Official Mech Ideas Animated Announcement

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by CZ Hazard, Feb 21, 2013.

1. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    PRE-ORDER LIVE

Pre-orders are now open at PSX

NOW WITH FULL UPDATES - the good, the bad and the ugly

Sorry to do this to Transbot, but I'm starting an official version of this post so I can control the information.

One of the things we are planning to do with our Animated line, is make a series of pledges to the consumer, we can't do that if the first information out of the gate is speculative and/or confusing.

Consider this our official announcement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first two figures will NOT be dinobots.

More information to follow tonight.

INFORMATION UPDATE:

The line will be a line, not just a few random figures, but a scaled line.
    We are looking to keep our pricing similar to the Demolition Crue, varying depending on the size.
    Some of the smaller figures will be slightly taller than activators, but fully pose-able with no spring-load gimmick.
    Regular releases, sales dependent. The better these figures sell, the longer the line will run. That's capitalism.
    First release will be this year. If not I will publicly apologise online, and allow you guys to beat me up at TFcon.

Our other line, started with the Demolition Crue, will continue with more of a G1 aesthetic, bringing you the best renditions we can of the classic characters we all grew up with.

Just a glimpse at the changes we've made.

[​IMG]

Different torso shapes, unique for each character
    Redesigned heads
    Collapsible legs for alternate transformations
    Shoulder joint pinned for extra strength, no maneuverability sacrificed
    More pronounced angles on bodies

Thanks for all your support, we get that not everyone will want these but we believe they have a place on the market, and ultimately we believe in this product.

That was one of the first ideas we floated, but we didn't want people to think the entire line was just going to be populated by repaint after repaint, so we chose to do Bluster / Trench with their extensive retooling to show a commitment to the variety of the potential range, and not just another inevitable Bumblebee and Cliffjumper.

If this line does as well as we hope, sure thing.

To me this isn't a team:
    [​IMG]

THIS is a team:

[​IMG]

Guys, thanks for all the support. I'm literally gutted, I put a lot of time and effort into this range.

I want people to know, the buck stops with me. I decided on the initial choice of characters, I had the final say on the size / scale, and I was responsible for marketing for the most part.
    I only knew these were going to pre-order the day it happened and I spent most of the following two days online promoting it, putting in a lot of hours. Often times I promoted online and linked Daim Choc to the images, knowing full well he would post them straight here, so please don't think the images posted on FB were for no reason. Heck, even DJW tweeted about this yesterday.

Please don't be too angry at Mech iDeas, between them and the MMC crew who helped tool these, they've been responsible for some of the best figures on the market including the Hearts of Steel range, so they have been committed to producing more than just "gee-wun" figures to the market. If you feel the need to be mad at someone, be mad at me.

The intention was small figures from the same basic mold, low part count, low cost = great chance to test the market, but we kept going back to tweak the design using fan input and suggestions and it pushed the price over the magic $45-50 price point we were aiming for. Our desire to give you the BEST product seems to have back-fired.

Again, I'm really sorry. I'm taking a personal day as the girlfriend is having spinal surgery this week and we have a lot of planning to do, but I will be back online for the weekend. Very sorry guys. This is crushing me.

They were the same designer. He is freelance.

I like this sentiment.

We're still working on a way to do something with this, my bosses have to assess every situation and make the call that works best.

Did you miss the bit where I assumed full responsibility and apologised to everyone?
    I can ask about getting it front-paged if you like.

Did you miss the bit where I assumed full responsibility and apologised to everyone?
    I can ask about getting it front-paged if you like.

I'm officially part of the company, I also work with MMC. With TTT I pioneered the line with Mel Warner, pitched the initial concept, convinced the bosses this was a good line and had a smaller but VERY loyal fanbase, we all agreed on starting the line with small characters with repaint potential but decided against Bee and CJ (just because of how many of those are already on the market) to show a commitment to the obscure characters. We settled on Bluster and Trench because of how fun we find the character designs, and it's always better to work on and promote something you believe in and want for your collection, rather than just blindly following the market leaders into a combiner war that is difficult for any winners to emerge from.

So yeah, I take responsibility for the character choice. You say it's wrong, I respect that. I still believe in them.
    Yes I want Cyclonus. Yes, I want Red Alert. Yes I want the Constructicons, and Perceptor, and Wheeljack, Powerglide, Highbrow, Warpath I even want Mainframe. I ESPECIALLY want Omega Supreme.
    But business is business, and we decided to start small and build up.

No-one wanted this to work more than me, and we have serious time and money invested in this. Contrary to the beliefs of some people, we did not approach this half-assed or unaware of how the industry works. We've successfully bought to market Hearts of Steel toys, obscure Wreckers that we were told would never sell in the East, G2 repaints based on ARGENTINIAN EXCLUSIVES (I mean, really?), a Hexatron that everyone thought should be bigger / smaller / taller / wider / purple / neon / bland / too ridgy / more detailed / less pink headed, and we've done it all with market awareness, a spring in our step, a smile on our faces, with honest communication with the fans and a self-reverential note-to-self that no matter how good we might think we're getting we could always be better and our shit still stinks same as everyone else.

So yeah, I'm sorry. I'm sorry that you didn't agree with our choice of character. I'm sorry they took time to develop from our original pitch in April 2012 (about standard for 3P development in all fairness) and we didn't just rush the first CAD design to production warts and all. I'm sorry that I didn't update the first post. I'm sorry that the retailer wanted to put a mark-up on these and make some money / pay taxes / wages etc... I'm sorry that you think you would have handled it better, faster, stronger, harder etc... I don't have a magic pill to make this possible. All we can do is assess the situation the best we can and hope that the majority of our choices are the right ones for the market in front of us.

Are they always? No.

But I think we have a pretty damn good track record.

No-one could have predicted the increase in 3P companies in the last two years, or the targeted and calculated increase on MP products from Takara (smart move on their part), and maybe the smart move would have been to cancel the figures in the wake of the growing market trend or more MP toys, but I really did want to get this product to market and start another fun, niche line for collectors.

Thanks for your questions
    Best regards
    -Flowers For Ceno

Thanks for the support.

I certainly see where a lot of the negativity is coming from, and for the most part I think everyone has been very respectful. Even Split Lip, who I replied to directly isn't being outright rude or offensive with his opinions, and his opinions ARE valid. Everyone's opinions are.
    I just hope people realise that we really did try, and we've known from the beginning that no matter what you can't please all the people all of the time.

I love the fact we have such a passionate fanbase, and if that means that you'll get the occasional "you suck" as an emotional response to a harsh choice, then that is fine too, as it is part of it.

Looks like the passionate feedback about this has been heard by the bosses. Fingers crossed!

I've tried to relay the information on here as best as I understand it, and I think I have given it quite in-depth coverage. To cover your points
    1) BBTS cancelled their pre-order after wanting an exclusive, because the first day sales were not strong enough. This is how they do things, and we respect that.
    2) The project was put "on hold", it was never announced as cancelled at any point. However the first "on hold" had no time considerations applied to it. The bosses have assured myself and the fans via Facebook that there will be an announcement in two weeks. This is in direct response to the outpouring of emotion from the fans who - like myself - really want to see this happen.

Another question I get often is: How can you help?

Well, I've taken into consideration a lot of the constructive criticism we received yesterday about how there was no announcement about the pre-order announcement.
    To that effect, I want to learn from past mistakes and do everything we can to keep this current and fresh in people's minds over the next two weeks, and I plan on using the best weapon at our disposal. You. The loyal, verbal fans who are keeping it alive.

To that end: Please follow me on twitter and share the hashtag #IsupportBlusterandTrench

We're waiting to hear back from Digilaut about using his awesome image for this campaign.

Thanks.

https://twitter.com/CenoKibble

14/3/14
    Hey guys, as I'm sure you heard mid-week, the TTT figures have been announced as Planet Steel Express exclusives, this direct sales outlet means we have full control of distribution.

26/3/14

Pre-orders are now open at PSX

Attached Files:

2. Mechafire

Mechafire Phase... Two. Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Hell yes, Animated for the fucking win. Definitely interested in supporting this.

3. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My body is ready.

4. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    Well that's going to make alot of folks real happy. Though I was really wanting more Wreckers

5. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    Please be gentle. I've been waiting for so long.

6. Mechafire

Mechafire Phase... Two. Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    "Techno Toon Titans" is an awesome name, BTW.

7. thelastson82

thelastson82 Ankle tilts!

News Credits:
    Awesome! I love animated!

8. Ultra BuckNutz

Ultra BuckNutz Sharkticon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ... my wallet... not so much.

9. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Hey no problem.

I will speculate the first two figures because they were my idea for future 3P offerings.

Wasp and Cliffjumper. One mould that already exists and you get two very desired figures.

If I can offer some advice (take it or leave it) Go with Hydrodive Bumblebee. Deluxe is too big, Activators is too small and most people do not have Hydrodrive BB.

My initial idea was to release it as a three pack. This is to get rid of the scale issue. Once again, Hydrodive BB is the perfect scale but people didn't buy him, so Wasp and CJ will be out of scale. By offering a 3 pack you get the perfect sized BB in the flat American Animated colours vs the shiney stuff and you create a scale for Wasp and CJ.

my 2cents

10. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My mind just exploded all over my computer screen...

Hell yes I'm in support of this. And kudos to MI for coming here and posting something official. I'm very curious to see what their first offering will be though.

11. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is the first I've heard of it. Is there any more info? As in, anything more clarifying than the four words "official mech ideas animated"?

12. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My mind just exploded all over my computer screen...

Hell yes I'm in support of this. And kudos to MI for coming here and posting something official. I'm very curious to see what their first offering will be though.

And although I realize with the development time involved in getting toys to market being as long as it is that you've probably already got several figures beyond the sketch stage, but I'd like to offer up that we need a proper and in scale Lugnut. That is all.

13. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    I very much support the Animated idea, for the sake of people who love Animated and for the sake of my wallet.

Of course, I'd *love* for you to have one or two non-Animated releases later this year, say... November or so.

14. Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm curious as to which two characters it'll be. As I stated in Transbot's thread, I'm not too big on the aesthetics of Animated, however if it were the right characters, I'd bite.
    Now that there's clarification on the first two not being Dinobots, I may be on board. I'd like to see Hotshot.. Since it was robbed of its official release.
    Definitely intrigued.

15. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awesome

Fingers crossed for an Animated not Devastator down the line. :D 

Attached Files:

16. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Wait ... so this is fucking official? Oh lord, I am really hoping the Animated aesthetics are pulled off correctly.

17. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, that Devastator design totally sucks!

18. Ultra BuckNutz

Ultra BuckNutz Sharkticon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Kinda wish it was going to be the missing dinos, but the Crue is sitting on my desk right now and they are fantastic. If MI can deliver another two awesome figures like this for around the same money, I'll almost certainly bite, even if the characters aren't that important to me (like the jumpstarters, e.g.)

19. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Uhhh..........to be honest, that looks hideous.

20. SkywarpsNipples

SkywarpsNipples ホンマおもろい人やね〜

News Credits:
    Animated....Predaking? :p