Oldest games you still enjoy?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by jorod74, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Castlevania IV and Zelda III.

Both of which rule.

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh and Herzog Zwei without a doubt. Who needs a mouse pointer on an RTS when the pointer is you as a badass jet/carrier that transformers into a Robot to help your troops. Why no one has updated this phenomenal game is beyond me. Yes, it didn't do well in sales, but that was a different time. RTSs are everywhere now.

3. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Now that just sounds fucken awsome, where can I find this if available?

4. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. They're the oldest in my collection and I still enjoy them to this day.

5. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First off, any FF pretty much brings back great memories, particularly 4, 6, and 7 and 8 if you consider 10 years old. I don't necessarily play through the whole games (don't have that kinda time), but I like loading them and playing around with them for a a while and hear some of the classic soundtracks.

I can also always play through Castlevania 4 and Symphony of the Night and have a great time. I also end up playing through at least a couple of Sonic games each every so often, and I can always enjoy Super Metroid. Super Mario World I get the inkling to play through every now and again to.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmmm, probably emulation somewhere. If I have it, I'll email it to you (I'm pretty sure I have it because I was playing it on my PSP a while back).

I wouldn't say it's the first RTS ever, but it definitely preceeded Warcraft. It's blue team vs red, and you have Troops, Tanks, Cycles, RPGs, Boats. You take over bases around the map by sending troops into them, and once they are taken you can manufacture more from those locations. The goal is to destroy the other guy's main base. You do all of the work yourself. Deploying troops in jet mode, and then if a base has defenses, transforming and helping in the fight, which also means the enemy can some in and transform and try to help his own guys out. The Music was excellent for a Genesis game.

Correction, according to this, it is one of, if not the, first RTS games. This site hails it was being a strange situation where one of the most popular genres in PC gaming started on a console....
    http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3134179

7. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I forgot that Crusader was made for the saturn.
    good game.

I may be weird, but i love the old DOS FPS games.
    I would load em up and listen to Chritian Metal while i played...so very wrong, but satisfying.

(i have tried about 8 times to dl DosBox, but everytime i try to configure it, it won't let me. sigh.)

I miss:
    Shadow Warrior
    Rise of the Triad
    Duke Nukem 3-D

I would love to have another Amiga...i bought one from a Walden Software store and loved it. made copies of a friend's disks. Falcon was ok, but Killing Game Show rocked. As did Populous.
    Until about 2 years ago, still had my .Info magazines.

My bro-in-law keeps an Intellivision connected to an old 13 inch tv with rabbit ears. (that thing doesn't need to be hooked up to the HDTV) I played it with him on his birthday after he got Intellivision Lives! for the PS2 and realized there's no way to play the games on it like you need to.

Eternal Champions was a riot.

anyone remember Robocop vs. Terminator?
    gawd....

8. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

you just pwn3d this thread. zzt consumed a huge portion of my teenage years... i made so many games on that thing. in fact, i might just go play it now. oh yeah, zzt > mzx any day. seeing half of the games that people are calling old here is somewhat depressing...
    another old pc game i loved... castle of the winds!!!

9. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Another one for my list, Sphinx Adventure for the Acorn Electron/BBC Micro. Released by Acornsoft circa 1983 and took up far too much of my time from the mid-1980s to the early 1990s, occasionally revisited now through the joy of emulation (I can't find the original cassette!). Text adventures ftw.

10. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Gotta be Sam & Max hit the road. Every time!

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, I thought I was the only one who had heard of castle of the winds.

12. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i used to make my own icons for that game all the time. i usually ended up playing the game as link. here's the author's homepage where he's got both parts up for download for anyone who hasn't played it: http://www.exmsft.com/~ricks/
    it's like the best roguelike for windows ever.