Ongoing Wrestling Discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Night Shift, Nov 28, 2005.

1. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

Dang! I took a quick look at that pic and thought it was Ryback.

Taking my son to see RAW tomorrow night in Green Bay.

2. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

That picture is from 2011 if its the same one floating around the dirt sheets.

3. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
  4. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
  5. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I think there's been at least one match in the past few Raws that the crowd started chanting "This is awesome". Never have those matches been the "Big guy v Big guy" matches we so frequently get. They have enough old names that just came back and I'm sure they'll have others doing so at WM. Goldberg had his time and had a shot in the WWE and didn't do anything the first run. The last thing we need is for him to come back, take up hype time and match space from guys who are actually worth watching. Give the people who actually put on awesome matches more time to shine at WM, where they can go all out for millions of people around the world and keep the halfassed returning old names matches back in the past.

6. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Good stuff from the usual suspects on Raw and looking forward to the new additions to the SS card.

Does anyone on Earth give a single fuck about Ryback at this point? Dude was just getting decent and they murdered every little bit of heat he had for no payoff whatsoever, leaving him to bum around the card doing the complete opposite of what people liked about him in the first place. I'm half expecting him to join Tons of Funk next week.

I subjected myself to Total Divas for a second week and I don't actually regret it because Fandango was gold on that show, playing his fake real life as a mashup of his gimmicks instead of trying to pretend the show is actually real.

7. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Is Bray Wyatt really going to get his first PPV win in an Inferno match? Thats pretty cool. Didn't think we'd see that.

8. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I doubt Goldberg would come back to take a loss, which puts Ryback on the losing end of yet another feud. Ryback couldn't beat the Shield, couldn't beat Punk, couldn't beat Mark Henry, couldn't beat Cena, and squeaked by Jericho (who loses to EVERYONE) with a roll-up. That's just a bad idea if they want to keep Ryback around for a while, unless the idea is to keep having him lose for a while, and then build him back up from the bottom.

An OK Raw last night. Bryan and Cena continue to develop hype for their match, Rhodes and Sandow looks to be a good fight, the possibility of an inferno match, Punk vs. Lesnar...all good. Maybe Christian vs. Del Rio should be the pre-show.

9. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    If Goldberg comes back it will be to end Ryback. Goldberg signs a Lesnar Deal, they write Ryback off with a Huge match against the guy he's getting heat for being a ripoff of and disappears for a while and is repackaged again. If HHH can bury the WWF(E) Hatchet with Bruno and Jim, he can talk Goldberg into a Short Term Deal.

10. RabidYak

Forgot to mention the LOLZ earlier - Vince stomping on Bryan's jacket in petty rage, Layla's completely nonsensical rope hang and Axel looking totally confused about what he was supposed to be doing in the background when Heyman was talking to Renee.

11. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    So I watched Raw for the first time last night since WrestleMania 2011 ... I missed wrestling. I was smiling the entire time I think. I have got to get back into this, but surprised to see a lot of talk of how WWE has dropped the ball in recent years.

12. RabidYak

You've come back at the right time. There are still problems that'll become apparent once you've been watching for a few weeks, but things have definitely been picking up in the last few months and there is a crazy level of talent on the books right now.

13. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I thought the Bryan-McMahon opening last night was a dud. I actually am really enjoying what's brewing with Sandow and Rhodes.

14. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I was at RAW last night and even though I'm not that big into the WWE, I have to say that they always put on a good show.

A few thoughts from last night:

How did Dean Ambrose ever get a job with the WWE? It couldn't have been based on wrestling talent because he doesn't have any. The only thing he's good for is being a heel. At least the other two guys in The Shield can wrestle.

This Fandango guy....really? He has got to be quite possibly the stupidest WWE character ever.

I was so looking forward to the Mark Henry/Ryback match. That really sucked.

At times, the chants of Yes! Yes! Yes! were deafening. After the show people out in the streets were yelling it, and even just driving down the road people were yelling it out of their cars.

Poor Ricardo Rodriguez. That dude got his ass handed to him.

My favorite line of the night was from Brock Lesnar. After he gave his interview following his altercation with CM Punk, he looks over at Paul heyman and says "OK Paul, say something stupid now."

15. gil

gil Godmaster

Glad you enjoyed the show.

Ambrose? It's weird hearing you say that. Most people think he has a bright future, and it's Reins that everyone thinks is the "non-wrestler" of the group.

Anyway, I've been to house shows and know the taping are different. I always wondered, when a wrestlers comes out and the show cuts to a commercial. Than after the commercial, the wrestlers just standing there with his music still playing waiting for his opponent, what the hell happens during the commercial? The guy just stands there with his music playing for 5 minutes(or longer)?

16. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

When they cut to a commercial they kill the wrestlers music and the arena goes black. Then they show commercials or other kinds of promos up on the big Titantron. This whole time the wrestler is just standing in the ring usually talking to the ref or the ring announcer. Then just before they go back live the lights come back on and they start the wrestlers music again.

17. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    What show were YOU watching?! Ambrose is one of the guys who are the future of WWE. Along with Seth Rollins (Tyler Black of ROH), they are among those with the same wrestling style as Bryan Danielson.

18. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

If he's the future, the WWE is in trouble. The only moves that he has are kicking a guy when he's down and punching him when he's in the corner. Very impressive.

19. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I'm powering through day 2 of the G1 Climax. 3 hours each day is too much so I'm joining matches in progress. God bless YouTube.

20. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

It's been sorely lacking for a long time, but as of late the WWE is really rising back up as some great entertainment. I've never been to a live show myself but I can only imagine just how crazy it actually gets in there. As for your other comments:

Ambrose is actually *great* at selling hits and his character while in the ring. I've seen his NXT work and he actually has some great matches, all the while giving every single movement his own strange and unique touch. He also has a purely "roughneck" style to him, reminiscent of how Hogan or even Austin (at times) would wrestle, using moves that weren't so much "moves" but more like dirty tactics. Combined with his somewhat deranged persona, he pulls off the "Kinda crazy evil guy" character really well. At least imo. As Gil pointed out, Reigns is the one who really can't "wrestle", as much like many of the other big guys, he has a very small and simple move set without much character behind it. All he's known for is his spear (which at least three other people use as a finisher), the triple powerbomb...which needs the team to do, and his Superman punch, which does actually look cool. But otherwise he's just another big guy. Throwing him with Ambrose and Rollins, who are both great in their respective techniques and styles, both able to tell great stories in the ring, will actually help polish Reigns up a bit so hopefully he does eventually improve.

As for Fandango, yes his character is stupid. Everyone knows that, including Fandango. But despite that he's making the best out of a bad situation, and when the time comes and the WWE finally lets him shirk off the corporate mandated character they forced on him, Johnny Curtis will be at *least* a WHC contender and main eventer. The man is good in the ring, good on the mic and great at getting heat from the crowd. He was able to take an awful concept and character and get fans everywhere singing along with his theme song.

The Ryback/Henry fight went pretty much as expected imo. These super heavies are *very* rarely fun to watch and usually require some special set up or super-spot to really do anything interesting. It was Vince's stubborn attempts to cling to these kinds of wrestlers that brought the WWE down so low while it took guys like Punk and Bryan, the complete opposite of what Vince looks for in a champion, to really elevate the program again.

And I had to laugh when Brock told Heyman to say something stupid seeing as Brock's promo was pretty terrible. Heyman usually kills it when he has a mic in his hand, while Lesnar just kind of fumbles over his own words and comes out with some pretty silly stuff.