Official Sales, Deals, and Coupons Thread- Rules in First Post

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Matty, Nov 19, 2010.

1. deusxanime

deusxanime Well-Known Member

The problem most complain about isn't with scrolling, it is with getting email notifications. They'd rather only get the email notifications for this thread is there is an actual "deal" (definition debatable as we have seen over the past few pages).

For a case study go see the eBay flash sale vs. discussion threads.

2. DrJest

DrJest Crewdition Washout

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Pinterest:
    I'm amazed that anyone actually wants to be emailed when any thread is updated. If that's the reason people keep disrupting the thread with complaints over something most of the people who actually use it already considered settled, they should change their settings and just check the watched thread page occasionally.

• Like Like x 3
  3. itMFtis

itMFtis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great way to miss a deal, thanks.

• Like Like x 3
  4. DrJest

DrJest Crewdition Washout

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Pinterest:
    Either deal with the emails or keep up with the thread in a way that you don't need to deal with the emails. There's no need to disrupt it by complaining about posts you don't want to see.

• Like Like x 3
  5. waflhaus91

waflhaus91 Co-wisest person at TFW, as proclaimed by barry.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    Will somebody PM me when the arguments are over? I'm unsubscribing until the posts become relevant. I don't give two fucks whether it's a "sale" or MSRP. I'm just tired of the fucking bickering.

• Like Like x 8
  6. optimusfan

optimusfan Kill your heroes Administrator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Yes, I need everyone to stop the back and forth. I'll address the direction moving forward today.

• Like Like x 3
  7. itMFtis

itMFtis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Considering there seems to be a lot of people on both sides, there really should be another thread for people strictly looking for better than MSRP deals and wanting email notifications.

This thread was started when MSRP was a lot lower and getting a deluxe for $10, $12, maybe $15, is/was palpable (to some). The prices have jumped quite a bit in only a few years. I cringe a bit inside when someone brags about finding a deluxe for $20. It's non-news to me. If anything, I think that person just got ripped off.

Look at Kickin' Toys' recent sales. Recent release deluxes at $11-$12. I'm sure they weren't sold at a loss, simply just not the crazy MSRP price. Prices at TJ Maxx, Ollies, etc, can be used as examples too. $20 is ridiculous and you should feel bad for paying that much.

Point being, this forum has the technology to provide such a thread. It's actually a clever use of the feature. Why not use it? Then we can stop debating in this one.

Edit: Apologies, was typing when the last couple posts came in.

• Like Like x 2
  8. optimusfan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    So, I've been here for quite a few years. Working on this thread was part of what helped me get my foot in the door as staff, so I have a pretty good idea what this thread is supposed to be about. It was originally envisioned as being a "Slickdeals/Fatwallet" for TFW. If you're not familiar with those sites, "deals" are posted regarding products for sale both online and at brick & mortar stores.

That being said, how should that be applied here? Well, there will always be some grey area, but as a general guideline I'd say "Transformers and related products below the current market rate that excite you or would excite someone in the community." In practice some pretty clear examples include:

- A Transformer that's on sale at a local or online stores
    - An item that's been out for a while but is significantly below the current market price

What's clearly not included:

- A new figure that's available for MSRP and is expected to be widely available.
    - Insignificant or unexciting discounts like 50 cents off a $100 figure.

And the grey area:

- A new figure that's been hard to find for months at a reasonable price for many people and is now available for MSRP somewhere

Regarding the grey area, what we don't want is this to become another "new stock" thread. We already have that handled for many online retailers, and more can potentially be added if there is a need. Local stock is handled by your state/regional sightings thread. But again, you're going to have a grey area where members will need to use some discretion. Is a figure that's been out for a month worth a post at MSRP? Probably not. But one that's been out for 6 months and has been going for more than MSRP since its release probably is. In between that is fully up to your discretion, and as long as people are making a good faith effort at evaluating per the guidelines above I think we'll be fine moving forward.

At any rate, please let me know if you have any feedback on any of this via PM. Let's please stop discussion here and get the thread back on topic. Thanks.

• Like Like x 23
  9. waflhaus91

waflhaus91 Co-wisest person at TFW, as proclaimed by barry.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    If I may add a suggestion, Ian:

People, if you see a post that sits in the grey area that you don't think should have been posted, don't reply or try to argue your point here. Just report the post to a moderator and let them deal with it.

Edit: To keep from adding to the discussion, I will edit this post instead of making a new one. @Fc203 this wasn't directed toward Ian, I was just adding on to what he posted. This was directed at literally everyone else.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
  10. Fc203

Fc203 Jazz is a Pontiac not a Porsche

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    He is a moderator...

11. optimusfan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    That is correct, please report and don't argue.

• Like Like x 5
  12. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    Ian, thank you for jumping in here and clearing this all up. I can get behind everything you've said, and especially agree with the last paragraph, which is what started this whole debacle to begin with. I hope we can all move forward in a positive manner from here.

At the end of the day, I'm just frugal and love a good deal, so here's to hopefully getting some in the near future!

• Like Like x 4
  13. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes! Exactly. For example. eBay bucks... While the targeted 10% didn't work, the purchase I made yesterday did net me $13.00 in eBay bucks for a future purchase, and I most likely wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't seen it posted here. (I rarely look at eBay or the app on my phone for anything more than a price check and I certainly won't look at the homepage (where deals are displayed) when I can jump right into the meat and potatoes of it all.

• Like Like x 2
  14. GiganGoji

GiganGoji Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And just a heads up for future posters/readers, 100% of eBay bucks deals are targeted. The $-off coupons are typically fair game, but the ones for higher-percentage eBay bucks are always targeted.

15. Saberclaw84

Saberclaw84 Defensor’s Servant

If anyone's looking for Siege Starscream, Amazon currently has him at $23.51!
    Some other sales on Siege stuff on Amazon from when I looked today...
    • Battle Patrol is $7.86
    • Race Car Patrol is $7.79
    • Air Strike Patrol is $8.99
    It's not much of a deal, sure, but it's as low as I've seen them go since their release.

• Like Like x 7
  16. quiktake

quiktake Well-Known Member

The target website has siege Jetfire for those that want free shipping. It is a deal for those with a target credit card due to cash back and 6 month return policy.

17. LoneDragon

LoneDragon I dare to be stupid!

News Credits:
    Kickin toys below MSRP restock:

Kickin' Toys @ Amazon.com: Transformers

Do me a favor and don't buy any Red Alberts. He's gone down to $12 before and I'd like to see him drop at least to $15.

• Like Like x 5
  18. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Check the actual item pages on these. Soundwave shows at $24.51 on the group page, but came up at $22 when I clicked on it.

19. LoneDragon

LoneDragon I dare to be stupid!

News Credits:
    It was $26 when I posted and wow those Reflectors sold out quick!

20. Soundave8

Soundave8 Well-Known Member

I was debating between the G1 toy color boxset or waiting for the regular seige ones drop. $54 tax free sealed the deal for me.

• Like Like x 1