Official Images - Generations Voyager Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by ORIO, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Transformation:
    The arms have the windows grill and flanks, they fold over the chest. So theres a lot of room in the back for almost anything.

I see panels in between the legs that are unnecessary, as well as on the back of the truck.

The engine gun sits on the back.

Everything past the smokestacks is extra!

So lots of room for something else.

2. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Total Randomness Personified

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    True, but I'm starting to dig the design because once I see it first a little rant than cool off and than like it.

3. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    I'd buy it as a Hotspot retool waaaay before Motormaster.

4. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That digibash looks AWESOME.

I think the combiner theory might be true - I guess might found out more at SDCC

5. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Very chunky and disappointing.

6. adambman

adambman Well-Known Member

Well all of this had crossed my mind awhile ago, glad that someone else noticed the blue panels behind the cab! And either would be fine by me if the alternate tooling was right. As for this being Optimus Prime, I'm trying to adopt the view that this is the GDO/Cloud figure one has when they are not having a GDO/Cloud figure. ;) 

7. 80sforged

80sforged Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    TW was probably watching and immediately made plans for a new run of Orion.

8. 80sforged

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Truly the unholy union made manifest. Even the headsculpt is a better match and requires less moding.

9. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Now all they need is to make a better looking head.

10. Transfan327

Transfan327 customizing amature

man..........why has hasbro been sucking lately?

11. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

Sticking to my henkei version. Easy pass for me

12. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I quite like this Optimus. From what little I can see of it, the hips and maybe the knees seem to be ratcheting joints. My hope is that it's a big, solid, chunky bot, like the oversized Beast Hunters Optimus.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    I know, right? Brainstorm, Arcee, Chromia, the legends figures... all complete garbage.

:rolleyes2 

This is the only piece of legitimately bad news Botcon's given us, and it's a figure we didn't know even existed until an hour before we saw it, and literally all the other gen reveals have been positive, but apparently one bad toy (that actually may have an explanation behind why it is how it is) means Hasbro sucks.

That about lines up with typical fan overreactions.

Nothing you said really makes any sense.

If this is a retool of Motormaster, nothing was really "comprimised" to make it Optimus. In fact, it even explains the fake chest. Considering Hasbro just retooled Arcee almost 75% to be Chromia, I don't think Optimus is a simple head swap to Motormaster. There's probably far more differences between what Motormaster is and Optimus. I don't see the "compromise." That just means that Op here was the obligatory cost-recouping redeco that they decided would come out before the 'first' use, ala Tracks and Wheeljack. All it means is the mould makes a shitty Optimus, but who else do you redeco from a truck? Could've been worse, they could poured some cross-brand synergy on it and turned it into Galvatron. If this really is Motormaster, with a new head, chest, and possibly legs and feet, it actually wouldn't look too bad at all.

Make no mistake, Optimus looks like shit. But if he's not really meant to be Optimus, then that's kind of the biggest complaint nullified. The base mould still has an interesting Transformation, all the key articulation points, and if it is supposed to be someone like Motormaster, even the proportions don't seem bad. The head still sucks. And it still sucks even if it is a retool.

In fact my only real complaints not specific to Optimus is the large underdetailed areas and the general unremarkability.

Also, Megatron's a leader, and can only be shortpacked by another leader. Which is Megatron, or Jetfire. Voyagers don't ship in the same cases as leaders.

14. Mirimus

Mirimus Member Known Well

I'm going to reserve judgement until we see production samples pop up...it looks like it has a lot of potential.

15. 80sforged

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Given how the transformation is, maybe there is something to the Powermaster rumors.

16. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

You know what...This Voyager is so bad that I think it's actually convinced me to buy that evation AOE Voyager Prime.

I didn't want to, cause movie Prime sucks as a character. But the toy looked good, even before this. Now the AOE Voyager looks amazing.
    Maybe I'll try and retool it into a not movie Prime and swap the head somehow...the main release is already in Geewun colors.

17. Sigmus Prime

Sigmus Prime Seein' Spots!

Ebay:
    I think the reasons so much disappointment comes out over this figure - even with the other great figs were getting - is because:

1. With all of the amazing Voyagers we have gotten so far, it's pretty obvious that this figure could have been A LOT better.

2. The only non-movie toys we've received of him thus far have been the Legends class and Beast Hunters versions. When you finally get something that isn't one of these, and it turns out looking like this, it's kind of disappointing.

3. This is Optimus Prime. When you get a toy of him, you want it to be spot-on perfect. Especially at a Voyager price range.

You're one of the first :p 

18. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    Hmmm... I'm a collector, and I plan to buy it, as my "mess around with" Optimus. Aside from the head, I like this better than the classics voyager prime with the shield "partsforming".
    Really? This is the first year in a LONG time I've liked 3/4 of what I see. Legends looks awesome, leaders are great, and even this prime, while not stellar, is leagues above the movie toys.
    I'm not wasting $100 on a blocky thing with a crappy head. Best version was legends prime. 2015 voyager prime is a better bang-for-the-buck to me than Orion... To each their own, I suppose?

19. adambman

adambman Well-Known Member

I want to like the Powermaster suggestion. For one thing, all the other Autobot Powermasters are on the Lost Light now so it would be cool to see toys of them with or without the play feature. They have some interesting, distinctive designs there too. That's circumstantial evidence and daydreaming on my part though.

If the Powermaster feature simply went so far as plugging some little figure into Optimus Prime's torso, then I suppose that's quite feasible, main figure permitting of course. I imagine that anything else, namely the mode where Powermaster Optimus combines with his trailer, known in Japan as Super Ginrai if I recall, would be less likely. I say that because we are looking at something that's been retooled as Optimus Prime and is expected to sell as such, and whatever anyone thinks of it, it is a standalone Transformer and seems to be marketed in that capacity. It seems doubtful that Hasbro would separately release any trailer that turns only into a Powermaster upgrade, unlike combiner members, where if someone can only get one or two, each is - as we know - a fully fledged Transformer.

Having said that, a Powermaster trailer would be cool, not least if Motormaster came with something similar to beef up both himself and Menasor, while giving him something to tow in truck mode. :D  Having said that, we have no idea how extensive a Motormaster retool may be, if it is him at all. Indeed the case maybe be that this Optimus Prime has many parts removed as well as replaced from the originally intended design.

Given all that, while the design has been laid bare to its share of criticism, perhaps that should be directed at the choice of retool per se. That could easily be called obvious, safe or even lazy but to me the safety in offering an Optimus Prime is understandable if this is indeed to offset some risk in Generations combiner teams as an investment.

20. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

Still not seeing the resemblance, the pic is more G1 Prime than this toy is.