Opinion: Chrono Trigger without a guide?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Predakwon, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm on a retro kick and playing Chrono Trigger again on my DS. I really like this game and its side quests.

Now my questions to folk who played this, did you have to play it with a guide? I personally can't imagine playing without one, especially for the side quests, but I can kinda see it being done.

If you did it without one, how long did it take roughly?

(This conversation basically started when a coworker and I were discussing how all games, esp RPGs, needed to be played with a guide these days. We're born in the late 70s).

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I got through it just fine without a guide, but I don't remember how long it took me the first time. I doubt you'll really need a guide unless you're trying to get all the hardest-to-get items or get every last alternate ending.

3. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    It's not like Earthbound. So, yes, you can play it sans guide. :) 

4. ma70er

ma70er HasTak/3P TF Collector, Gamer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    For a first playthrough, definitely play it without a guide. I don't remember exactly what my total playthrough was the 1st time on SNES, but it was somewhere around 30+. Have fun, don't let a guide ruin it for you by turning it into a completionist run.

5. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

79er here.

Bought it with my saved up lunch money. Nope no guide. Nope. Time just flew with me having so much fun.

If you haven't played it back then when it first came out, I doubt anyone can recreate the same magic it had.

Just play it with the guide. Don't really have time to find out things these days. Mortgage. Two kids going to school. Work. Wife. Planning. Bills. Etc.

6. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is the game that originated the "New Game+" mode, so if you ever feel like you might have missed out on something, you can always make a mental note of it and try for it again the next go around.

7. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    DON'T KILL HIM FROG!!

8. Predakwon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thx, just wanted opinions. Beat it for the 15th time this morning in the train to work. First time playing was on the DS though, not SNES so I was a bit older.

See the completionist aspect is a problem I have. Before Chrono Trigger I was playing Aria of Sorrow and Dawn repeatedly to get everything. :crazy: 

I initially played CT in 2008 using a guide sparingly. No side quests, but records show it took about 35hrs.

Now going through all the side quests trying to get all the items for the encyclopedia and 100% for the bestiary.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I was gonna say that some games are super strict- don't do something at a certain time and you miss out. Not only does Chrono Trigger typically not do that to you, but new game plus means you can just quickly play through again and do different things. I am pretty disappointed that no Final Fantasy ever adopted that.

A bit off topic- I hate when games have a new game+ mode only to increase the difficulty the second time around. That just defeats the purpose to me. Dark Souls and Bloodborne- looking your way!

10. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    That's the beauty of Chrono Trigger, play through it the first time on your own. Realize your actions have consequences. Play through it the second time to see everything you missed and could've done better and make it that way.

Favorite game of all time, got it on the SNES for a birthday, was a compelling reason why I bought a DS XL years later.

11. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    my first SNES playthrough was with out a guide. missed some stuff but not that much. you only really need a guide if you want to see all the endings.

12. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    X-2 and Lightning Returns have a New Game+ mode. I don't think any of the "main" Final Fantasy games do, however.

13. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I didn't play Lightning Returns but I do recall it vaguely in X-2. Only ever went through it once though. Makes sense for X-2 since it does cut you off from things.

Anyways, that's what made Chrono one of the best games for replaying. Chrono Cross didn't even let you get all 44 characters until your 3rd playthrough, so that was great to.

14. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Lightning Returns is similar. It's built with a Valkyrie Profile-esque time limit system, so unless you're playing the whole game by consulting a guide on how to do everything in the most time-optimal manner, you're probably going to miss out on stuff. Or quite possibly fail your main quest altogether as you run out the clock doing pointless stuff instead of keeping ahead of your countdown. So there's a soft reset at the "end" (either beating the game or running out of time, whichever comes first) and you can start all over with all your previous stats and gear intact.

15. ma70er

ma70er HasTak/3P TF Collector, Gamer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Haven't played CT in at least a decade. This thread is making me want to go through it again. At least I still remember to not kill ***** :ev: 

Need to track down the DS version with the added stuff.

16. Predakwon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just found out I don't have Magus No 195 on my bestiary. So I'll have to play the game again and beat him this time (surprisingly never did! Always passed on fighting).

Time is an issue for me these days, so currently using a guide. Like Seali said, kids and work eat up time at home so I have to play on my commute to work.

Get it! I love the DS version!

17. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    only thing that pisses me off about the ds port is frog not having the old english.

I know that it was a localization liberty to begin with but to me it just isn't frog to me without his old dialogue.

18. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    heh i got to checking and i still have my Ps1 of the FF IV and Chronotrigger and Predakwon you have inspired me to do a new run via my Ps3.

For the record the only difference is they added some anime style cut scenes mostly at the end if i recall correctly. FFIV has a new cgi intro. otherwise its identical to FF II on the Snes right down to the duping glitch.

19. harveydent

harveydent Unknown Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Played it without a guide when I was a kid and got through no problem, it's pretty straightforward and linear unlike Chrono Cross. Even in the reviving Chrono part, sparing Magus, the Robo forest quest, and the stingy Mayor, they give you giant clues on what you need to do. The only time I used a guide was when I wanted to finish all the endings.

• Like Like x 1
  20. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Went to the video store on Wednesday because of this thread.

I took another half an hour to decide wether or not to get the DS version. I let it go yet again. I just can't pull the trigger.

I remember trying to get multiple status pills to get my characters to have all stats maxed out. I overplayed the game.

It's been there for at least two years now. Taunting me each time I pass by the area.