Omnigonix V-01 Spinout - MP Scaled Sunstreaker

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

The thought had also crossed my mind as well. If it looks too similar to the real Countach, then they can expect to receive a cease and desist order. Badcube purposely made the rear section of their Sunsurge vehicle mode to resemble how it looked in the cartoon, but it also conveniently alters their not-Countach to distance the car body design away from the real model.

2. T4LIFE

T4LIFE Well-Known Member

To me the majority of 3p companies here are like mom and pop shop established in China, so when and how does copyright work towards against these companies if their design is 90% like the real thing (in this case we're talking about countach). And we all know (I hope) China is the master of imitation/KO on many levels for so long in the history of KO and got away with the majority of what they do. So honestly i think the only reason the company butchered the designed is pure cutting corner and has nothing to do with copyrights on top of a small volume of toys we're talking about here.

3. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Yeah, I don't get the notion that these companies are worried about looking too much like the actual car when everything else is a blatant ripoff...

4. metalwar2010

metalwar2010 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Unfortunately, its just them cutting corners from the looks of things. As mentioned already, KO's have already did Sideswipe and Red Alert, which are far worse since they even copied the box and hologram or whatever that sticker is.

It sucks and hopefully the message is reaching to the parties that made the decision on both omissions of these areas on the car mode.

5. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Yeah, I don't see worrying about IP being any issue here. The company has final say on what they want and find acceptable. I doubt Cubex requested flakey paint but they accepted it, didn't do a good enough inspection before they shipped, just couldn't deal with the cost since they were newer at the time or most likely a combination of these things. Point is, there are plenty of factories that are more than capable of making top notch quality products with whatever details/intricacies possible and it's up to the company that hires them to decide what they want their final product to be.

6. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TCP confirms the date has been pushed as well.

7. XXLMagnus

XXLMagnus King of Kings

It's over guys, nothing to see here ... don't wna post a "did he died?" comment on this thread in June, but this release is reaching Monty Python-esque levels of comic futility at this point ...

8. murphytronus

murphytronus Im not Shardimus

But it has not even been a whole two years since the reveal? Surely it will be at retail any day now

9. KevinSig

KevinSig Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    I said it was the factory, not the company. I think that matters. Up until Quakewave no 3rd party item looked perfectly like his G1 counterpart.

Maybe the factories wouldn't allow it, but years of no issues with HasTak has emboldened them.

However, Lamborgini itself is another matter.

10. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

So the factory is cool with it looking exactly like the TF character, but is concerned about the vehicle? I think the only thing some of them avoid are the logos/faction symbol...which I don't know why they even care about that since the KOs make them identical and nobody is going after them.

11. KevinSig

Twitter:
    What I was suggesting that early 3rd party looked like re imagined versions of the characters, and it took some time before we worked our way to Masterpiece style.

Personally, I really expect that the lack of a vent came 100% from the factory. I can't see the Omnigonix people having a reason to remove it from the design if not prompted by the factory.

Why the factory would have wanted the vent removed is a mystery, but I can only guess.

The only other reason I can think of, is that there was some sort of mistake made when they made the molds, that removed the vents by accident.

12. T4LIFE

T4LIFE Well-Known Member

13. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I dunno. Ask any random person who Sunstreaker might be, and you'll probably get scratched heads. But Lamborghini, not so much...

14. XXLMagnus

XXLMagnus King of Kings

15. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

Fanstoys is a chinese company, and dalianjj said that their Grinder figure can't look too similar to the official Grimlock, otherwise their distributors won't carry their product. Notice how Grinder has the crooked jawline, and more talon-like claws. Now, why would FT intentionally change little details to look less like the source material?

16. T4LIFE

T4LIFE Well-Known Member

Right because there is a conflict of interest in etailers's inventory: Both official and 3p products compete against each other. But as you said the official company can only tell etailer what to do but can not communicate directly to fantoys and they impose a threat on the etailer in hoping that the etailer will turn around and threaten the 3p folks that they wont carry their product if they are too similar. Again, no copyright issue here.

But if it's someone who doesnt give a crap like Cloud 9/TF-Direct, there is nothing can be done or said about it.

17. Spence

Spence Well-Known Member

There is no way on earth that the issue could be a copyright issue with the factory. The number of items that come from China that are in Lamborghini form is astronomical. Last week I bought a Lambo police car in some European deco that is an exact replica of the latest Lambo for a mere 200 Philippine pesos. This item was a piece of junk with thin plastic, and it lasted no more than 24 hours in the hands of a child. It looked amazing and just like a real lambo but I can assure you it was no where even close to official or licenced.

90% of the toys sold in Asian countries are not licenced and are not official. With this quantity of items being produced you can be assured that the factory is not at all caring about what it looks like at all.

Cost cutting, pure and simple. Nothing else to it. So whomever is in charge of the factory is the one to blame here as it was done at that level.

18. KevinSig

Twitter:
    Look, I'm not saying it has to be a copyright issue. I also suggested it could have been a mistake or some sort of structural issue. I'm just certain whatever the specific reason the vent isn't there, wasn't something Omnigonix intended.

Another guess is, that in trying to shrink the bot mode, to be the same size as Sideswipe, the vent detail was accidentally left out of the conversion.

19. Exousia

Exousia Lost Lighter

News Credits:
    The difference there is two primary things.

1. They're talking about their figure being to similar to an official figure. Generally the bit that separates the big, mostly accepted, 3rd Parties from KO companies is that they make original designs. FT had to make Grinder look different because otherwise he'd look like an MP-08 Grimlock KO. Which leads to...

2. FT does a lot of business with retailers that don't carry KOs. Businesses that also do a lot of business with Hasbro and Takara, something that might be threatened if they did carry KOs.

As for emblems, the reason they keep away from those is because it's literally an entirely different beast. Emblems and names are held in an entirely different fashion than "characters" and "IP", and it's a much, much less nebulous fashion. Which is why it's another thing that differentiates "3rd Party" from "KO Company".

20. Agent86

Agent86 Active Member

Unless you're the factory or the client, you don't know what the reasoning is. It's all a guess, as to why the changes are made.

Usually it's money.

My guess: The client wants production to cost less, and asks the factory for suggestions. Factory suggests the use of stickers instead of the extra moulding and painting. Client says okay, as it saves $xxxxx (which would be enough to buy a Lamborghini Countach kit car (KO) replica).

My opinion: I am less interested in this product after these mould changes.

My hope: I hope Omnigonix (designer) got paid decently, as the original design/prototypes (before these changes) were pretty. I also hope the designer got to keep some of the prototypes, just for fun.