Opinions on TFA Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Dunking on Cybertronians, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Well, that's part of the brilliance of Animated keeping Megatron basically locked up all the time. That way when he comes out to play, you know shit's going down. In fact, in the season 1 finale after he gets his body back, that the animators cut an entire sequence where he just effortlessly curbstomps the Dinobots on his way to the AllSpark, because he was simply excessively kicking so much ass already.

• Like Like x 5
  2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Well, and because the animation was just too low quality. :oops: 

It's a shame that for it's brilliant style and quality story, Animated ironically had some awful animation at times.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Yeah, that too - but I just find it funnier that in an episode where it's basically just Megatron kicking everybody's ass the whole time, the only known part that got cut was of him kicking even more ass.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Magnus Leader

Magnus Leader Young Optimus Prime is the Best Optimus Prime.

Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I also don't get this part either.

As soon as Starscream's treachery was made clear, Megatron executed him as soon as he built a new body for himself.

And when it became clear that Starscream was being kept alive by abnormal means, Megatron took every conceivable step to ensure Starscream would have a hard time overthrowing him, from turning his own clones against him, to destroying the rest of the protoform army that Starscream created.

In contrast, it took G1 Megatron becoming Galvatron for him to finally kill off Starscream.

• Like Like x 7
  5. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Did you even watch Animated. Megatron's back story of leading a rebellion against Autobot oppression came from Animated. Prime expanded on that more adding the part about Megatron originally being a minor, the gladiator background came from G1.

Exactly the same as Prime... and also to build a new body for the majority of the first season where he was just a head.

Nope. Actually despite Prime giving him the background of a freedom fighter, I never really believed he was one. He seems straight up evil even before the war started. I'm not sure how Orion Pax or anyone ever thought he was good guy. I can see that in Animated, not really that he ever actually had good intentions but at least that he's capable of ACTING like his intentions are good. That's part of his manipulative nature. But Prime Megatron is just ALWAYS straight up evil. How he manages to make anything think otherwise is completely beyond me.

You really need to watch Animated.

Starscream stopping his back stabbing ways never made any sense and just seemed totally out of character for him. I kept waiting for it all to be an act. And that really has nothing to do with Megatron's character development. That's Starscream's character development not Megatron's.

Megatron's only character development was at the end of the series after being possessed by Unicron and the same exact thing happened and was done a lot better in IDW and even that horrible Prime Wars Trilogy.

That said... I will agree that Animated Megatron doesn't really grow as a character. He's the same cunning and manipulative character for pretty much the entire series. But he's also not even in every episode like other Megatrons are. Animated had human villains and other Decepticons who weren't really part of Megatron's army like Lockdown and Swindle just to name a few... so Megatron was just one recurring villain among many rather than the ONLY villain.

True, they do that a lot around here. Though to be fair, in this particular instance you did literally insult people just for having a different opinion than you in your very first post. That's not an actual cognitive debate, that's called trolling. Insulting people who don't agree with you is a great way to start an argument/flame war but a terrible way to have an actual cognitive debate.

I find it rather funny and ironic cause they're literally getting a taste of their own medicine for once considering I'm usually the one being insulted for having a different opinion. I don't even know why I'm defending them cause they kind of deserve it. I should just let you troll them. I mean you're not doing anything different than how they've been talking to my system so what do the hell do I care. I guess it just irritate me to see anyone being rude to anyone, even if they might deserve it. I don't know...

• Like Like x 2
  6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Megatron's heel-turn in TFPrime wasn't development, it was a contrivance.

"Megatron goes good' is such a hard pill to swallow, and literally no fiction has pulled it off, simply because it's unbelievable that someone that cruel, that murderous, responsible for the death of a world and subjugation of a species, can just become virtuous from a single experience.

It also feels so, so unsatisfying. A guy as bad as Megatron deserves punishment, not a fresh start. It makes it weak as hell to have a main villain who's this evil just get away with it, regardless of the mental gymnastics taken to get him there. It's bad storytelling, unless you establish him as more sympathetic, (which TFPrime certainly didn't) it just feels like a left-field development.

Also, and this has nothing to do with comparing the characters' personalities, but did anyone else just find Prime Megatron's face too goofy? He's got little cartoon shark teeth and big silly eyebrows and googly eyes. TFA Megatron, in his Earth Body, looked more threatening despite being from a cartoonier show. No pupils, no goofy shark teeth. In fact his Earth body was devoid of points and many traditionally "evil" elements. (which his Cybertronian body did, but it was also more of a movie homage) It actually made him more intimidating, because he wasn't "dressed" as a villain, it was all his his character. Also Prime Megatron had a brute's head, with little bulk above the eyebrows, which is usually how dumb characters are drawn, and combined with the other elements of his face made him look more like a dude who'd be working for Megatron rather than Megatron himself. And his face was so simple in its shape, but every Prime character had the same basic face structure save for Dreadwing/Skyquake and Predaking. (kinda) Also his fingers were silly.

I mean, people don't insult you for having a different opinion, but you have a reputation for arguing things you either don't understand, or are just factually incorrect about, and never ever accepting it. And it frustrates people, that's not an insult, and it doesn't mean you're always wrong or anything like that, but let's not obfuscate the reality of things.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  7. Kris Redmond

Kris Redmond TFA fan

I find both tfp Megatron and starscream designs to be goofy looking, especially in the case of Starscream(come on you cannot tell me that thing looks threatening)

• Like Like x 2
  8. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I don't know that I can think of a cartoon version of Megatron that I didn't like, and Animated was no exception.

9. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave A Big Fan of (Sound/Shock)wave

Yeah, I felt like the designers for Prime Megatron tried a bit too hard to make him scary, overshot, and made him look a bit goofy instead. (It doesn't help that he was frequently cross-eyed for some reason either.)

Regarding the main topic of the thread, Animated Megatron is one of the best main antagonists in the franchise to date. While I do wish he'd gotten a little more time in the spotlight, I liked what I saw of him. He was cunning, he was intimidating, he was manipulative, he was ruthless, and he had a good voice actor. Of main antagonists in the Transformers cartoons, he's in my top four favorites for sure. (The others are Deathsaurus from Victory, Megatron from Beast Wars/Machines, and G1 Megatron, mainly for reasons of seniority.)

• Like Like x 3
  10. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Really because to me it seems like every argument starts because I have an unpopular opinion. Some times it's about me being wrong but that only accounts for like 10% of the total arguments. The other 90% is you just not liking my opinions.

And this an incorrect reputation as there are multiple posts where I have in fact admitted I was wrong. In fact there are multiple instances where arguments have continued AFTER I already admitted my mistakes. I usually end up having to put people on ignore just because you refuse to ever let an argue end regardless of who wins. Some times I'm right, some times your right, either way it doesn't matter. Just admitting when I'm wrong is never good enough for you. You have to constantly drag things out harassing me till I feel like total shit. So again... it really feels more like you just don't like my opinions more than caring about facts. And the times I have been right it's been you who refuse to admit it not me.

Not an insult? I've had people literally call me stupid, ignorant, ect. How is that not an insult? You get frustrated too easily if a simple conversation over a cartoon based on a toy line for children is enough to get you frustrated. I'm the only one who really deserves to be frustrated considering the INSULTS and harassment we've put up with on a daily basis. We often take breaks from this place just to get a break from it and come back hoping things might change. But the only change I see unfortunately is things getting WORSE. You start fights with other board members when I'm not around because you're only happy when you're arguing with someone. Some times you have a valid point like with this thread but other times you're just being a bully be it to us or someone else, you're always harassing someone. You don't have civil discussions unless everyone agrees with you, whenever anyone has a different opinion you pick a fight with them. There is no reason to insult someone just because they don't agree with you. Even if they're wrong you don't need to go there and you do go there quite often. That is what's frustrating.

I never thought I was always wrong but according to you I am... even my opinions are wrong. You're the one who always has to be right no matter what. Again... you only seem happy when everyone agrees with you or your putting others down. You know what the difference between a civil discussion and an argument is? It doesn't matter who's right or wrong, it doesn't matter if I agree with the person I'm talking to or not... I never stoop so low as to insult someone over such petty stuff. You have no such respect. You're wrong, you won't admit it... I'm just going to ignore you and move on, it's not worth my time. I don't like your opinion... all I really want from you is some understanding of my point of view. You don't have to agree with it but at least make an effort to understand what I'm saying. You won't even do that because you're too busy being right all the time to even TRY to see things from my point of view. I try my best to at least UNDERSTAND your point of view, even if I don't agree with you because I'm not here for an echo chamber where everyone just agrees with me all the time. I'm here to have conversations with other people who share the same interests I do and maybe see something from a different perspective that I wouldn't have thought about on my own. But I never get that and I can't get that as long as you only care about who's right. I really don't give a shit... In all honestly I'm probably only right about 10% of the time cause of my fucked up memory but why is that even so important to you in the first place? It's not a competition. There's no score board. Being right doesn't matter.

You mean like you're doing right now? I mean the reality of things is that I'm a person with a trauma disorder... Dissociative amnesia is one of the symptoms of that disorder. You have assumed things about me in the past before I publicly came out about that condition. You know what they say about assumptions don't you? They make an ass out of you and me. You assumed I don't know what I'm talking about rather than considering the possibility that I just forgot or misremembered. Even after it's come out that my memory is complete shit you still choose to assume I'm uninformed. There's a difference between forgetting and never having the knowledge in the first place. Even if your assumptions were correct there is a polite way to point out a person's mistakes without putting them down in the process and your way ain't it. Your posts are constantly worded in such a way to make yourself look superior to the other person by putting them down. That is called an insult. Regardless of who's right or wrong... you can correct a person's mistakes without making them feel like crap. And you should really be more careful how you talk to people because you never know what kind of shit they could be dealing with outside of this forum.

I thought discussing something I enjoy would be an escape from real life shit but the only difference between real life and this forum... is at least here I can actually defend myself. The most you can do to me is hurt my feelings... in real life I have to avoid being physically hurt cause my fucked up nervous system can't recover from it. I can get over being insulted but I can't get other being punched in the chest by some ass hole for no fucking reason... The pandemic wasn't much of a change for us since we already avoid people in the first place. Someone says something I know is wrong... I just let them be wrong to avoid any form of confrontation what so ever... and some times even without doing or saying anything when I'm just minding my own business I still have bullies who like to pick fights with me. So you hide behind your excuses all you want. I know if we ever in real life you'd probably still start a fight.

One time in high school this kid I didn't even know randomly came up to me and said "I don't like you, I don't have a reason... I just don't" Seems stupid to me to dislike someone for no reason... but at least he was honest about it instead of making up a reason to justify it.

11. SpiderMunky

SpiderMunky Half-spider, half-munky

He's better in the first season as a looming threat.

Afterwards? He's kinda boring. He's easily the weak link of the Decepticon cast.

12. JazzbandTFW2005

JazzbandTFW2005 Well-Known Member

Favorite Megatron, from my favorite series!

On a purely aesthetic level, the twin copter is the definitive choice for a G1-derived, non-pistol Megatron alt mode imo. Never cared much for the tank, the copter is just much more unique to set him apart from other decepticons while also unifying them under an "air superiority" theme(Also, "Transform and Rise Up"? How had no other fiction come up with that one yet? Classic).

As others have said, Burton just does a terrific performance and easily distinguishes himself from the past(and future) Welker/Kaye iterations. On a slightly separate note, like other ppl's headcanons I also tend to think of Ani-Meg's voice as the voice for the previous IDW Tron as well. Just a completely different effect on the character while still maintaining what matters in a ruthless galactic warlord. Also, he gave us "GET AWAY FROM MY WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION", which is just one of my favorite lines in Transformers period.

And of course, taking out Scream frame-1 puts him at the top. Even if Prime gave an in-story/character reason for why Megatron kept his would-be assassin/usurper around, it still became mind-boggling after a while. Animated just getting it out of the way early while still finding other ways of keeping Scream in the story with other opportunities to keep the dynamic around and later have him back in with the Cons for a time(before wearing out his welcome) just made more sense and was more interesting.

Megatron's relationship with Prime is also unique to Animated, as there is none already established, because Megatron *doesn't even know who Prime is*. Having Prime be an inexperienced captain merely within the ranks of the autobots(not unlike beast wars) while Megatron is as powerful and commanding as most other iterations makes the latter all-the-more imposing and threatening, which makes it more satisfying when he finally so much as learns Optimus's name and has to acknowledge him.

So yeah, all-in-all, he's kind of the best one :cool: 

• Like Like x 12
  13. AutobotMaximillian

AutobotMaximillian Member

He's one of the best Megatrons and is one of my top 3 Megatrons, alongside TFP Megatron and BW Megatron.

14. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    The best Megatron since the Beast Era and easily the best Decepticon Megatron to this point. Even reduced to a head he was still more of a threat than some others. Once fully restored I love how he didn't hesitate to kill Starscream on the spot for betraying him. Something other Megatrons should had done (Looks at G1 and TFP).

• Like Like x 6
  15. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Killing Starscream on the spot once he got a body again may just be this Megatron’s signature scene because it’s so powerful, brutal, and effective. It defied decades upon decades of letting traitors do what they want. BW Megs got a pass because treachery is a part of Predacon culture and nobody in his ranks ever had a real chance of overthrowing him like Animated Starscream or had a claim to being a better leader like Prime Starscream (yes, Prime Megs is still as dumb as tater tots and Prime Scream is pretty much a joke, but he still did the practical thing in Prime’s backstory and made an effective war machine in secret during Meg’s absence) besides Tarantulas, and he wasn’t interested in taking over command anyway.

It was so effective that when the trailers for ROTF rolled around showing Starscream fighting alongside Megs in the forest fight, it was downright weird to look at, after Animated Megs immediately kicked Starscream’s ass to the curb for his betrayal. Obviously a wholly different animal, ROTF, but it was just that effective in Animated that I didn’t want to see a Starscream working under Megs again.

So effective was it, that it was highly entertaining watching Megs stuck with Starscream during Season 3. First it was more of an annoyance to have Scream around as a diminutive head, but then once Scream got a body, Megs couldn’t afford to turn down the extra pair of hands given the limited resources he had, one of them being a big lug who was more interested in his feud with the class favorite. So it was really tense when Megs simply walked by Scream “ah but you think too small Starscream” instead of killing him on the spot again, because you KNOW he’s not stupid enough to let him walk free. And sure enough, he’s got a terrific scheme cooking and needs Starscream around for it to stir the pot and get Lugnut in position to be the birth mother for the Supremes. And once that’s done, he wrecks Starscream, not making sure he’s dead simply because of his hubris as a villain and having more important things.

I could sing the praises of Corey Burton for the millionth time and I will. He’s a brilliant combination of John Hurt and Tim Curry. So charming and menacing. And also so comedic. “WAIT” - when he told Lugnut to not POKE the Constructicons, “STOP STARING AT ME”, “Ohhh for Spark’s Sake…”

And I know Chris McFeely isn’t a professional voice actor, but he did this terrific dramatic reading of a scene in MTMTE when Megs did his heart to heart about his real motivation for his defection and all, and he basically did a take that was Corey’s Megatron voice. I think Chris did an amazing job and it solidified that Corey voice as IDW Megs. I know IDW Megs’ turn wasn’t popular and there’s a LOT of valid reasons why, but that’s still a big compliment that I adopted Corey’s voice as the voice I hear for another Megatron, by proxy of Chris’s take pulling from Corey. After all, if Chris, a casual fan and non-regular voice actor, can do that good, imagine what Corey could’ve done voicing him.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
    • Like Like x 3