Oh God, the movieverse Optimus question...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by slochmoeller, Jun 28, 2014.

1. slochmoeller

slochmoeller Well-Known Member

Did anyone think it was a little contradictory that Optimus frees the dino bots but basically then enslaves them on point of death to do his bidding? I know, I think it was more of a domination thing, proving that he was worthy to lead the Dinobots, but as written it's "I freed you! Now do what I say or I'll kill you!"

I'd rather not reopen the Optimus can of worms from the previous films and accept this on it's own merits, (I hated the first three movies but thought this was actually really good,) but I can't deny it doesn't bump up agaisnt that can of worms...

2. MasterZero

MasterZero Taking a Break

He did let them go, to be fair.

And they WERE pressed for time. Optimus, sadly, didn't have time to talk. He tried a quick plead, but Grimlock wanted to fight. Optimus gave him one, and had to force them to join him because every moment he didn't, was another moment the Seed could go boom.

3. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    Well he appealed to them first, then had to get serious when Grimlock tried to kill him with his 100 foot club.

4. MelficeCyrum

MelficeCyrum Well-Known Member

Uhhhh, you do realize he sort of HAD to do that? It's the display of dominance thing. He has to show he's capable of being their equal so they'll even listen to him in the first place. Yes it was written as "obey me or die" but they were trying to kill Optimus as well.

5. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Optimus threatening to kill things was a central theme in the movie, so of course it had to be carried over into the showdown.

In seriousness though pretty sure it was either a bluff (but with movie OP is there such a thing?) or like you said proving himself. Didn't bug me all that much.

6. Magnahide

Magnahide Maximal Commander

Well, Grimlock basically attacked him unprovoked, and Optimus defended himself. Grimlock respected Optimus' fearlessness and deemed him a worthy comrade.

7. MatrixBearer85

MatrixBearer85 Well-Known Member

but still, the dialogue after bashing Grimlock's head with his shield was totally out of character.
    where's the FREEDOM in that????

8. OptimusJet

OptimusJet One with the Matrix

News Credits:
    This.

9. salmonman78

salmonman78 That's MR. Magnus to you all...

I would have thought here would have been a good opportunity to have Grimlock speak.

"No, me Grimlock lead! Grimlock crush you!"(or something of the sort) right as he begins to attack to kinda clarify what was going on here for the non-fans.

10. LSyd

LSyd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it is the age of extinction after all ;) 

i would have liked to get some Grimlock dialogue, in any language.

-

11. TUROK1134

TUROK1134 Well-Known Member

He makes them earn their freedom.

12. Ultrawave

Ultrawave Hey look, I have a title

News Credits:
    Completely unrelated, but MAN do I love your sig right now.

13. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exactly what I was going to say

14. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Optimus killing Attinger was the thing that annoyed me more... I mean this is quite literally the reason why Attinger was killing the Autobots also because they couldn't be trusted and killing Attinger kind of proved him right. I know Attinger had selfish motives also, however Optimus killing him should have re-ignited the 'Autobots are evil' debate. Instead Optimus is now someone who has murdered a human and leaves so the other Autobots will face the fallout - if anyone else knew of Optimus killing Attinger then they'd have agreed with Attinger that the Autobots are as evil as the Decepticons.

No matter whether it was justified, Optimus just killed a human.

15. AquamanOS

AquamanOS Well-Known Member

Optimus has killed bad humans before (like mech guys in Transformers Prime and he also totally attempted to kill Silas) in other continuties.

Really it's no big deal. If he'd given into his anger and killed Tucci earlier it would have been one thing, but he killed a racist warmonger who wanted to kill his whole race, any human that helped them because he viewed them as race traitors, and also seemed to think he could kill any human as collateral damage and it would have been fine because everyone on the planet should be willing to die for the glory of the human race.

And he killed him to save another human, who was about to be kill in cold blood for the "crime" of not being racist enough.

Honestly nobody should have any problems with this.

16. Stryker055

Stryker055 History Man Extraordinare

Well, no. He quite clearly killed a few in self-defense back at Cade's farm. Besides, a big point was that he swore that he would kill whoever was behind the hunting of Autobots, and he did– but not out of revenge, but to save a friend.

Besides, I'd say that's one of the reasons he decided to leave. The blood is on his hands, and justified or not, it will be remembered that Optimus Prime killed a government agent.

17. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

Yeah the human the ordered death for all Autobots. Who cares if he is human or a robot the dude was a asshole and got what he deserved.

18. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

THIS

19. Minh'T

Minh'T Descendant of Primus

Facebook:
    I'm more wonder about how did he turn into a red and blue truck after scanning a white one lol

20. primal789

primal789 Prime

News Credits:
    Me too.He is the first to not take the color of the vehicle he scanned