Old music you have recently discovered or decided you liked.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark_Convoy, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Damn straight. After "Countdown to Extinction" they did change to a wayyyy more pop based sound, but the songs weren't bad really, it's just, you know, Dave's whiny voice didn't suit vocal driven melodic radio rock tunes. Still though, some of the best metal music ever made is from Dave and his revolving door of band mates.

2. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Bruce Springsteen rules. His stuff is definitely worth checking out/listening to.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  3. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Megadeth (for obvious reasons), seen them twice in '07, and the Foo Fighters

4. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Buddy Holly. I love his music.

5. DarkDranzer

DarkDranzer Well-Known Member

Cool, I already like "Sweating Bullets" and "A Tout Le Monde" (if I die early I'm gonna have that song playing in the background, it sounds so awesome and fitting :D ) and another Megadeth song that I've heard but can't remember...the music they play in that song vaguely reminds me of a piece of the old G1 Transformers background music

6. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    I grew up on old music. But when I heard Miles Davis I was blown the fuck away! That guy was a GENIUS. He found Tony Williams, who is a BADASS drummer. Miles made so many other musicians famous. Herbie Hancock comes to mind. Wayne Shorter kicks ass! Ron Carter. The guys on Bitches Brew are gods among men.

Stravinsky............that was awhile ago....

7. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I've always been a fan of 80's metal, but I've just recently grown to 80's pop music as well. I wasn't a huge fan of pop music back then, but at the same time my likes and dislikes were quite stifled by my parents bacl then, too. Some singers/bands I've grown to love as of late:

Depeche Mode
    Duran Duran
    Phil Collins
    Modern English
    INXS

There's a lot more, but I'm not going to sit here and list 'em all. :p 

8. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    Gram Parsons is great, I recently started listening to him.
    Guided By Voices is a band I've sort of tried to get into for about 10 years, and it suddenly clicked for me this year, and now I love them.
    I've hated Bruce Springsteen all my life other than Nebraska (which is still his best album, hands down), but something in me has changed over the years and about a year ago I reached the point where I really connected with it and now he's one of my favorite artists.
    I had a crush on Jenny Lewis when I was a kid, and I heard about her band Rilo Kiley when their first record was out, but somehow never got around to them until about six months ago. They're excellent, although their new album is kind of a letdown. But the first three albums are good, and The Execution Of All Things is solid from start to finish.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  9. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I used to be a "IF IT AINT HEAVY IT SUCKS" kinda guy myself, but now I realize there shouldn't be any lame rules like that! Listen to fucking whatever. There's tons of awesome stuff out there. I'm so glad I opened my mind with music, it's been awesome the last two years or so discovering I actually like a lot of the stuff I blindly hated on for so long.

10. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Eeek, I feel ancient now that those three bands are regarded as Classic Rock.

11. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Hello me, its me again!! I still play Countdown every now and then when I wanna rock out.

12. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My dad used to play the 4 tops- the "sugar Pie, Honey Bunch" stuff.
    when i heard "Bernadette" for the first time, i heard it six more times just to get back to reality.

Amazing what songs bands that have labels will do to rattle you. "Papa was a rolling stone" still shocks me. (temptations did that one.)

i was 11 when dad bought me a cassette (yeah, it isn't a Victrola, but it is still old) of Iron Butterfly at a truck stop.
    burned it out listening to it.
    same with The Ventures

these days, i have family that i visit and when i see they still have thier cassette tapes or CDs they never listen to anymore, i offer to buy em.
    old country-western, decent copies of early 80s stuff...
    A lot of these things i may not like but the gems are in there.

like 2 Buddy Rich tapes, Joe Satriani, and though the tape hisses a lot, Yes.
    exposure to good stuff in there.

13. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    I finally got an iPod for christmas, and have been loading up all my music. Man I got tonz of good stuff that I forgot all about cuz it's been sitting on the shelf for so long, vs the 50 that stay in the car all the time. such as:
    Pink Floyd: Delicate Sound of Thunder (live, and it's awesome!)
    Megadeth:Countdown to Extinction
    Pixies:Bossanova
    Boston:Boston
    Bon Jovi:New Jersey
    Oingo Boingo:Best O' Boingo
    Scorpions:All (I have all pre '93 albums, but have only had the greatest hits in the car and they gots loads of other great stuff)

14. Blaster_Prime

Blaster_Prime drank the last beer

As odd as it sounds, only recently (last year specifically) did I discover how increadible KISS and IRON MAIDEN were ^^;;

silly Blaster, almost missing out on some of the best music out there!