Ongoing Wrestling Discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Night Shift, Nov 28, 2005.

1. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Tony Khan is great and Vince needs to go, but the main lesson to learn from 2001-19 is that we can't ever go back to one guy owning all the big wrestling in America no matter who it is.

More guys like TK though, that is something we definitely do need. TNA never made it to the top tier despite having enougth good in-ring talent because pretty much everyone that was involved in owning and booking that company when it had the opportunity were carnies that couldn't run a business and/or move the fuck on from the past.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    this is exactly why aew is succeeding. the carnies have input but tony is a BUSINESSMAN in charge. he may be able to relate to the talent but at the end of the day he is about keeping things profitable and enjoyable. vince/others were carnies turned businessman, tony is a businessman who can relate with carnies. kinda simple logic when you put it on paper :lol 

• Like Like x 4
  3. RabidYak

No argument here, I think it's the combination of being a legit business guy that understands wrestling without actually being from wrestling that makes him a good promoter.

It also helps that he listens to the right carnies to make a successful modern wrestling show, not the same ones that failed over and over for 20 years yet still kept getting employed because they were briefly successful in wrestling management some time in the 70s, 80s or 90s.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think we all felt that way about him.

5. RabidYak

Good gawd the NXT dirt doing the rounds today is even worse then I was expecting.

I'm always reluctant about talk of this being the WWE end times as it still has that massive brand recognition and a few million hardcore marks that will watch it no matter what, but the long term future of the company really is fucked at this point if Vince doesn't sell or die within the next few years.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Uniclonus

Uniclonus Well-Known Member

Just saw those reports. Damn. Really feels like a case of learning the wrong lessons from 'losing' to AEW. That or Vince (or the people who have his ear) finally having an excuse to turn back the clock on developmental and only hire failed bodybuilders and football players again.

Related, Adam Cole is a goddamned idiot if he re-signs.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

Whether you're a fan of Corny or not, this is worth a listen just to hear the Bobby Eaton stories.

• Like Like x 1
  8. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

If I may play devil’s advocate for a moment…

Yes, it sucks that so many talented WWE/NXT wrestlers are losing their jobs and I hope they find success elsewhere.
    However…
    Under the current model (which has lasted for, what, around 10 years?), how many true breakout stars has WWE generated? Not many, and almost certainly no transcendent stars like the Rock or Hogan. Over that period, WWE has stagnated. They’ve had to keep bringing in past stars like Brock or Cena to generate any kind of buzz.

Yes, obviously the creative problems have contributed to the downturn. But I would argue that the current model has proven unsuccessful, in spite of the incredibly talented wrestlers, and that a change is necessary to attempt to breath some life into a mediocre product.

WWE needed a drastic change to turn things around, and that’s what we’re seeing.

9. RabidYak

All of these problems are 100% down to Vince and his shitty booking, changing their developmental system and hiring practices isn't going to make a difference because he's just going to book and bury all these young green big guys into oblivious the same way he has done with all the big guys he's had in the last decade aside from Roman (who would have been permanatly over 5 years ago if he was booked properly) and maybe Drew (who he buried the last time he worked there and might do so again).

Ryback was over and he buried him, Cesaro has had good momentum multiple times and he kept buying him, Miro got over twice and got buried both times, he could have had Braun huge over but shit the bed with him, Walter was the first guy out in that Survivor Series match despite being a absolute monster of a wrestler, Big E has always been under utilised, Keith Lee got buried as soon as he arrived on a Vince show and lets not even start on how much we missed out on with Brodie because Vince wouldn't use him properly.

Those are just the tall and/or beefy guys, we'd be here all day if we started talking about smaller dudes that could have been more successful for that company if it wasn't a complete fucking shambles. Not least their bullshit about wanting a big new latino star to replace Rey whilst at the same time destroying everybody that could have filled that spot for them.

Meanwhile, who has gotten over huge in WWE during that period in spite of all this? Bryan Danielson and CM Punk, who they relentlessly tried to sabotage even whilst they were their top draws (and in Punk's case, getting some of the mainstream attention that Vince desperately craves) because they wen't big puffy guys that work a limited style or people that fit into their shitty backstage culture.

WWE can make all the excuses they want about changing media landscapes or unreasonably hostile audiences, but there is no denying or hiding from this shit anymore when there is an equivalent show on another channel that has red hot crowds almost every week and is getting dozens of people over no matter their size, age, style or background.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    the only drastic change really needed is vince out of command. anything short of that is just a temporary bandaid.

• Like Like x 3
  11. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    It’s pretty much a given at this point that Vince needs to be dumped in the nearest retirement home (And Nick Khan needs a pink slip shoved down his throat while we’re at it), it’s only a matter of who, besides Tony Khan, is the perfect choice to take over ownership of WWE?!

12. FiVE1ZERO

FiVE1ZERO ***FT Screwdriver Collector ONLY.!***

Damn... Super bummed out Alex Riley would never consider joining AeW as he's a self proclaim "A Vince McMahon guy".

Seriously what a buffoon lol. He hasn't been irrelevant for who knows how long. Hahaha

• Like Like x 1
  13. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

It was a beautiful tribute.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought that was hilarious when the doll wink at Doudrop.

15. prfctcellrulz

News Credits:
    I keep saying it every week: NOTHING GOOD EVER COMES FROM FUCKING WITH KILLER DOLLS!

Shayna Baszler learned that the hard way, and it’s only a matter of time before Eva Marie and Piper Niven (No fucking way am I calling her Doudrop) suffer the same fate

16. prfctcellrulz

News Credits:
    Yeah but I bet I know what’s coming next:

RK-Bro is effectively Team Hell No 2.0, despite this dysfunction, because Orton still won they’ll most likely be given a match for the RAW Tag Titles at SummerSlam, and again, like with Team Hell No, they’ll pull off the upset and become the new Tag Champions

17. prfctcellrulz

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  18. HunGrrr

HunGrrr Walks with Ezekiel's older brother

And right afterwards Riddle will hit Randy with an RKO.

19. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

I’m such a big Taker fan he’s part of my screen name, and I DON’T want him to wrestle again. He’s happy at home with Michelle and his kid, he has nothing more to prove. I saw in that documentary (I forget the name) what he had to put his body through just to put on passable performances in his last couple matches, he doesn’t need to subject himself to that again.

• Like Like x 4
  20. prfctcellrulz

News Credits:
    Cole/O’Reilly III is gonna be a Three Stages Of Hell Match.

Round 1 (As chosen by Kyle) is a normal Singles Match. Round 2 (As chosen by Adam) is a Street Fight. And Round 3 (As chosen by GM Regal) is a Steel Cage Match.

So if this does end up being Cole’s final match in WWE, at least he’s going out with a bang

• Like Like x 2