Official 'I can't afford MP 44' Support Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Canbot, Dec 11, 2018.

1. johnchow604

johnchow604 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just because you can't afford to buy it at the moment its first released doesn't mean you won't have a chance later. Both MP-1 and MP-10 and its various colour variations have been re-released several times over the years. Both have also been released by Hasbro.....the Hasbro one could also be cheaper.

I've been caught up into must buy Takara MP Sideswipe at first release because Takara lost the license to lamborghini scare a few years ago ending up in me paying a large premium to TFSource for a bunch they had to get from a 3rd party.

Also, got caught up in must buy Takara MP Soundwave when it was first released....because he was new? forgot why...:)  yet years later, he's reissued again, Hasbro has that special where he comes bundled with all those tapes, and sold in store (no shipping!) etc :( 

Actually, has there ever been an MP where waiting resulted in no way of buying him later either because all stock is gone or the price skyrocketed?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Fenrir Zero

Fenrir Zero Permanently Retired (1984-2020)

All I can say is that the moment people became dramatic over the potential price, I looked to see what it would take for me to afford him. This has me side with what @johnchow604 says, as we all know that atop of budgeting for these things... Items like this one will see some type of sales that will make it more affordable in the long-run.

As for me... I do not see the point of me owning this piece. So all I can do is hope that the one I could have bought goes on sale and is bought by somebody here. Or not. It's just not worth the money since it is technically Starscream cosplaying as Convoy/Optimus Prime. :ev: 

• Like Like x 2
  3. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

As a right price, I do see some point of having this. At the current 450 usd price point, not. I would display him next to Megatron and the other figures from the 80 cartoons.

4. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I can afford it, but I don't think I want to afford it. I've always felt MP-10 was overrated, but I never felt it needed replacing. $350 shipped seems to be about the best price right now, but I don't think I'd feel good about the purchase. I'm leaning toward waiting for a cheaper US release or maybe consider a high quality KO.

5. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    It's fine that ppl can/can't afford it or do/dont want it but lets not pretend alot of us haven't spent thousands on plastic toys over the years probably spanning over different franchises or ppl saying they feel bad spending X amount on a figure only to ignore the mountain of plastic around it that cost a considerable amount more are missing the irony.

Seems a silly argument to me. Why buy any of it? It's all pointless when it comes to the crunch.

Different ppl see different values in different things. We could all be considered nutcases for the reasons above by ppl that don't collect toys so giving each other grief about the cost of another toy seems ridiculous.

As long as everyone is happy with their lot and they don't fuck themselves financially, impacting actual needs it ultimately really doesn't matter what anyone else does.

• Like Like x 7
  6. franpincho

franpincho Hater = Fan

Your monthly Mortgage is around $594? Lucky! Is it an actual house? A condo? man, that sounds so affordable.

Shit, I must be doing something very wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  7. franpincho

franpincho Hater = Fan

That is EXPENSIVE.

Is there another version of MP-44 I might not know about that costs that much?

fuck. TT has gone crazy!!

8. franpincho

franpincho Hater = Fan

NO NO NO. you're messing with the narrative.

He's $500!

500 DAMN IT, 500

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Medic

News Credits:
    The price I'm willing to pay for a figure is directly proportional to the satisfaction it will bring me. I dropped $300+ on Studio Series this year because a complete Movie 1 cast has been my holy grail for the past few years. It would be nice to own the most perfect G1 Optimus Prime ever conceived, but it would not bring me $400 worth of satisfaction. I'm happy with my MP-10.

• Like Like x 3
  10. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

I think a lot of people miss the point when they hear others snubbing the price of this guy. It's not that we can't afford him, it's that when you compare him to other figures on the market in the same price and size range his price is double what you would get spending your money elsewhere. And by other figures on the market, I am not only referring to third party figures but also to other figures released by Takara in recent years, before they started pricing things exorbitantly. He's more expensive than a Titan figure from Takara. At full retail, he's almost as much as TWO Titans from Takara. In terms of plastic-for-your-money, how does that make sense?

• Like Like x 3
  11. Canbot

Canbot Well-Known Member

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. Yes, I can actually afford him but doing so will really not be a smart move right now. And of course there are ways around it with budgeting.

But now I see the Japanese voice gimmick...and think of a possibility that Peter Cullen will get his shot at a North American release of MP44. Which may never happen of course, but maybe can mind trick me into delaying this purchase...much later down the road. So odd that there is still like 9 months before he's released!

12. Dachande

Dachande Pleasure Toast Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Mine is an actual house and I pay $420/month. Bought it during a housing market dip.:cool: 

Good post.
    I paid around $300 for the Diaclone Reboot Big Powered IMS and feel the value every time I pick it up. I fully see me feeling the value of MP-44 once I pay $307 from Amazon Japan, but value is, of course, subjective.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

I’m getting him

...no matter the cost.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Chiller

Chiller Failed Decepticon

News Credits:
    Number of Takara 84/85/86 G1 MP figures released in 2018 and 2019. =1

Not bought a TF since MP Sunstreaker, so MP44 is easily affordable.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Houstonian Prime

Houstonian Prime skilled tradesman

News Credits:
    I cant afford that either. it's a beautiful figure and I'd love to have it, but no way is that ever gonna be affordable.. for myself that's equal to half a months worth of rent. or a months worth of groceries. or a months worth of doctor/medicine expenses. I cant live without either three. so if I ever consider buying this I'd have to save up. with that in mind I'll just continue to enjoy the OP's that I have.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Renaissance Man

Renaissance Man Wrecker

I want this sooo badly but that price is crazy. I can afford it but I can't justify it and I don't want to encourage TT to fleece their customers like this - not that I'm judging anyone that will be buying it. I'll have a look if the price drops, but I'm okay with my MP-10/Hasbro hybrid for now.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Optimus Prime23

Optimus Prime23 Lighting our Darkest Hour

News Credits:
    I can afford MP-44 because...

[​IMG]

LOL j/k

• Like Like x 6
  18. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No I gave up on MP, rediculous Anime accuracy, complicated transformations, and insane prices.

Happy with the main line.
    MVIMG_20181110_094154.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

News Credits:
    Ok, in context, when MP-44 looks not insignificant compared to some people's mortgage, it looks quite expensive.

But damn if I didn't wish my rent was only 3 digits. I mean i don't even want to imagine how much more I would buy.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    I see more folks on here that don’t want to afford him then can’t afford him . There’s a big difference and the point of this thread was lost a while back. I had 2 preordered but had to cancel 1 of them due to a summer vacation that I need to fit in. Iv been saving , and working some OT , since last year & stashing a little at a time over the course of 13 months. Yeah he’s expensive and if you really wanted him , there’s a number of ways to afford him . If you don’t want him , and are content with other options , that’s also just as good . IMO , everyone’s entitled to buy what they like regardless of what it cost . Just make sure your 100% satisfied with what you get . It’s a hobby that brings you joy and happiness. Not a business or an investment.

• Like Like x 4