Opinions on Best and worst construction material

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Maximus Danz, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Trying to achieve something

News Credits:
    I have been thinking about this a lot, but what do you guys think the best and worst kind of materials (or just general thoughts) the toys are built from. I'll tell a few of mine.

Gold and Swirly Metallic Plastic: For infamous reasons, we all know it is a bad material as it breaks itself over time.

Thermoplastics: It is what most TF's are made of and it works good, gets the job done. Most toys are made of it.

Translucent plastics: In my mind, they serve one purpose, light piping. Sadly, someone decides to use them as joints or hinges and that's how you get things like Siege Prowl mold, SS Beatle bee (mine's backpack is a mess), and the infamous animated Swindle.

PVC: It is good for tires for the fo-rubber feel, but if I correct, that is the same stuff that has been melting the plastic on the ROTF Bludgeons (I may be wrong, correct me on anything).

Nylon: I actually have no experience with this one, but I heard it was what Apeface is made of.

info: Plastic - Transformers Wiki

• Like Like x 2
  2. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 XYxInfinity

News Credits:
    Most recent as in the last 10 years in JP boxes, there is like this term ABS PVC materials in the box. The trouble is, speculation on my part Hb is scrimping on the mass of the materials.

Fyi, my JP Headmaster Windblade's thumb almost broke 2nd to her holding her samurai for like a few months in pose.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    Well pretty much everything you mentioned serves a different purpose so it's hard to rank them compared to each other.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Best construction material: steel.

Worst construction material: Jell-o.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    PVC can go straight to hell

• Like Like x 1
  6. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As the formulas (or recipes) differs from a series to another, so it's not really a case of materials, but which formulation they are using for any
    of the thermoplastics being used on a figure by figure basis.

Look at Siege figures, then Cyberverse for an example of these plastics:

Most of Siege figures are using flexible, softer plastics so it doesn't snap easily, and simply feels better, it tends to be a bit heavier by mass (I believe).
    This is close to plastics formulation form the older series from many years ago such as G2, Energon, Armada and other series.

Cyberverse is hard, more brittle type plastic, which would snap.
    A few examples are: Generations - Fall of Cybertron Bruticus, 30th Jetfire, and many others, including to an extent the TW, CW, and POTP, where the parts can snap.

Note that within all series, including the Bayverse movies ones, I've come across some figures that are either "flexible" or "hard" in an ad-hoc fashion. So the plastics used are not locked to any series, but individual figures and sets, but some series will be more one formulation than of the other.

7. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    Really hoping this turns into like five people insisting that they can tell how cheap a material is by running their fingers over it, but all furiously disagreeing about which toys are obviously made from cheap material

• Like Like x 1
  8. allew

allew Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Obviously brick beats out straws and and sticks ;) 

brick.jpg

51Vr87CVEZL._SL1001_.jpg

stick.jpg

• Like Like x 1