Opinion on the tf community.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tfcollector97, Jun 18, 2020.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I've seen that happen with Transformers as well

I've seen that with Star Wars as well.

Not to suggest that I haven't seen what you're talking about just saying there's good and bad in every community it all depends on who you talk to.

You know there's literally a thread here called "Cyberverse is garbage" so yeah that does happen. Not very often most people actually explain why they don't like things but there's the occasional "This is garbage" with no additional context or explanation that pops up every so often.

I mean I think the majority of Star Wars fans actually look through the movies and judge. There's only a few... mainly with the sequel trilogy who seem to prejudge the movies without actually seeing them. I can usually tell they haven't actually seen the movies because they're the ones who hate Rey and praise Luke despite the fact that they have the exact same character arc. Plus Anakin is presented in the prequels as a literal Jesus analog complete with a virgin mother magically getting pregnant with no father... and some how Rey is still a Mary Sue but Anakin and Luke some how are not Gary Stus... I'm pretty sure having any force powers at all automatically makes everyone in a Gary Stu/Mary Sue so it's just a really dumb argument to ever make. They may claim it's not motivated by gender but it seems pretty obvious the only real difference between the protagonists is Rey is female.

There are other issues that the movies had and most people who've actually seen the movies address those problems rather than focusing entirely on the dumb "Rey is a Mary Sue" argument. The problem with Rey isn't really that she's over powered it's that her story mirrors Luke's almost exactly. Anakin and Luke are completely different people with totally different stories but Rey just appears to be following the story beats of the original trilogy only the Death Star is Starkiller Base, The Empire is the First Order, Obi-Wan is Han Solo, Yoda is Luke Skywalker, ect... ect... Not literally of course, they don't actually become other character they're just filling the same role that other characters played before.

Again I've seen Star Wars fans do that too... in fact I think Star Wars fans do that almost constantly because as much as the love Star Wars... they're constantly criticizing the movies. Some people I've seen criticize the Star Wars movies to the point of questioning if there even really fans cause they talk more about the issues than the stuff they actually like.

It's generally pretty hard to criticize something you enjoy... at least for me because generally I enjoy not having much if anything to criticize about. Usually have to LOOK for minor issues I wouldn't normally care about just because I've been challenged to criticize something I enjoy. If I enjoy something it means whatever issues it has aren't enough to ruin it for me but I'm still going to acknowledge the issues exist.

In fact all 9 of the main Star Wars movies are problematic in one way or another but I still enjoy them... some more than others...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper Least insane TF fan

News Credits:
    Eh could be a bit nicer.

3. Arrogant Arachnid

Arrogant Arachnid Banned

There's a lot of different people. Most of which are fine, but there are certain groups of people that are more on the interesting side.
    -The Geewunners (Who are usually also in their 30s and 40s and are less mature than people half their age)
    -The Bayverse defenders
    -The Bayverse haters
    -The Hasbro loyalists
    -The Twitter people
    -Gatekeepers
    I can keep going but that's the first ones that come up in my head.

Generalizing the TF community and Star Wars community is a pretty bad idea given that not everyone in these fandoms is bad and not everyone in these fandoms is good.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. herugrim

herugrim N/A

Ebay:
    Transformers community is one of the worst.

God forbid you don't think G1S1 is the be all end all of the franchise, or that you want something other than MP designs at different scales for every line. "Trukk not Kinky" went from a meme to the norm, and that bites.

And don't you dare do anything but hate the films. I've never seen such a one dimensional take from a fandom.

Even the comics. If you don't think Simon Furman is the greatest writer ever than good luck being critical of anything.

And nothing Hasbro does will ever be good enough until they are making 3rd party quality items at first party price. Because fanatics don't even understand basic economics.

This community is the worst and this is coming from a Sonic fan.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Arrogant Arachnid

Arrogant Arachnid Banned

Bit too pesimistic even for me but aight

• Like Like x 1
  6. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

It is pretty bad but from my experience the worst fandom is over on RoosterTeeth's web site... which there may actually now be some cross over with Transformers since they produced the Netflix series.

Why are they so bad... well in my first freaking day of being on their forum there were basically multiple posts from people saying various degrees of "HOW DARE YOU QUOTE YOUR FAVORITE LINES FROM RED VS BLUE IN A THREAD TOPIC TITLED POST YOUR FAVORITE LINES FROM RED VS BLUE HERE!" I wrote that as a joke here, they were completely serious about that and their actual comments where a lot more rude than that.

7. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Can't let that go unchallenged - it's too close to the "refutation" I get when I say I don't like IDW. While I like Animated, it has its flaws. It's good, but it's no masterpiece.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Arrogant Arachnid

Arrogant Arachnid Banned

I quite like IDW, MTMTE is a great old time, but holy fuck is some of it complete dog shit.
    And yeah those are the kind of responses I imagine people would unironically make.

• Like Like x 1
  9. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    I don't even want current MP designs for MP figuresAnd my favorites are Masterforce and RiD01.

The films kind of earned their hate, though, since Bay refused to listen to people's complaints. There's no reason the formula that worked in the first movie couldn't have be retained while still giving the Transformers actual characterization. ANd the first movie DID work.

Best comic writer is tossup between Chris Claremont and James Robinson. For TF comics, it's Bob Budiansky. Furman was good, but he was just playing in the sandbox Bob made. And Furman has problems with pacing - he'll drag a story out and not leave himself enough page space to handle the conclusion properly.

Yeah, I've seen that. Personally, I'm impressed at what Hasbro can do given they have to deal with safety laws, set price points, etc. Let third parties work within those restraints and I bet their product would look a lot like Hasbro's.

No, it's far from the worst. Have you seen the Doctor Who fandom lately?

Only some of it? I made multiple attempts to get into IDW, and came away liking it less every time. One reason I'm rarely in the comics section here.

I hated it when the toys were showing a lot of IDW influence, and there are a few people who didn't like that. My first couple of blocked users here.

10. Magnum Dongus

Magnum Dongus @DiddlyDipstick on Twitter

That’s far from the truth. People like G1, but I find it hard to believe that the vast majority of people think the Sunbow cartoon is a flawless masterpiece. Have you not heard the loads of people saying they’re tired of nothing but ‘84-‘86 G1 characters?

Trukk not munky is the norm now? That’s odd, I could have sworn I’ve heard people for the longest time complaining about how Beast Wars is way too underrepresented.

And while I’d say that disliking the films is the more sensible view, I have never heard anyone attempt to say that there is literally nothing at all about the films that in any way has a single positive element. There is a lot of stuff from the movies that I think are actually pretty cool; it’s just that for the most part, the movies are poorly made and very bad representations of the franchise.

As for Simon Furman, isn’t the general consensus that Regeneration One sucked? I haven’t read it, but I know that that is one of his more recent works and most people didn’t like it.

• Like Like x 4
  11. mn_128875

mn_128875 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Same here I love animated but the fans make it out to be way better than it it actually is

• Like Like x 5
  12. Arrogant Arachnid

Arrogant Arachnid Banned

I liked a lot of the characters so that made me finish it, infact it was this comic that made Rodimus my favourite Autobot. Swindle, Megatron, Tailgate, Cyclonus, Ultra Magnus, the DJD, Nautica and a bunch of other characters I don't feel like mentioning I really enjoyed. But the need to over explain everything, total lack of pacing sometimes, weird story ideas that I didn't care for like the duplicate Lost Light or just weird choices like having Megatron make a kick ass comeback at the ending, only for him to send the rest of the Lost Lighters back to cover instead of just letting an epic battle to happen?

I found the artstyle so unappealing. The chins, Optimus' lips, the weird proportions and the color palet weren't for me.

13. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I literally just had that same argument with someone in another thread... Might still be going on, I'm not sure. But that was literally what started it is someone calling Animated a flawless Masterpiece and then I started pointing out all the flaws. I also clearly stated in my first post that I actually like the series but some where along the line they either didn't read that or forgot that fact cause now they seem to think I hate the show.

It's not a bad series. I like the show. Some of my favorite characters (Blitzwing, Wreck-Gar, Shockwave/Longarm Prime, Meltdown) are from that series... but it's not by any means a perfect masterpiece and I'm not above pointing out the various flaws in something I like. None of the flaws are "series breaking" as the other person put it cause if they were I wouldn't like the show as much as I do. But just because they don't ruin the series doesn't mean they don't still exist.

A flaw is a flaw no matter how small...

The argument also came about because they were comparing it with Beast Wars and I still haven't heard one thing from them about why Beast Wars is supposedly worse than Animated.

Both great shows... both have their share of flaws... but I don't see how Beast Wars is the worst of the two... But they're apparently more interested in pretending the flaws of Animated don't exist then explaining what their problem with Beast Wars is.

• Like Like x 1
  14. JomasterII

JomasterII The Space Consultant from Jolo

News Credits:
    Lots of petulant whiny manchildren in the fandom.
    I'll wait for the OSKO of it, personally.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Noble1skull

Noble1skull Tra nsforme rs

We seem pretty good. I haven't seen alot of really negative fans, so for me I think we're a good enough community. Some people try to force opinions onto others, which is always annoying, but those kinds of people are very rare from what I've seen.

16. Shady boi

Shady boi Banned

Ebay:
    I love this community but i have seen an instance where a G-whiner put some dudes credit card number, address, social security number, and Ip just because they said g1 was overrated.

17. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wait. What?

• Like Like x 1
  18. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    #doubt

• Like Like x 1
  19. Shady boi

Shady boi Banned