OpenPlay notSpringer (MP scaled)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Weezie, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Throbbing Member

Turns out he didn't have better things to do that night than die.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    Yeah, all of this.

I think in person the bots with really premium finishes are great and stand out, but having 'premium' collectibles was never why I started my MP collection.

I started collecting 'adult-oriented' Transformers with Hasbro's MP01, which I got for $50, and then followed up with the $20 Alternator series. All I really wanted was larger, (relatively) more complex versions of my G1 favorites.

When the MP line launched, I was super happy to get these 'definitive' versions for decent prices, and that were really fun to pick up and mess with. But that's slowly evolved into both official and 3P figures that are super premium, but overly complex and really expensive.

Personally, I would have preferred a middle ground of MP toys that followed the Big Spring ethos. G1, well priced, and fun to transform. Even though most of my collection consists of premium figs now (because sometimes it's the only option), it's not what drew me in to collecting them.

• Like Like x 3
  3. ultraman zoffy

ultraman zoffy Well-Known Member

Got Big Spring in yesterday, and he is awesome... However, I could not get the chest tab working for sh*t despite trying all of my usual tightening methods. I ultimately had to use a small bit of black sticky tack putty to get it to stay in place. Not ideal, so I'm working on something a little more integrated to keep the chest in place. Anyone else not able to get the tab to work despite trying glue, polish, future, etc?

4. Dangard Ace

Dangard Ace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope. Future worked fine on mine.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ultraman zoffy

Alright... I guess I'll have to go thicker than I'm accustomed to doing.

6. Dangard Ace

News Credits:
    You do not want to know how many layers I had to go to make Generations Rhinox a stable toy. That thing was a floppy mess!

• Like Like x 1
  7. ultraman zoffy

I've been there with the entire CW line. Had to lay on so much polish on those toys that it forms that crust layer before it starts working. Was hoping to avoid that on Big Spring, but oh well.

8. Bainreese

Bainreese Well-Known Member

I love this figure. People got way too hung up over the face. IMO he is the best MP-scaled Springer to date. And I got him for less than $50 which makes it even sweeter.

• Like Like x 5
  9. ultraman zoffy

I started with Big Cannon then got Spring, and now I find myself wanting a whole G1 line from OP. The durability /playability make these more fun to own than my MP collection.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mormolyce

Why do I like this guy so much? Keep picking him up and fiddling with him...

So what's OpenPlay's next project? I'm not really interested in Big Cannon (have Sovereign and he's too perfect) but I'm keen to see where OP goes from here.

• Like Like x 1
  11. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They showed off an Arcee sketch, but no official announcements yet as to what's next.

12. Mormolyce

Will 2018 be the Year of Arcee?

<3

13. TCJJ

TCJJ 118% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    That seems to be a common problem, unfortunately. Floor polish worked for me for a very short amount of time and then it wore off.

Have a look at these posts:
    These might help. I haven't personally tried them yet but I should.
    I got TakaraTomy's Waspinator and Rhinox, and it blows my mind how they (sometimes) fix Hasbro's awful QC with ease. Unless it's Titans Return Skullcruncher, and then you're just shit out of luck.
    It better be, dammit! I need muh pink robits!

• Like Like x 1
  14. ultraman zoffy

Just like Big Cannon, this guy is a total hit for me. Shaving the face down so it sinks into the helmet and sanding down his cheeks and chin do wonders for dealing with the puffy face syndrome he had going on. My MP Springer from now on. =)
    20180405_083433-1.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  15. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He ruined all other MP Springers for me. I certainly wouldn't go Takara Tomy over this one, if they ever make a Springer.

He's just that good and you don't fix what ain't broke.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Mormolyce

Well, I just got around to transforming him to car mode for the first time. I kind of love it, they squished him down so squat! Like the opposite of the other Springers...

The transformation is really well engineered, it all comes together very nicely considering it's a triple changer, in fact there's no obvious kibble at all in car mode just like there wasn't in robot mode. Given he's kind of a "budget MP" in terms of materials used you'd think he wouldn't hold together very well, but actually quite the opposite, he's a joy to transform. There's only a couple of areas that don't quite secure as well as I'd like on mine - the cockpit seems to like to pop up if you nudge it too hard (tolerances must be off on the peg, or possibly due to the kind of plastic) and the dark green flaps at the back of the body section just kind of hang there rather than pegging securely into their slots, you can force them in but they feel like they want to pop out again like they're under tension. Still, it's not a big deal and overall it holds together remarkably well.

Just on the materials - I know nothing about plastics so I'm not sure what it is exactly but the plastic they used feels lighter and... softer? than the type I'm used to on high quality MPs. But it doesn't feel bad, in fact it kind of has a feel like a bigger chunkier version of a CHUG figure or something. Like it's light but feels rugged, as if you could easily play around with it without worrying about breaking anything. I kind of like it.

Basically what I'm saying is, this is how you do a budget line. Really make the most of what you do have, through clever engineering and making the right compromises in the right places. I'm more and more impressed with him.

• Like Like x 4
  17. TCJJ

TCJJ 118% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    In regards to the tabs on the back, they need sanding down to fit better (and even then, mine still aren't perfect). I think it's the upper tabs on the two sides (there are four, if I remember correctly - two for each set of folding panels) that cause the most trouble.

For the cockpit, when it's compressed, don't fold the middle piece doubled-over - fold it out in a straight line so that it sticks out the back of the cockpit, into the body. That'll make it sit more flush in vehicle mode (though that is for helicopter mode - it should be uncompressed for car mode). You may have to play around with a little, perhaps even check for some mould flash, but it should sit right in the end.

I think the plastic is pretty good quality, at least as far as I can tell. I honestly wish I knew far more about plastics than I do now (i.e. not a hell of a lot), but from what I can tell, it's pretty solid stuff. The legs leg a bit but they're big, hollow cavities so that's kind of a given (and it doesn't fell like it's going to break). I can see lighter, but I don't really think it's softer (other than some of the grey parts such as the legs, where I think that was probably an intentional choice on their part so that those parts don't break easily).

18. Dangard Ace

News Credits:
    E9E1C6F3-248C-4097-97F0-EEE200F6ADE2.jpeg BD63F30E-4E2E-4008-AEE2-994E8FD0980F.jpeg 40DAEB46-0A03-402A-90DE-7FE657BE660D.jpeg 554A7E7B-F9EC-4968-80CE-77FB901EC236.jpeg 89D2542D-DB5A-4F3D-865B-FCBDCB72E4BC.jpeg 95CAD11E-0089-4C17-8E6B-B712AE8AD6E6.jpeg DB38FF13-3ABB-4969-BD73-13316D2A01E5.jpeg B9598893-272A-4C6D-9460-FEC51DA05722.jpeg 66C043A9-7EA9-431A-8A0C-9B0016A59F98.jpeg

Having some fun with my latest 3D printed version of Springers face. I’m pretty much happy with the way it looks now. If anyone wants the stl files to print for themselves, this one, I’ll give it for free. Just ask.

Printed at .06mm. PLA. 100%infill.

Here’s me taking the supports off and test fitting.

19. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

I've scanned the search function but am drawing a blank to what appears to be a popular question: can anyone find a posted photo of Big Spring with the Grapple face? I found a few Inferno shots, but want to see how a final product would look before I start cutting. Thanks, and sorry if I missed something obvious.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Deceptijeff

Deceptijeff Active Member

Greetings all, kind of more a lurker more than a poster but I just got Big Spring yesterday from Showzstore and I'm definitely impressed! I've been interested in 3rd party transformers for a while but have never gotten around to actually getting one til recently. I knew I wanted a good MP sized Springer and with all the options available I did a bit of research on youtube as well as combing thru the threads and settled on this guy. For the price I bought it for, I feel like this was an amazing buy.

The plastic feels sturdy and the figure has nice ratchets in all the right places. I absolutely love how the bot mode is so sleek and does an amazing job hiding much of the kibble. The only gripe I can come up with is the flatness of the face, which honestly wasn't THAT bad when I got him in hand. I saw some fan mods earlier on this post that were done with the face and ill most likely be following suit. All in all, he looks great in all three modes. With the figure not including any instructions, I challenged myself to transform it (gently) without succumbing to youtube. The transformation from Bot to copter mode was fun and involved but nothing mind numbingly complex. Once I got it, I got it. I haven't transformed it to car mode yet but I've been having too much fun posing him in robot mode.

Overall I am definitely happy with him and for a relatively new company to design and engineer him, I think they did an exemplary job.

• Like Like x 3