Official Images - Generations Voyager Brainstorm!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by ORIO, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Well... Scorponok created a Headmaster army using Sunstreaker as a template, but the robot bodies were just drones piloted by human Headmasters ...and they all got summarily pasted by the Dinobots and Monsterbots.

But yeah. Just Sunstreaker and Scorponok. Chromedome, Brainstorm, and (now) Nightbeat are all major players in the comics at the moment. Fort Max, Hardhead, Siren, and Highbrow have also put in notable appearances. Weirdwolf, Mindwipe, Apeface, Snapdragon, and Squeezeplay have shown up in the background here and there. Fangry has yet to show up, Skullcruncher is assumed dead, and Horri-bull is very probably dead. He, like all Decepticons on Cybertron at the time, had explosives in his head should they get out of hand. He did. Bumblebee pressed the button. Horri-bull's head exploded. People inhaled sharply, their eyes glinting with the hope, "NOW HE CAN BE A HEADMASTER!" ...but he literally has not been seen since.

But yeah, the long and the short of it is, the IDW universe, while featuring the G1 characters -- hasn't been married to the old toys in terms of dictating a characters' features.

2. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They are featured heavily, but none of them have their gimmicks or it's changed. Which is the case for a lot of characters. There are no Targetmasters despite Scoop and Misfire and Cyclonus also being there. The Combaticons, Seacons and Terrorcons don't combine. Menasor is a failed combiner and the Constructicons form Devastator with Prowl!

And Chromedome, Brainstorm and Highbrow's are more connected with an ancient shadowy organization that use to reprogram and brainwash TFs. They virtually have no connection with the Headmasters in this continuity, which are ancient cybertronian beastformers with transformable heads that got wiped out by Galvatron (who is not Megatron in this one) millions of years ago.

3. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think this mold looks really good, but I'm not sure if I'll get it.

4. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Looks aces. do want to see what Takatomy has planned, thou.

5. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Sure, Hasbro's Springer has FP's beat as well. Not saying FP gets a free pass either. I'm saying that when it comes to jet alt modes, my tastes are very particular and most of the time, Hasbro falls short for me.

Between this and Smart Robin, I'm glad I got the latter just based on the alt mode alone.

6. Che

Che Well-Known Member

I agree: aesthetically, macross pieces are far superior. However, I wonder if that perfect aesthetic doesn't make them less credible. Ok, it is kind insane to talk about plausibility when the subject is giant transformable robots :D , but if humans ever built one, it would probably be something more similar to universe silverbolt: basically a jet carrying a robot... I mean, I am not saying that universe silverbolt is a piece of art, far from that, but there is also beauty (and fictional plausibility... I guess...) in simple arrangements and transformations.

Thanks Maverick Hunter Christian and PredaconElder for all the information. I really need to start reading some comics...

7. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    I see your point, and agree somewhat. :) 
    so what's your feeling on the new Classics/ voyager Jetfire's plane mode? I kinda dig it. :D 

8. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Like all jet modes Hasbro produces, I'm going to have to see pics of the undercarriage to form an opinion.

Undercarriage kibble is a huge pet peeve of mine. :lol 

9. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess I don't see how smart robin looks better. Seems to me that they share the same weaknesses.

10. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Old):
    Agreed. Hasbro won the Springer battle, FP took the Brainstorm trophy.

11. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The fact they're "competing" speaks volumes.

12. Razerwire

News Credits:
    I wouldn't call it a competition between Brainstorm and Smart Robin. The one thing I admire about Brainstorm is the face shield and that's pretty much it. Everything else Smart Robin wins easily. But hey, that's just my personal tastes speaking.

13. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Smart Robin is leaps and bounds better than Hasbro's Brainstorm. There's almost no jet mode kibble in robot mode, yet it retains that Brainstorm look. There's no junk hanging off of the jet mode like fists or feet (even though they're part of the wings, you wouldn't know it), everything compacts down nice and tight with no excess. No bloat. Looks sleek like a jet should be.

The only things Hasbro has going for their Brainstorm? Faceplate (nice, but not necessary) and the big one: Price. I must admit that $25.00 is a far cry from $70-80.00 and both toys allow you to have the same character.

Still, the build quality, design and transformation makes Smart Robin the smart choice. If I had to do it all over again, I'd absolutely buy him over Hasbro's any day of the week. As for the face plate? Reprolabels took care of that. You wouldn't even know it's not a Hasbro product. (Well, aside from the quality being so much better than Hasbro's.)

Agreed. Oh, so much.

14. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    while there look to be some overall build improvements on Smart Robin (i.e hiding kibble), i think Brain Storm just looks way better. I like his proportions more in both modes, and love that his head looks like a head instead of a block, my biggest complaint about HMs going back to '87.

15. Silen Prime

Silen Prime The Hunter

News Credits:
    This^

16. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly? Neither figure really hits it out of the park.

Smart Robin has the superior engineering and a cleaner alt mode. He's the superior toy....but as Brainstorm? but I really don't see "Brainstorm" anywhere in that bot mode. It's just a generic robot that happens to have the same color scheme.

Generations Brainstorm's bot mode is nice and he's a good representation of his IDW incarnation. That kibbly non-alt mode is kinda garbage, but I can handle mediocre at a $20-25 price tag much more easily than at $80.

17. Zambot

Zambot Pixarian Artobot

News Credits:
    This Brainstorm is spindly and awkward. Transformation is uninspiring.

18. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    I haven't opened my FP Brainstorm yet, but I prefer the Hasbro one based on pictures alone. We'll see if I change my mind later. Hasbro just feels more Brainstorm - though I'm very happy to have an anime headed version after watching Headmasters.

19. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I was under the assumption that no-one has actually got hands on time with this new figure.

This Brainstorm nails it against the IDW design. Everything else is unknown until we have it in our hands.

20. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I agree. This is a figure people should get before they judge