback when one of the highlights of the Marvel UK comics was when Prime comforted a nearly dead Outback. I'm interested to seeing how Jetfire and Outback later fall under Optimus's command, but damn that's a bad start for them.

Good start though. :) 

• Like Like x 2
  16. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    That was a fairly solid issue. An interesting look at Prime dealing with past/present conflicts and schisms.

Finally a look at Jetfire being an ex-Decepticon! That really got my interest, and I'm looking to see where it goes.

17. AshleyCuadra

AshleyCuadra Tieria Prime

News Credits:
    Hopefully someone update's viewcomic so I can read the new optimus prime series

18. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Tonight the streets are ours

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Didn't she say in the first issue she was in that the matrix was hers/Victorion's? Or something to that effect anyway?

19. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

She's had a little vibe of that in exRiD, yea.

Basically she wants the Matrix in good hands... if Optimus steps up, good, if not... well, then she'll step up personally!

20. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I really like the colonist crew we have here, such a diverse group of bots from all over the galaxy.

I really hope they get more focus. I never thought we'd see characters like Roulette ever returning to the spotlight again.

I loved the part when Aileron is annoyed with their shit and Jetfire calls her out on that. :lol 

as for the main plot. It's alright.

Really tired of the humans vs Transformers plot.

I also realized the president has no name at all, she's just The President.

Man the flashbacks are mostly Orion Pax being angry and punching folks....meh.

Jetfire is an ex-Decepticon....well it's at least something for him.

I'm interested to see where they go with Pyra Magna.

and the Junkions are coming! :D