One Piece

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by MagiRanger, Mar 12, 2006.

1. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    I was referring more to the DIC dubs. The dubs that had names, genders, major plot points, and "inappropriate" content removed/changed.

2. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Maybe, but aside from my dial up making downloads next to impossible, I really dislike reading subtitles. I don't read fast enough and don't retain information as well as when I hear it.

3. DX7879

DX7879 Captain of Strawhats

I love the show. I'm all caught up with the episodes (subs) and manga. I'm probably one of the few big One Piece fans that find the dub decent. I tend to judge shows on how they are as a show, isntead of how they are compared to the original though. If I don't like a show, I can simply stop watching it too. Damn people on other boards, who can't stop watching even though they hate it...

4. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

That's a very good way of looking at it. Wish more Anime fans would adopt that philosophy.

5. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    Heh, the dub is so different from the original. I can't even consider them the same show.

6. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

The DIC Sailor Moon dub wasn't that bad to me.To be honest I've seen worst dubs (ie Nelvana's Cardcaptors)which actually did get better by the 2nd season

And considering that DIC's target audience for SM were young girls.Then I understand and accept the reason for the changes/edits

That's how I am too to be honest DX.In fact that majority of the time it's the dub that gets me interested enough in buying the uncut DVDs.That's how I got interested in Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura.The dub caught my interests enough for me to want to see how it stacked up to the original

EXACTLY,some times I think anime fans just like to complain.You should read the Sonicxanime.net boards.They bitch and complain about how 4kids sucks yet they still watch it.Guess they think it makes them hardcore to watch something they don't like/appreciate

*Raises hand* :thumbs2: 

Anime fan here who practices that VERY philosophy

7. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    I really hope you guys aren't calling me ignorant or anything like that. I dislike the One Piece (and stuff like CCS) dub because it's missing content and the voices are IMO sub-par.

Theres dubs I like and dubs I dislike, but if the show sucks i'm not watching it in any format.

8. Hakudoushi

Hakudoushi Well-Known Member

One piece is a great anime in that it's art is soo cartoony you can't helo but like it.

When I first got a subscription to Shonen Jump when it first started I though One Piece was crap because it had crappy art.

But on the contrary One piece has become one of my absolute favorite anime/manga out there. I find the art very satisfying now because of the simplicity, but also because of its complexity and constistancy.

If you have a problem with the anume dub, just buy the Manga. Much easier...

9. DX7879

I think most people, at least me, or just annoyed by the people that complain about a show and continue watching it every week. So no one is calling you anything. At least I don't think so...So much you can do in 30 minutes, instead of watching a dub you hate

10. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    Heh, I guess they just want a reason to complain about something they dislike. No one is forcing anybody to watch the dub, nor is it the only way of watching the show. Theres always the fansubs and manga.

Guess I can't really say much though since i'm always telling people to watch the fansubs instead of the dub, but I just try to suggest it once and then back off.

11. DX7879

I try to suggest people to watch subs if they don't like the dub, but they come up with crappy reasons why they continue. I'm starting to think that only younger people (not all) continue to watch stuff they don't like. I visit gamefaqs.com and arlonpark.net, and the people that complain and watch appear to be younger. This was the first time so many people agree with what I said about the whole dub thing.

12. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I used to watch the dubs but somehow the story doesn't seem to flow. It was only until I got the fan subs that I truly appreciate this anime. Its not as action pack as Naruto but its definately more charming and has its moments.

The soundtrack for the fan subs is pretty decent too...just finished the Merman arc and really enjoyed it! The music and tempo when Luffy first confronts Arlong is so good and cheesy that I love it - does anyone know why I can get the OST? The scenes were very intense too - such as Nami's story.

13. DX7879

Anyone ever visit some One Piece forums?

14. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, can you recommend any?