"Old Friend"

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by DanC, Apr 25, 2021.

1. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    A regular assumption in the fandom is that Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus are lifelong pals, with a friendship or familial relationship that stretches back before the war. It results in a stream of fan theories, ranging from "Dion is Ultra Magnus!" to "The mystery Chaos Theory senator is Ultra Magnus!" always on the basis of "Ultra Magnus is Optimus's prewar buddy, he's the obvious choice."

Is this actually based on anything? As far as I can tell it's based on Optimus saying "old friend" once in the movie, and while headcanoning two words into an extensive backstory then insisting that headcanon is actual canon certainly sounds like this fandom, there might also be some additional basis I'm not aware of. But honestly, I'm not even aware of any media... comic, cartoon, video game, anything... in which we see them hang out or even have a non-job-related conversation.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ScientistMan

ScientistMan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To be fair, Optimus was on his deathbed when he said those words which gave them quite a bit of weight.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I imagine any retconed history would be in the era of before Prime and Company took off in the ark, and probably reestablished in the couple decades between Season 2 and the movie, especially if you count the "Scramble City" animated special.

4. Distant1

Distant1 Well-Known Member

To me, maybe Ultra Magnus was a big truck on Cybertron (even before the War with Megatron) and Ultra Magnus could have made deliveries to the docks where Orion Pax worked. But he was not Dion (see Rodimus Primal video about Dion on YouTube) and was not present when Megatron attacked the docks.

Or maybe when Orion Pax first became Optimus Prime, he had to visit a number of Autobot cities and found that Ultra Magnus was one of Optimus Prime's best and most reliable allies.

5. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Optimus calls a lot of people "old friend." Aside from Prime's death scene the two never interact until briefly in Rebirth I think.

Much of it is based on the fact that Ultra Magnus's inner robot is the same mold as Optimus's. So people would reason things like "Maybe Dion was made into Ultra Magnus, since he has the same mold as Optimus and Alpha Trion made Optimus out of someone."

In RID, Fire Convoy and God Magnus were depicted as brothers, and since in the US they were Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus respectively, this influenced the Dreamwave comics to depict the two as brothers there as well, with more emphasis placed on Magnus' inner white robot.

In the cartoon, it can only be figured that they're old friends from that one piece of dialogue, whereas in the Marvel UK comics Magnus is actually only a few months old when Optimus first meets him upon his return to Cybertron.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Ultra Magnus: "Optimus, You're still alive, old friend."
    Optimus: "Still, 'old friend.' You've managed to kill everyone else but like a poor marksman, you keep missing the target."

• Like Like x 1
  7. Atharun18999

Atharun18999 Xantium Pilot

I think it is a combination of Optimus and Magnus sharing the same robot mode (UM's inner Robot) and then working it back to Dion. Dreamwave played up the connect with Ultra Magnus and Prime and I actually enjoyed it. TF:p rime made him a key Lieutenant, Siege made him Prime's advisor and both were Protégé's of Alpha Trion. Even in RID (2001) Magnus and Prime were brothers. Dreamwave did the best IMO and I preferred their interpretation of the relationship the best

8. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    My head canon is in my sig. Both are part of The House of Magnus that are all similar commander models designed by Alpha Trion to house the Matrix of Leadership when it needs to be passed. This production model range includes Delta Magnus, Ultra Magnus and Toxitron (with an unauthorized model in Nemesis Prime). In Sunbow continuity, Orion Pax would have been rebuilt into Optimus Prime and retrofitted to be part of the production series aka The House of Magnus. The assumption then is that Ultra Magnus was not in a position or unwilling to accept the Matrix when Optimus was retrofitted (most likely the former), so it passed to Optimus instead.

In the case of Hot Rod, his regular production model wasn't able to house the Matrix, so the Matrix bestowed it's wisdom and reconfigured him into a hybrid model with that of The House of Magnus (hence the trailer, etc.).

In theory, Optimus and Ultra Magnus would have encountered each other numerous times before the Ark leaves Cybertron. It only takes one serious battle to make them feel like "brothers". Optimus might have left, thinking UM and the others were dead even though that wasn't the case and reunited between season 2 and the movie.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Everyone's millions of years old, so everyone's an old friend.

• Like Like x 1
  10. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    I think that, in the Scramble City manga, Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus are said to view each other as brothers.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Magnus Leader

Magnus Leader Young Optimus Prime is the Best Optimus Prime.

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Honestly, Optimus calling everyone "old friend" has become another unofficial catchphrase for him at this point.

And it's annoying.

Ultra Magnus: Perhaps I no longer need to try, Optimus.

Optimus: Magnus, you've got the Matrix, but you don't have me! You were going to kill me, Magnus! You're going to have to come down here! You're going to have to come down here!

(Wrath of Khan is great. I really wish a future TF incarnation would take heavy inspiration from it.)

• Like Like x 1