Minor/Repaint: Opinions needed - Alt Roadbuster

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by icanfly, Dec 1, 2007.

1. icanfly

icanfly Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hey,

First up, Ive got no pics to explain what im doing here, not yet anyway. I kinda dont know where my camera is at the moment :) 

As ive bought movie rescue Ratchet and converted him to fit in with the alternators, I needed something to do with the original movie Ratchet. He will become Roadbuster. I wanna swap the hands to the alt jeep hands, have removed the cage from the roof and the bullbar so now the alt mode is just a rugged hummer. Weapons will be mounted on the roof. Now the bits I want an opinion are 1 - how would an alt Hotrod head suit? probably repainted to a degree. I also want to mount mini rockets inside the axe so that it folds out into a missle array. Finally I was considering painting the top half of the vehicle into a darker camo green so it was 2 toned
    How does this sound to you guys?

Regards

JL

EDIT - Here are some pics

Vehicle - Military decals and weapons to be added
    [​IMG]

Robot mode
    [​IMG]

with his buddies Ratchet and Inferno
    [​IMG]

watcha think?
    JL

2. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    whatever it is, showing some love to almost obscure early g1 character = good.

3. Sentinel Pax

Sentinel Pax Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how that head would work...but then, I can't think of a different head that would suit it any more than that, either. That said, Roadbuster rules!

4. icanfly

Ebay:
    Yeah Ive got a Springer coming to me and have plans to do Whirl too out of a Mustang

Regards

JL

5. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hit dogs holler

On a personal level, I feel that Roadbuster shouldn't get an Alt until someone can make him into the General Lee. On the other hand, if you *have* to do it :D , might I suggest a KP Autrooper head? It's got the right general lines, although it's not as blocky. It almost looks like a "movie" Roadbuster head.

-hx, of course, if you don't have one of those lying around, I can't help you.

6. icanfly

Ebay:
    Ive pretty much decided to use the roddy head, painted in a dark green, which will be the same colour as the roof. Also planned to put some missle turrets and big anti-aircraft gun on the Hummer roof too

JL

7. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

The Roddy head could work. It has the same wide, flattened shape and "ear" structures as Roadbuster, even if it has a humanoid face instead of a faceplate. If you paint Roddy's visor blue-green, and keep it lowered, it will definitely have a Roadbuster feeling.

Post pics when you're done! This is a neat idea, and could come out really cool! :) 

8. icanfly

Ebay:
    Thats exactly what I was thinking. Im really starting to look forward to doing this guy now

JL

9. icanfly

Ebay:
    Pics added to original post

JL

10. skidsinlimbo

skidsinlimbo Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the finished product with the right paint and some work around the mouth the head should work nicely.

I can also recommend some extra stowage like the model kit below,

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=IT0249

Italeri and Academy do some 1:35 tank acessory kits that make good sources.

11. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Wow, that looks really great so far! Sure enough, that green visor sells it! :) 

12. icanfly

Ebay:
    New pic (still needs some work i admit):

[​IMG]

bot mode to come

JL

13. icanfly

Ebay:
    bot mode

[​IMG]

JL

14. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

you should attach the jeep tires if they fit. it looks like it can though. i never like the hard plastic tires on them. where did you get this head?

15. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    It'll be pretty sweet once you fix all the yellow spots showing through your paint.

16. icanfly

Ebay:
    His head is actually an alt Rodimus, but ive been yelled at on another forum for using that so im not telling anyone - SHHHH!!! :p 
    Id think about changing the tyres but 1) dont have any spare & 2) not sure how too

JL

17. icanfly

Ebay:
    Yeah, its amazing what a flash shows up isnt it. Not as obvious in real life, but they are still there

JL

18. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    easy. its actually addressed in the stickied kitbasher's resource thread too. get yourself a soldering iron or even a woodburner can work (a lot slower). touch it to that rivet pin that the tire is attached with for about 30 seconds. pull straight out on the tire. sometimes you may have to reapply heat for another 30 seconds, but more often than not it will pull right off. then just lay the new tire onto the peg and push the pin in. you don't always have to use heat to push the pins in, usually just mash it in, but you can use heat if you're careful.

19. icanfly

Ebay:
    hmm, ill think about that. Trying to get hold of a junker jeep for the hands, so wheels might be available too
    Ta Red

JL

20. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

i just received an alt rodimus from my wife on xmas. she would KILL me if i did that.

about the flash. i was wondering about the same exact thing when i did classics nemesis prime. a blue tinge around some parts are showing. i'm learning as i go. you should see my silverstreak/soundwave. a real test ground for different sorts of paint. :D  i gave him away to a friend.

about the tires. i have spare rims from alt rollbar and rubber tires from alt prime. i'll gladly give them to you but you're all the way in australia. no rollbar rubber tires though since i will use it on motormaster. rollbars cheap i just picked another one up today. i'll try again pop the tires out this weekend to see if i can get the rollbar rims from it and give you prime's rims and tires. just think of a way for me to send it. don't know how much it would cost.

i've seen a lot of people redoing them as alt but giving them real looking tires would just make them look like scale model alt cars