OPINION ON MUDFLAP AND SKIDS?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by BayverseBestVerse, Apr 5, 2020.

1. BayverseBestVerse

BayverseBestVerse Active Member

Anyone else love those two robots in ROTF? I watch ROTF at least once a week and the twins are one of my favourite parts. It’s so sad they werent in DOTM and I hope they make a return in TF6. Me and my friends in the neighbourhood would definitely go to cinemas just to watch them. I love their designs so much and they’re some of my favourite characters. The writing was so good the jokes always crack me up.

F948EC94-654A-4908-A39D-150F8A55ABF8.jpeg

This scene was definitely one of the best in the franchise. A classic. I wonder why they weren’t in DOTM. Did you enjoy their personality? I did for sure.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I legitimately can't tell if your account and this post is satire. 2020 is fucking weird.

• Like Like x 22
  3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Honestly I didn't think there really was a problem with these two. Sure, they were essentially dumb joke robots with a lot of context cut out from them (namely the idea that they're so mishapen due to their spark being split at the point of creation, or that's the impression I get) but in terms of aping American youth trying to be gangsta they at least had consistent characterization.

• Like Like x 14
  4. Noble1skull

Noble1skull Tra nsforme rs

Please no

• Like Like x 7
  5. Nathanoraptor

Nathanoraptor Well-Known Member

Yeah - I find the characters annoying, but not offensive. I also do not believe that the characterisation was intended to be racist - Mudflap's voice actor (Reno Wilson) is black and was apparently surprised to learn that the portrayal was perceived as racist. Having said that, though, I do understand why people were offended by the characters - and they have every right to be so. According to Tom Kenny and Reno Wilson, Skids and Mudflap talk like that because they're "wannabe gangster-types" who picked up gangsta culture from the Internet and fell in love with it... the problem is, there's no indication in the film itself that's the case and there was basically no way for audiences to differentiate the portrayal from an actual caricature of inner-city African-Americans.

Having said that, they do at least fulfil their function as dumb joke robots and do get a good fight scene against Devastator.

• Like Like x 9
  6. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

Rather than the Twins disappearing at the end of the movie, Devastator should have used his, well, parts as a dual Cybertronian mace for some Autobot-wrecking action and taken Skids and Mudflap out that way!

• Like Like x 7
  7. Nathanoraptor

Nathanoraptor Well-Known Member

Yes, somehow, Skids and Mudflap being hit by Devastator's testicles would actually be genuinely amusing....

• Like Like x 8
  8. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

9. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi woke among sussy soyjak

News Credits:
    I wish Bay kept their part from the DOTM comics. They were a terrible pair of morons, but man they had quite the soldier's way to go.

• Like Like x 4
  10. zark225

zark225 Talon Productions on YouTube

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    I never had a problem with them and thought the complaints about them were waaaaaaayyyyyy overblown.

• Like Like x 5
  11. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    I don't really like them. Too goofy and kind of insensitive. I think it was smart to drop them.

I think it would be cool to see their designs (below the neck) reused someday, with new kibble. I'm kind of surprised they haven't, honestly. They'd make fine base models for smaller car Transformers.

12. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Destron Enforcer

News Credits:
    They weren't racist characters and 'professional critics' are (and continue to be) uninformed and lazy when doing their job. Stereotypes? Sure, but stereotypes =/= racism.

You can't be racist by mistake as the word means bigoted with the intention of being bigoted. When I first saw these designs I thought they resembled Gremlins / Mogwai more than anything else, and apparently the Ebonics / lingo bit was something Tom Kenny and Reno Wilson came up with themselves.

The movie has plenty of legit flaws, yet idiots were content on clinging to one that wasn't actually true. Often people point to the scene where they say they don't read much as the smoking gun, when the context is often left out: Bee couldn't read that language either, if he wasn't mute he probably would've said so. Just like today people 10 or so years ago were mostly over sensitive and looking for things to be offended about and feel that rush of righteous indignation.

I hate the Bay movies, and yet I'm not someone who will make up reasons to hate something. :^)

Honestly even if they were the most racist characters ever and they were made with the intention to offend I'd still laugh and tell the offended to grow a thicker hide, and maybe get some real problems in their life since they have time to be offended by fictional characters. :lolol  :lolol 

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 17
  13. Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper Least insane TF fan

News Credits:
    .-. I'm confused.

14. BayverseBestVerse

BayverseBestVerse Active Member

Why? Do you like Skids and Mudflap? Do you not remember them?

15. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I didn't like them. I think the movie would have been better without them.

• Like Like x 3
  16. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I enjoyed them and their humor, and wish the idea of them being racist wasn't inflated.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I saw nothing racist or black about them. They looked more like annoying cutesy bunny characters to me than anything else. ROTF would have been better without them. But that's true for a lot of TF characters in the movies :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  18. Markatron

Markatron MarKreations Studios

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    His name and icon by itself is a bit much to believe...

19. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I forget which one, but one of the twins made me legit laugh out loud ... when he got eaten by Devastator.

A second later I was like, “aww! Come on, don’t ruin the punchline,” when he survived.

• Like Like x 3
  20. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I kinda liked them