Old Flames - TFSource Article

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Maz, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    You know when that bell rings? When you slip into an old pair of comfortable slippers? When you walk down the street of your old house? Things move fast in the Transformers universe and new product can come at such pace that we can become blinded to what’s already around or has gone before. Recently I’ve started something of a journey back into my own collecting past having recently caught up with what is current and immersing myself in the brand new. This journey back in time has not only unearthed previously undiscovered gems of past toy lines for me, but also brought me face to face with a few old flames.

Old Flames | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the best
    Maz

2. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Fun, thoughtful stuff as always, Maz.

3. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    revisiting is always good

4. maz25

maz25 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    That photo of Anime Astrotrain hitching a ride on Shining Magnus is a thing of beauty.

5. RobotoChan

RobotoChan Nothing to see here

News Credits:
    Fire Guts Ginrai - I remember passing on a new one of those years ago. It's was cheap as well but I wasn't into Transformers so much then :( 

6. jinx23

jinx23 Wrecker

Ebay:
    Nice

7. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    yup ,another gem of an article that reverberates in all of us hardcore transformers collectors and aficionados. great read, as usual Maz. :) 

8. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wish somebody would offer me bt-17 in trade. :tongue: 

He's become one of my grails. I couldn't justify it at the now incredible price of $400 where they started (unless you were AT wonderfest), and it's only gotten more obscene. They seem to go for between $800-$1,000 last time I checked. I could probably get the money together, but it's a repaint and how do you justify spending that on a toy?? I just can't. Also, if you get said $1,000 toy, do you open it? Logic would say no. But what's the point of owning a transformer if you can't transform it?

Congratulations to you!

9. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    Nice one. I really connect with this article as I spend probably more time looking backwards at this franchise than forward. It's rare that I collect a line when it's on the shelves (outside of a few choice examples), often coming back to it later when you can properly evaluate it's strengths and appreciate it as a whole.

In a time when everybody seems to be MP and 3rd party crazy it's nice to reflect on how amazing so many transformers are that aren't billed as the greatest thing ever.

10. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    They're old flames for a reason, bitches be crazy.

What? ;) 

On topic I find revisiting good and bad. Because a lot of my collection is not boxed I can dip in and out as I feel the whim. Generally it's all good, I find why I loved certain figures in the first place and justifies why I hold onto so many in storage.

But occasionally revisiting can be negative, like yesterday when I dug out SWTF Millenium Falcon... and found the Chewie half afflicted with GPS! Not a happy bunny. It was an uncomfortable reminder that these are disposable playthings which also answer to the march of time and makes me wonder why I hold onto so many in storage...

11. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice article, but you missed part of Xbrawn's transformation into robot mode :) 

The wheels on his legs fold outwards onto the forward part of his shins. Was bugging me in all the pictures :lol  I think I may have diagnosed myself with OCD.

12. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Well I spoke to soo it seems, my friend's been in contact to say he can't find it in his storage so there's a chance it left his collection ages ago or was sold at a show. That'll teach me!

You and I are repsonsible for making each other spend a lot of time looking back at forgotten toys, and that leads to spending money, and less time and money for drinks. We need to rethink this strategy of mutual bankruptcy.

Even though I don't have a lot in storage, I have recently thought genuinely to myself "realistically how many years do I have left to live? and how many of those will I be collecting for? Do I really see myself buying Transformers at 60? 70?! So how realistic is it for me to realise my collecting goals and how am I going to find time to enjoy the things in storage that I haven't adequately spent time with in the last 15 years anyway?"

I know I know, someone mentioned that to me when I did my Blast From The Past article, and thanks to photo recycling that cock up shall be immortalised in all articles because the CR Brothers are in storage at this moment hah!

I'm surprised the lack of pink rotor blades on 'Storm isn't driving you mental!

All the best
    Maz

13. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm saving these all for my retirement. I will surround myself with ancient plastic robits while I play all those video games I never finished... assuming of course the TV's of the future accept SCART plugs...

14. Mixmaster

Mixmaster Lavender - the most evil of colours...

News Credits:
    Maz, I sincerely hope you've managed to secure a BT-17.

15. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    Lovely article. With very little on the shelves that I'm interested in recently, I've found myself picking up older figures that I never had the pleasure of having the first time around and Also enjoying some figures that have been in storage for a while.

RID Optimus has always been a favourite, but I'd never owned ultra Magnus, so I got a sealed one from cz hazard. Awful robot mode, but the alt mode is gorgeous as is the combined omega mode. This led me to dig out my car brothers, and yeah, these guys have still got it. I really must locate my RID megaton, that thing is also a beaut.

The hype of the new movie has also whetted my appetite for a bit of bay former action, yet there's not a lot from the new line that appeals. Evasion op looks great, but everything else just looks a bit bland. It's a shame as I love the new onscreen designs, and if they got the superb Rotf treatment I'd probably be very skint!

Anyway, to scratch this itch I've been hunting cheap movie figures that I'd passed on for whatever reason and I recently grabbed HFTD ironhide and I can't put the little tubster down! Scale be damned this is the best movie ironhide I've owned. Detailed, sturdy (once you figure out how to lock his chest) and the kind of awesome, involved transformation that hasbro shies away from these days. Man, HFTD was a great subline wasn't it?