Opinion on the tf community.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tfcollector97, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Tfcollector97

Tfcollector97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    How do you feel about the tf community/fandom

It is one of if not the most nicest community I’ve been in I’ve seen communities like the Star Wars community go to war over one movie this community just calls a movie bad or good and moves on and I can say it has good taste there are people here that don’t just look at a piece of media and calls it garbage they actually look through it to the judge and people here who can actually criticize a show or movie they enjoy I say I enjoy it here.

• Like Like x 1
  2. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    Some people are mean, but most people are pretty cool. It's not a bad community by any stretch, I feel.

• Like Like x 19
  3. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This thread has been done to death, multiple times, so I don't expect this one to have longevity.

I'll bite, though.

The fandom is a mixed bag. We have our good moments, we have our bad moments. People cite other fandoms as being toxic and pushing an agenda and so on and so forth, but we're all too close to it to see that we're in the same boat as they are. I speak from experience because I've been both a positive member in the community, as well as a pain in the butt. We all have at one time or another, and the most boisterous among us are the most vocal. I can own up to my mistakes.

I've seen incredible kindnesses, I've seen incredible animosity, I've seen smack dab right in the middle.

Part of what makes us just as toxic, if not worse, is how we handle change. Let's take Star Wars, for example...

They sort of have a right to be angry. For the longest time it was a certain family and at times a specific person that the story centered around. The story was more or less done and was just being merchandised to death, but it was all tied up in a neat little bow. Now, a new character has taken control of the path and changed a good bit of things and made it clear that what the fans had embraced is no longer there.

That not only alienates them, it hurts them. All that time, all that money, all that passion being told "you don't matter, this does" is a kick in the nuts. (Me, personally, I enjoyed something about all the films and feel the Skywalker story ended on a good note, but I can't get into it without violating some of the rules, so I'll say no more and absolutely will not respond to anything about it to prevent rule breakage. That said, I do see what people are complaining about.)

Now, us... I've been a fan of both G1 and Bayverse, I've also hated both, so I've seen behind the curtain on both sides. We're far more awful in the SW fan department than they are.

Examples:
    -The gimmick of the series is transformation. We're not really adaptable. Geewunners, such as myself, initially balked at the changes the Bayverse brought, and a war ensued on all the boards, groups, etc. (Then some of us, myself included, switched and started hating what came before... Irrationally, thus further causing strife.)

-Everyone thinks they're right, almost no one's willing to admit someone else might be. (I had to learn, over the years, when to admit I'm wrong and it's freeing. I learn, I get humbled, I grow.) Too many know it all's who aren't brought down a peg, who need to be. Instead, we feed their egos so when they do go off the rails, nothing is said and nothing is done, and it causes problems. We're all to blame there. We enable, we do nothing, we take no action, and we want to be liked, so we look away when a know it all is running their mouth and mocking another poster/fan. That adds to the negativity.

-We get too defensive and take personal offense to something that isn't actually offensive. (And also offend, needlessly, sometimes.) We need to remember we're fighting over toys. We're fighting over the cartoon that was made to sell those toys. That's a sobering thought. People will fight this and get angry, but if they take a second, catch their breath and really think about it... They'll see it's actually factual. We attack each other over toys, over cartoons, and that's not hyperbole and it's not a joke that's the actual truth! "I think this figure sucks." "F u, I think YOU suck!" I've actually seen that exact/specific fight! That's never okay, it's never right. Never!

-The movies are creatively bankrupt and offensive, but... They are another take/alternate universe that is aimed at an audience, and Transformers has something for everyone. We don't seem to be able to process this. The Bayverse will always have fans, as well as detractors, but its existence shouldn't be war fodder. Us Geewunners get too passionate and overheated about this stuff, we alienate, we fight. That's hard on newcomers and movie fans. They don't understand what they did wrong. (Nothing. They did nothing wrong.) It's when the movie fans act like their stuff is better, that it's the end all/be all of Transformers, that it's not up for criticism of any kind, that it's somehow infallible is the problem. Some Geewunners do the same thing, but more often than not they see the flaws and admit them. (It's hollow, it's just a vehicle to sell toys, it's camp, it's silly, etc.)

-The two camps tend to forget all the fans caught in the middle. (Car Robots/RID 2001, The Unicron Trilogy, all four of those lines kept Transformers alive between the end of G1/Beast Wars/Beast Machines and the Bayverse. If not for those four lines, we might've had another Action Masters period where the line died out and we'd be twiddling our thumbs. Those toys, those fans, deserve a revisit and a thank you to the people who paid to keep the line alive for the rest of us.)

On the plus side...

-We're extremely welcoming to new members of the board. We're generally really kind to new fans when they come on board. (Until one of us finds offense with something they said...) Well, except during the movies...we were pretty dang mean and cruel during that time.

-I've seen fans come together and pool money for the less fortunate and sick among us. Whether it's a fellow fan, their kid(s), a member in their neighborhood, they find a way to group people together and say "Hey, c'mon guys, we can help. Just donate a buck or something." (Yes, I know SW fans have the 501st. Not every part of fandoms are awful.)

-I've seen artists be embraced and take their fan-works become legit art and lead to real work. We should build more people up instead of tearing them down. We could be the change in someone's life, and in a fandom about transforming beings, I can't think of something more apt than that.

We're not the worst, but we're not really much better than others. We need to take a sobering look at ourselves and admit our negatives so we can build up our positives.

• Like Like x 22
  4. Galvatross

Galvatross Dreklord of Ogremarr Veteran

The Transfandom: Beyond Shrektastic. Beyond Drek. Beyond your most ogre-the-top fan fiction.

Most people are fine. They live and let live. Some are jerks who think their opinions are facts or that others aren't "true fans" for liking what they like. The problem with any kind of argument of that nature, in addition to being pompous, is that they can easily be reversed.

I think a variety of opinions and philosophies regarding Transformers is important for a healthy fandom. The goal shouldn't be unity, but accepting the differences with grace.

• Like Like x 9
  5. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some are bad some are good

• Like Like x 6
  6. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    Personally I've never liked the idea of "fandom" because of the type of thinking it brings to the table. I guess you could argue a specific website like TFW has a community because you do see the same people over and over and can get to know them.

This post was going to be a lot longer but immediately after I finished that last sentence I could feel a little of my soul dying at the thought of writing the gigantic essay I had planned, lol. Suffice to say "I don't like fandoms" and leave it at that.

• Like Like x 12
  7. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I'll say that we are a "passionate" group.

• Like Like x 7
  8. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

It's great. It has so many splits and leanings and fragmentation that everyone can find an echo chamber that suits them the best!

• Like Like x 6
  9. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been in a lot of forums, but true that this one tends to be fairly civil...

It is a medium that split between the fiction and the toys, so you have a wide range of fans, and while many disagree of some items, most can find a common ground between them.

Some are going to be vicious and tend to be adamant in arguing some things to the level that it's not healthy, but that's the same on all forums.

I only started using the ignore feature a few months ago as at some point, the level of negativity from some members isn't worth the grief.

Myself, I try to be open, some items gets me a bit more riled up than others (especially when people debate fictional items like they are "real" and I try to make them separate fiction from reality, science vs fiction), but overall, I try to help other members, I try to bring fresh ideas and to have fun with it.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Moos Crew

Moos Crew I make stuff

Overall supportive/nice with a few jerks here and there, like most of humanity.

• Like Like x 3
  11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    The good outweighs the bad, but any massive assembly of people from so many walks of life is going to have conflict. I've seen worse, and I've seen better. It's never a fandom I felt ashamed of or alienated from, and it's not hard to find yourself in the presence of like-minded and civil individuals these days.

• Like Like x 10
  12. ErickCruz

ErickCruz Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I've only been a part of this community for a couple years now, and the word I'd use, and to quote Marty McFly in Back to the Future, "educational".
    People are quick to point out.... anything. Including in this very thread where someone said this thread has been done already, well, i haven't seen one like this before, clearly someone has a question they've never seen asked, otherwise they wouldn't have opened a thread about it, so just be cool and respond, let moderators handle/merge/close a thread.

Like all fandoms you have your mixed bag, I can be nice but also a d$#k if someone is taking an attitude with me, but for the most part every community will be welcoming and cool.
    I can't speak for all TF forums, but at least on this one we don't have outright trolls. And coming from comic book message boards for the past couple decades, it's a nice knowing that conversations in this place will be 99.9% respectful

• Like Like x 3
  13. Subdurmal

Subdurmal Well-Known Member

For the most part it's a pretty good bunch. There are some who take it way too seriously though.

I just like fiddling with my bots.

• Like Like x 5
  14. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really? don't see it.. must be someone I have on ignore... hehehe... that kinda explains why they are on my "list".

Ignore button, it works!

...returning to the shadows....

• Like Like x 2
  15. Tetratron

Tetratron Well-Known Member

All fandoms are toxic to some degree or another but from I'd seen I'd say the TF fandom is a lesser offender when it comes to the usual things you see in other fandoms (Star Wars, Star Trek, etc). Maybe it's because the franchise is rather niche and also fairly fragmented among the different incarnations you can pick and chose what TF content you engage in.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Nemesis Scar

Nemesis Scar Combatrona a'den mhi, Vode An!

Tumblr:
    Awful. Absolute dogshit. The biggest pack of brainlets you could find.

17. Cyberbot8460

Cyberbot8460 Waiting for Hasbro to let TRIGGER make a TF anime.

Google+:
    YouTube:
    There are some divides here and there (e.g. Bayverse vs G1, MP vs CHUG, IDW vs Marvel) but the fans are chill. Overall, I'd say it's nice. Totally not as bad as the Star Wars fandom. The Star Wars fanbase is pure f***ing chaos.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Furnace

Furnace Ant-droid at a picnic

We’ve got our ups and downs, but overall, I’d say we’re one of the best fandoms out there.

• Like Like x 1
  19. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    The only issue I have with this fandom, which is also the problem I have with ANY other fandom, is the way the herd tries to railroad people into groupthink. Personal preferences run counter to popular consensus? It WILL be remarked upon, right to the edge of harassment without crossing over.

• Like Like x 4
  20. SuperRock7

SuperRock7 Out of money and ideas

News Credits:
    Currently stuck between a rock and a hard place
    I always viewed it as more of a community, it’s pretty chaotic, but in a good way.

• Like Like x 1