Minor/Repaint: Open Play Big Cannon Face Mod

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Thundercracker Blue, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Thundercracker Blue

Thundercracker Blue Well-Known Member

As much as I like Big Cannon as a nice, large, semi-CHUGsterpiece Galvatron, I’ve always found his head sculpt to be borderline unacceptable. There are a couple of proportion problems that throw the whole thing off.
    70407331-9BAB-4CF3-9BC8-5C2D33EAAA1D.jpeg

First of all, there’s the odd space between the brim of his helmet and his eyes (red arrow). It makes it look like his helmet isn’t all the way on his head. The eyes themselves are oddly shaped. And the lower face/chin is too long, protruding too far below the sides of the helmet (green arrow). It tends to get lost in his ‘collar’, giving a lame turtleneck vibe.

The overall effect is that of the helmet being too small for the head/face, such that it seems to ride too high on the figure’s head (like a grown man trying to wear a child’s cap). This impression is made worse by the fact that the helmet actually is a bit too narrow on the sides (black arrow).

I modified the head by taking it apart, removing the eyes, and trimming down the forehead closer to the eye-sockets. I also trimmed the sides of the face. These modifications allowed the face to be positioned higher up in the helmet, making it ‘fit’ better. This also helps de-emphasize the odd shape of the eyes themselves. I also repositioned the face a little; essentially, I oriented the face at a slight angle, with the forehead tipped back a bit and the chin angled forward somewhat (almost like an underbite). The result is that the chin is a bit foreshortened, which (combined with the aforementioned trimming) enhances the relative proportions of the face while improving the position of the chin relative to the helmet. Lastly, I hit his chin patch with a gray Gundam marker (of course). Galvatron goatee or GTFO!

Before:
    F83BA171-104D-4D45-8705-322EC20E5E53.jpeg
    (screenshot courtesy of Jobby the Hong on YouTube)

After:
    924E5259-2B85-42B1-8BAB-848351B3B58D.jpeg

I’m very happy with how this turned out. For me, this is as good a CHUG Galvatron head sculpt as I would ever need.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 18
  2. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

Wow, I didn't have an issue with the original design but you sure did improve it leaps and bounds!

• Like Like x 3
  3. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

News Credits:
    holy crap! care to provide in-depth pics of the helmet for those who'd want to try this? such as me?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ThunderDestron

ThunderDestron Vast predatory bird

Yeah I really didnt notice anything being wrong but that after photo is wayyyy better. Probably the best galvatron headsculpt youd need.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thundercracker Blue

It’s pretty easy. I’ll take it apart and describe the process.

First, I removed the screw in the back of the helmet. The silver face plate has a loop on top that allows it to hang from the screw housing. The eyes are a separate piece, also mounted to a loop on top.

For the silver face plate, I used an x-acto and needle files to cut off the loop and carve the brow down, reducing the total amount of forehead. The yellow lines show where I cut/filed. I also expanded the red loop downward, so the whole assembly would be able to be positioned higher:
    B4A8AD7C-5301-4199-8164-F628154C8592.jpeg

The face plate also has “wings” on either side. They look like cheek guards, but their actual purpose is structural: they slide between tabs on either side of the inside of the helmet, holding the face in the stock (ie, too low) position. I cut off these face plate “wings”, again indicated by the yellow lines in the above and below pictures:
    67BE918D-DB14-49BB-8D17-77F8129E186A.jpeg

Next, I cut off those guides on the inside of the front of the helmet. Doing so allows the face plate to be positioned higher. The yellow circles show where those guides/tabs were located (they're just stumps now):
    D7704AD2-5656-4788-951A-BA3F23229271.jpeg B11B7E48-A9BC-4911-8D70-F85ABAF06F9D.jpeg

I then used the cut-off silver loop (along with some foil) to make a spacer to put around the top half (the 12 o’clock position) of the screw peg (as indicated by the red arrow in the picture above). I did this to cause the lower face to angle forward a bit once the head was put back together.

Putting the face plate and eye assembly back on the screw peg, you can see how the spacer sort of causes the jaw to angle up (see below):
    DCEAC44F-2B58-459E-A7B7-1FB78FB6508D.jpeg A9E7205A-36BD-4F08-A1F8-F3C5CE72D471.jpeg

After that, just screwed it back together and painted the chin. I actually did the whole thing sitting at my desk at work during some down time.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

Amazing!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

News Credits:

thanks for the tutorial! i was able to successfully mod mine in just a few minutes, i used a hobby file for the most part but i did use an x-acto knife as well

now he looks much better!

20200724_035213.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  8. Thundercracker Blue

Looks great!

• Like Like x 1