Omnigonix V-01 Spinout - MP Scaled Sunstreaker

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Jun 19, 2014.

1. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

Sure there are... at increasingly discounted prices. And the cheaper it gets, the more forgiving people will be. There will always be "this isn't worth a dollar" types, but I think he'll increasingly find a home with collectors who don't mind getting a good looking figure with some highly questionable qc - at a major discount. It's a $90 design with $20 QC. Simple as that.

For people without the time, inclination, or skill to do some rudimentary fixes, they should avoid this completely. Otherwise, if you want the best looking Sunstreaker bot for your shelf, a little work will get you there, and you likely won't have to pay a lot to give it a shot.

It's far from the perfect figure we all wanted, but it's not the abysmal trainwreck some would lead you to believe. And unlike that other bot, spinout doesn't look like Steve Urkel fell in yellow paint....

2. strife2k7

strife2k7 Well-Known Member

Maybe I lucked out and got a good one, but my copy tabs together very well between head and chest, the hips aren't as floppy as some I've seen, though he won't hold a one-legged pose. Paint is the biggest issue, the yellows are very different, quite noticable. I think I'll paint the inner shoulder red, as the yellow is very faint there. Still, for a discounted price I'm not unhappy.

3. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

Just for grins, I swapped out the head this morning. Can't decide, I like them both...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. sifu74

sifu74 Banned

News Credits:
    Just wait for a KO company like Wukong to jack this mould and produce it with better QC and sale it for $25

5. N_M_S

N_M_S Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thought I'd prefer that head, but it makes him looks like one of the IDW drones, which honestly is kind of what I was thinking of doing with Spinout since I already have Sunsurge.

I wonder how he would look with the Classics head? I have a spare I was thinking of putting on my 2nd Sunsurge (or on Sentinel Blaze).

6. Chareos

Chareos needs new Omnibots

News Credits:
    "Getting the head into the crotch area is really difficult..."

:lol 

7. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

I had that thought as well. I've got a spare classics (really, all my classics are now *spare*... hahahaha), but he's unopened and I hated to open him up just to find out. Please post a pic if you try it.

8. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

I don't care about Sunstreaker (never have), but I'm really sorry to see this figure has issues. If I were to buy a Sunstreaker, I would definitely go with this one, since I like the look of it in robotmode and altmode a lot more than Badcube's offering: that one looks too small and too slim for my taste.

Maybe I will get one if the discount is interesting enough.

9. spot138

spot138 Proud Gee-Wunner!!!

Ebay:
    I'll probably still pick this guy up sooner or later. He looks like a pretty good rainy weekend sort of project and I think I can fix him up pretty good.

10. Weezie

Weezie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just hope you get a copy with a tight tabbing chest. I didn't and even with all the fixes I applied, nothing can change the fact that his chest unpegs with the slightest of touches (and I'm not being hyperbolic).

11. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    Used future on the hips. He is okay.

Some car angle shots. (And expecting snarky response from the usual suspects)

[​IMG]

12. sifu74

sifu74 Banned

News Credits:
    Never noticed that they also left out the outline of the car door from the bottom rear until I saw Paiks review.

13. murphytronus

murphytronus Im not Shardimus

Dat ass

14. Soma

Soma Well-Known Member

I love all these people who don't even own the figure commenting about the build quality as if they had him in hand. I'm reserving judgement for once I've actually had a crack at the guy, you know, like a reasonable adult.

15. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

It is reasonable to form an opinion based on information from others and videos, especially when some are trusted sources and the large majority of them have agreement with eachother.

Acting as though your own experiences are the only ways to determine information is not adult. Do you think the world is flat because that's your experience? (I'm assuming you don't have the equipment to challenge the flat earth theory)

16. Big Bronze Rim

Big Bronze Rim Veteran

Agreed. I don't need to own this thing to know is generally a POS.

17. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually think the majority of in hand reports indicate that it is a poorly made figure, but not the complete trainwreck that the hyperbole brigade are making it out to be.

18. Death333

Death333 aliases: Dx3, Dr. Whiffington, Hellscr333m

News Credits:
    I might agree with you except for the wide range of issues that everyone has had. When it's only a few people reporting the same issue your statement rings true but when it's everyone reporting a myriad of issues that's a train wreck.

19. mcart

mcart I'm not fat, it's Prime Armor

News Credits:
    Well the reviews show this guy as no.where near the hit mess we were scared of. Outside of Ruzius copy which seems to be the worst one so far (sorry about that and I hope they get you sorted out) the main issues look like things that could be sorted out with a little polish and a little glue.

Aside from that terrible neck design. I can't get me head around that, ok so he's not sniffing his own crotch Ala sunsurge but the trade off is an ET impression? !!

My take away from the reviews so far. If they could rework the tabbing in of the chest and neck I'd still be on for a red one for my Diaclone shelf. Although Blaze is still looking tempting. ..

20. theosteve

theosteve Well-Known Member

I get that and largely agree. But what I find interesting is that not only figures produced directly by Keith (KFC and XTB, if I understand the situation correctly) but also figures produced by other companies through Keith's facilities seem to make the same quality/cost trade off. Such as Omnigonix here (the company, not the individual who posts here, as they seem to be different). Seems there have been others, but I can't recall other specific cases at the moment. I wonder why that is? Does he market as a factory which can produce a favorable (to the producers) cost/ quality balance? Or do companies across the quality spectrum use his factories, but we only hear about it when the quality is lower, because he is a favorite whipping boy of this forum?

I should say the question is based mostly on hearsay, rather than personal experience. I only have four figures of which I'm aware of a connection to Keith: XTB Krank, and three versions of that deluxe Perceptor mold. I've had quality problems with only one, the third of the Perceptor mold I bought. I've no complaints at all about the other three, and Krank is one of my all-time favorite figures. Granted, I don't rigorously play with any of my figures. I pose them, usually in dynamic poses, then leave them that way on display for a few weeks, until I decide to change up the poses. But I've had no problems with that for all but one.

Tangential note about the article: I always assumed top-notch QC was mostly about more time And care on the processes. It hadn't occurred to me (though it seems obvious in hindsight) that much of it is rejecting work done. More than half the parts molded and painted end up in the garbage?! Yikes!