Opinions and Advice...G1 content

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Autobot Meister, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Autobot Meister

Autobot Meister Well-Known Member

Hi,
    This is the deal. I have around 10 G1 figures from my childhood and 15 more that i purchsed from the net. I was disappointed almost 100% of the time with their condition(stickers/loose joints). I can't afford MISB. So, should i complete my collection('84/'85 only) with MISB reissues? Is it the same feeling? Will I end up being disappointed with my collection in the end? What do you guys think?

2. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love reissues, but I don't keep them sealed, applying the stickers is fun lol

3. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    In some ways, I prefer reissues, and I am an original collector from '84 to present day. I feel they're exactly the same, it is the toy I like and the way it transforms, not some sense of elitism or fiscal worth. Having said that, I totally understand guys who collect MISB, but I like to hold the toy and transform it, and for that, I feel reissues win.

4. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I have been doing a lot of G1 collecting as of late. Just go with reissues and you will be fine. I feel like you luck out into mint G1s more then anything. But KOs and Reissues are great substitutes and minty fresh.

I hear though that some times you luck into great G1s. I haven't had the luck, all the great ones I see tend to go for like $60-$100.

5. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    I use reissues to fill in all of the G1 gaps in my collection. There is nothing "wrong" with collecting them since they are official product.

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I don't understand what it is some people have against reissues. They're a godsend - a means for us who missed the boat to complete the collections we never got to complete all those years ago.

Buy them already.

7. JukeOutlander

JukeOutlander Combat Antihero

News Credits:
    I read some where that they think KO's will decrease the value of the original (I think that was in the news about KO Fort Max) so they prolly they think the same of reissues? I doubt that it affects vintage items. Encore items are win Imho.

8. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I love the reissue!!

I'm not payin' full price, collectors prices, for ol' junkers.

My reissues are minty, tight and shiny. LOVE 'EM!

9. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    You can go with reissues. But if you're picky like I am and want originals, good condition ones are not that hard to find. You just need to ask the seller about all aspects before you make the move. Ask for specifics about Joints, stickers, chrome, discoloration and yellowing. If the seller is vague or does not cooperate, just hold off for another one.

10. cloudlessday

cloudlessday Member

No offense. I think it's like marrying a divorsed lady. If you are in desperate need of someone's dedication and love and company, it works, just drop your delicacy of feelings.

11. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

I only collect G1 - those are what I like - and I have a mixture of actual originals and reissues. My originals are not in mint condition and for a couple of them even 'good' condition would be a stretch so I have decided to get reissues of various types. I now have a few reissued figures and am happy with them all. I will probably concentrate on just the reissues from now one because they are so much more affordable. I like to touch and play with mine so I never keep them in the box. I'm not collecting as an investment, but for enjoyment.

12. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :lol 
    wait, what?

On topic: I just received reissue Rodimus Prime, and yes it IS the same feeling. In fact the feeling is better because you don't have that nagging voice in the back of your mind saying "you just spent X amount of $ on an OLD TOY", or "wow this is in horrible condition".
    Encore and reissues are wonderful.

13. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    Listen to this man.

I understand the appeal, and why some people like reissues, but I personally don't. Unless they are of a repaint type, like eHobby stuff, or some sort of cool retool. For example, I have a few Optimus Prime reissues, like the New Years Prime with blue windows, 25th, Bathing Ape, Pepsi, etc... But they are in my collection because they are variants. But simple reissues, like Encore, I stay away from. There are too many good condition vintage examples out there to settle for a reissue. They might cost a few bucks more, but usually not much. If I were the type to "play" with my toys, Id buy reissues for sure, but to me there's just something more gratifying about owning a clean original vintage piece.

Besides, contrary to popular belief, reissues are not the same quality as originals. Especially the Encore line. The molds are not as crisp, and plastic to paint colors never match well. Side by side, you can tell the difference. I have purchased quite a few Dreamwave and Encore, but use them for my articulated, and repaint customs. (look through my collection thread. the customs are almost all reissues.) If you had to have a new reissue, Id say get the book style Dreamwave, they're much better than Encore. Even the 2002 Hasbro TRU reissues are decent, as they are the same molds as the Dreamwave besides the enlarged missiles, and lack of chrome weapons on some releases.

14. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

all reissues for me. :) 

15. clintfca

clintfca G1 Inspired

News Credits:
    I collected the Dreamwave reissues back in the day when they just came out. Recently I started to collect original G1 MISB figures that have been released as a Masterpiece because I like the G1 boxed look (some pics in my collection thread). For me, I don't intend on ever opening them as I consider them a piece of history that nobody's ever opened or touched.

But if you want G1 figures to display/play with, I'd say save the cash and get reissues. Get the Japanese encores over the TRU releases if possible since none of the weapons have been modified for child safety reasons (ex: The Seekers missiles, etc).

16. AMG

AMG Old School

I see nothing wrong with it. I have a couple of reissues and they're nice.

Not for me.

17. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a few re issues and they are somehwhat good. Prowl is great but skids has splay on his fender plastic. Both Commerative re issues.

Starscream has painted on wing symbols and spaced out wings from the body as well as a mis sized noze cone and wrong color canopy. I'm going to buy an original. I like the reissue but I want it the way I had it as a kid. He's an encore.

Encore ratchet and Ironhide are proof that odd molds never die. These are the most solid reissues I have. No faults aside from the original ones of 84.

18. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    Can we stop calling them Dreamwave reissues, I believe the correct geek vernacular is Takara Book reissues. Anything Dreamwave leaves a bad taste in my mouth as they screwed over collectors (War Within 3 #4-6), owed money to some of my friends who worked for them and didn't get paid for the artwork on these (they were so keen to get licenses, any licenses, that they paid over the odds and signed away their rights to the work).

The Takara Book Reissues are so nice, don't denigrate them with the term Dreamwave, which in Tf fandom is somewhat of a pejorative.

19. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    Sorry for the pedantic rant, but I think the point stands.

On topic: The reason I love reissues.

I never considered Sky Lynx worth the money,and never had the will to check if they worked/ how yellow they were etc... Encore Sky Lynx comes along. Bang! Sold.

Predaking. Circa 2000 I placed a $1,000 bid on a MIB Predaking giftset, and I got outbid! A few years later the reissue came out, and with the diecast parts too! How happy was I. Of course, a few years later the same thing happened after I'd spent the cash on an original Star Convoy. Gotta take the rough with the smooth.

20. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    This is where I align. While that is the case, I don't have anything "against" reissues, though, and I own a few. I can proudly say that my G1 collection from 1984-1990 is completely original [save for the labels].

Regardless of all of this, you have to determine what will make you happy with your collection. Also, with that in mind, identify your goals. If you have 25 G1 figures and you're not happy with them, you can always sell and/or trade for something else. Is "mib" or "misb" what's really going to make you happy with your collection? Do you want graded pieces (judging from the tenor of your post, I'd say "no" at least due to price?). If you truly want a G1 collection from '84-85 only and you want "loose/mint/complete", then go for that.