Officially done collecting. Such a Bummer.

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by GAUGE, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Kevin Iaquinto

Kevin Iaquinto Saving the World, 1 VPN at a time...

News Credits:
    Had a dog with us

2. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I nearly edited my post to say that myself... :) 

• Like Like x 1
  3. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Not to go off topic, but Ebay has become a complete scam.

I have a friend that does this. His collection is small, organized, and really cool. I wish I had the willpower for such an undertaking.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  4. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Pepperidge Farm remembers TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just like any other item that fluctuates in value over time, It's not a loss until you sell it. Once you sell it, you've locked in that loss. If you have the space to store the item and you only have the time and effort to get a small fraction of its value right now but the market value is generally higher, you may be better off waiting for the opportunity to sell it when you have the time and effort to put toward the sale to get more for it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dirtmodeler

dirtmodeler Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    seriously man, stay 1 year behind the curve and you'll save a fortune.. i pretty much only buy older figures on super special deals, or used ones from people on here.. and i save quite a bit.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Razor24

Razor24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah maybe the MP scale manufacturers like Fans Toys are a bit more careful with their numbers simply due to the high costs involved?

Haha now I know why you didn't reply to my PM :lol 

7. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    Hehe :)  nothing personal :) 

8. JoeHavok

JoeHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That sucks man. I stopped collecting official, (Except Masterpiece) and I don’t get every third party figure. So it’s not too expensive for me. But, there is more important things in life than collecting toys.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Razor24

Razor24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

all good bud. I don't think you'll have any issues getting rid of it on ebay.

10. Insectabot

Insectabot Well-Known Member

My collection is also slowing. I think I’m down to menasor from xtb, fanstoys superion and finishing zeta bruticus. Also arcee and cliffjumper then done. I’ll be out of room for my self imposed limits. Don’t get me wrong, that list will keep me in the game for awhile, but compared to the last 4 years, it’s nothing!

11. Spiderbite

Spiderbite Well-Known Member

The game has changes substantially in the last 15 years. In pretty much all positive ways from a standpoint of both quality and quantity, but at the same timeits become much harder to have a complete experience as a collector. It used to be you could pretty much buy a year's worth of releases with just a couple hundred dollars. Now the same amount wouldn't cover a fraction of releases from some of the major 3P companies. Its basically all but impossible for most people to experience every notable 3P figure released every year, unless you have the money, or constantly resell figures, which can be a massive chore if you don't have the time.

For those who keep a more focussed collection, though, its definitely a good time, especially for MP collectors. at the same time, though,I feel like the competition between companies to create the same certain characters, while often healthy(look at Gabriel vs. Terminus) it does end up frustrating in a lot of cases and kind of takes the magic away. MP-3 Starscream may not be the greatest figures, but back then, when it was the only option, and we had no idea it would be topped? It was groundbreaking, especially when we got the wal-mart US release. Now, for example, with Springer or galvatron, between all the companies doing theirs, and if we were to ever get Takara ones, no matter how great the figures are, or would be, it just feels like something expected, rather than a surprise. And because there's so much to compare each of them too, its hard to truly be satisfied with any one, imo. Don't get me wrong, at the end of the day I'm still happy to be collecting, and glad to be getting what we are, but there's definitely something to be said about being spoiled.

12. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've learned that I can never quit, as I've tried three times now.

Three times I've sold everything, only to start rebuying just a few months afterwards.

I blame this place. :lol 

13. hayabusa

hayabusa Skyfire

If theirs a way to save money or donate plasma their is a way to collect

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fortynickel

Fortynickel Well-Known Member

You are the Jedimaster of Transformers Collecting.

I discovered that this hobby pretty recently so I am mostly catching up.

Others’ trash and obsolete figures are my treasure.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TheGame2K5

TheGame2K5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I too have scaled way back and slowly playing catch up on some of the "teams" that I started, still need at least FT Stomp and maybe Grinder along with Mercenary to finish off the bugs. Just finally picked up MT Vulcan after having the 4 limb bots, still need PX Quirinis. There is just way too much coming out all the time that I would love to get so trying to pick which to pass on is hard.

16. FlourscentMilk

FlourscentMilk Not Flour-Scent-Milk

Reading through this thread has given me a lot to think about and made me realise I should really only focus on the important characters.

I'm 17 and I just started collecting transformers full on. I've got 4 masterpiece transformers, a few 3rd party masterpiece/3rd party IDW and a lot of Hasbro prime wars stuff.

I initially started collecting for the masterpiece and main Hasbro toys but once I discovered 3rd party and IDW comics, I couldn't stop myself from wanting and then subsequently buying the respective figures.

• Like Like x 1
  17. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    I see this as a veiled jab at those who spend our disposable income on Transformers. I don't collect Hot Toys or high end statutes because I think they are too expensive for me, but I don't make threads calling those who do collect them "rich men playing a rich man's game". If I wanted to move into Hot Toys collecting, I would make sacrifices or take on extra jobs to do so.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    Lol at “rich men playing rich man’s game.” Have you looked at Jay Leno’s garage lately???

19. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    I am just showing the relevance of the OP.

20. joopsta

joopsta Masterpiece, Encore and 3P collector

News Credits:
    I know it's an expensive hobby. I'm blessed I can buy for 200-300 a month on Transformers. I am very well aware this is not a common deal for everyone. But I am also very greatful I can eat whatever I want everyday. A lot of people on the planet are glad they have something to eat.
    It sucks you cannot buy TF's anymore, but eventually, so much things are more important.

• Like Like x 3