Official: Writer's Strike is OVER!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Maximus_Prime, Feb 7, 2008.

1. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

Because the outcome of the writers' strike has a direct effect on the Transformers Movie sequel?

I hope this gets resolved soon. If they go back to work for this coming week, that means TF2 will have suffered very little (if ANY) delays in production.

I'll celebrate when it's official - but things are looking good, so I'm excited!

2. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

The link doesn't work.

Ten to one. Even though the writers will get what they want that still doesn't mean we'll always get quality programming.

We'll see.

3. rabbid1

rabbid1 Well-Known Member

That's unions for ya.

And no- I never supported this strike. But I did find this interesting:
    Talk about announcing the next strike as soon as this contract is up folks. And of course, the rhetoric, divisions and the "the writers got screwed last time in a bad deal" will continue all over again.

Whatever. At least Orci can write whatever he can around the scenes that Bay is creating legally now. And maybe- just maybe- they'll figure out how to put Shatner in the next Trek movie. Who knows?

4. rabbid1

rabbid1 Well-Known Member

No... you aren't the only person.

5. drippy

drippy Well-Known Member

Extremely tenuous if you ask me. It's not like the only thing writers can now work on is the sequel. Further, Transformers is not mentioned once in the article.

*shrug*

6. UTK007

UTK007 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually... it is not a done deal yet. Lets not get excited until the deal is ratified. This was wriiten in the Wired blog today:

"Hollywood writers could be back to work Monday.

A Writers Guild of America strike captain who attended a special leadership-level WGA meeting tonight reported that a deal with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers is ready for review by the rank and file membership at the guild's Saturday night meetings.

According to the guild's constitution, writers will have a 10-day ratification process to consider the deal. But, during that ratification period, guild leaders want writers to return to work as a sign of good faith.

Even now, there is a sense of caution. If the membership vote approves the new deal, those writers who return to work Monday would simply carry on in their jobs. But, if guild members reject the contract, the strike would resume after the failed ratification vote.

More to come..."

7. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler

News Credits:
    This is excellent news. Hopefully, it won't all fall apart at the last minute. Even if the WGA leaders approve the deal, the writers, themselves, still have to vote on it. Although, I'm sure if the leaders like the deal, most of the writers will, as well. *fingers crossed*

Bring on Transformers 2!

8. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

The strike effects the timely production of movies.

The Transformers sequel is a movie.

Thus, the strike effects the Transformers sequel.

The article doesn't have to mention Transformers directly, it wasn't written for TF fans. A news item doesn't need to have the word "TRANSFORMERS" in it to be Transformers-related news.

9. B-Fox

B-Fox Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And there was much rejoicing...and some complaining.

Business as usual. :)  Glad things can get back on track, though. Now if only they'd include Shockwave, Soundwave, and Tidal Wave in the sequel. The Wave Trinity needs to happen...

10. drippy

drippy Well-Known Member

I think I'll start posting links to articles re: the housing market downturn in Transformers News & Rumors.

The housing market is tanking.

Loans are much more difficult to obtain and refinance.

People are losing their homes.

Mortgage financing companies are going out of business.

The stock market is tanking.

Overall consumer sentiment in the toilet.

Consumer spending severely contracts.

The disposable income of many also contracts.

Not as many people therefore going to the movies.

Demand for upcoming movie projects decreasing; studios cutting back on budgets.

Transformers 2 will have a lesser opening weekend compared to an opening weekend when the economy (housing market included) is healthy!

OMGWTFBBQ!!!111!!one11!11!!!

:p 

11. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    ^that was kinda unnecessary

without writers scripts can't be written and thus movies can't be made, pretty much end of story

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    To be honest, it was never about quality programming.

13. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There are only three stories that can be told: Man vs. Man, Man vs. Nature, Man vs. Himself. Everything you've ever read or watched, from Homer the epic poet to Homer Simpson, is an incarnation of those three, and there's nothing anyone can do about it. There just aren't anymore story options.

14. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

I know, I was speaking more to the constant remakes that are being done instead of at least attempting to introduce a new element or idea into the plot structure. Instead it's "hey lets remake this movie or turn this old tv series into a movie or just throw darts at an idea wall and have that be our story."

15. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

Hasbro's main headquarters and factories all explode, and the world supply of plastic runs out. But we shouldn't report on it, because news articles about these events don't mention Transformers directly, so it's not really relevant to the franchise, I guess...

16. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But that's my point - there is nothing new to introduce in storytelling. There are only new ways to string the old stuff together. And it takes a lot of skill to do that right.

Besides, wasn't the main gripe about the Transformers movie how different it was? Isn't that a huge concern for the G.I. Joe fanbase right now? I work with a person who is, quite possibly, the world's biggest Get Smart fan, and he's not thrilled with the changes he's heard about that upcoming movie adaptation.

I don't know what your personal take on these franchises are, but it's laughable how if you ask a fan one day and he'll say everything Hollywood does is an "unoriginal rehash" but yesterday he said "they always change too much and don't respect the source material".

It becomes pretty clear pretty quickly that both statements are overgeneralizing and false.

17. drippy

drippy Well-Known Member

Sorry to see you've missed the point.

18. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Best News Of The Week

19. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Outstanding. The continued writer's strike was definitely on my short list of things to be worried about. Now, with it over, I can relax.

20. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

That's just in the difference between a fanboy and a normal person though. I, for one, loved the Transformers movie. Generally I like it when Hollywood tries to present something new, even if I don't really like the movie, I'll still give it a chance and it will still get money from me. People just have to do their part to finance the original stuff and stay away from the complete re-tellings.