Official 'I can't afford MP 44' Support Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Canbot, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Canbot

Canbot Well-Known Member

Greetings,

It was with a heavy heart that today I had to come to terms with a simple truth: I just can't afford MP 44. It's the holiday season, there are bills to be paid and the family needs this money more than Takara right now. Oh, cruel fate! Plastic crack tempts!

I've decided to just watch the games up until next Aug and hope that the rest of the line doesn't see similar price increases. Masterpiece, you've finally earned your title this time.

Howboutchoo? How you guys planning on copping, if you have come to the same conclusion I have? Please, lift these spirits!

• Like Like x 8
  2. Shanxs

Shanxs Open your eyes. Can't you see?

It's the Rolls Royce of the transformers.
    Who can afford it?
    Not me.
    Even though i saw somewhere i can buy it for 370 euros or something, which is 410 usd and not 440 usd.

• Like Like x 2
  3. eightbit

eightbit Active Member

The price is ridiculous if you want my opinion. I'd rather spend $100 less and get the G1 reissue of Fort Max. Wait, that IS what I did :) 

I hear you on bills though. Your family comes first, always. This toy will see price reductions for sure in the future so I would not worry about it. When it is on sale or discounted you will be happy you did not go into debt over it.

• Like Like x 11
  4. Chillyn

Chillyn Resist

I can't afford it.

I won't feel bad about waiting for the KO :ev: 

• Like Like x 8
  5. Shanxs

Shanxs Open your eyes. Can't you see?

Well said.
    I'm waiting for KO or just buy a 3rd party from Magic square or TE version.

• Like Like x 2
  6. treatment

treatment Well-Known Member

Unless you exclusively must use pay-now shops for some odd reason, you don't have to afford MP44 _right now_.

So you can still pay your holiday bills and stuff this seaon, afterall.

If you want MP44 and go with AmJ, you got up to a certain day in Aug/2019 (next year!) to either save up for their not-anywhere-near-msrp preorder-pricing, or just totally cancel...

• Like Like x 10
  7. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, if you're in the US or some other country that doesn't impose customs on toys, then it's doable.

Starting January, set aside $10 every week until release. That's well within means if someone collects MPs.

Of course this also assumes one's native currency is favorable to the yen. But just as an example ...it is possible to save for it. Consistency is key.

• Like Like x 3
  8. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Just trying my best.

News Credits:
    I'm not clamoring for it, but if/when an eventual repaint w/ less accessories comes out in a color scheme I like, sure, I might spring for it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. atomD21

atomD21 Not made of sterner stuff...

I can't justify the price, personally. While there is plenty of time to save for it, with $440-$450 invested or even $340-$370 (Amazon JP), I'd be afraid to touch it! So I went with the Magic Square release for $109. I won't use most of the roughly 4,000 accessories the official has, so why pay for them. It's the same reason why I chose the Infinite Transformations Megatron. Not only was he $150 less, but I have no qualms about messing with him, transforming him back and forth, and tossing him in my bag to go to work with me. The official MP would sit on a shelf and never move to save the paint.

• Like Like x 5
  10. starquantumstratos85

starquantumstratos85 Well-Known Member

As the book rich dad poor dad taught me....dont say to yourself "I cant afford it." But say to yourself "how can I afford it?" (Ko or 3p)

• Like Like x 5
  11. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    It looks really cool but the price is a huge no-no. I can actually afford it, but there's a limit to how much I pay for toys of a certain make and quality. So far, MPs haven't exactly been worth the money I spent on them. Funnily enough, I chose not to collect the MP Beast Wars line because of Dinobot's price. Again, I can afford him and the rest of the MP Beast Wars line, but the price is getting out of control and I'd rather not be aiding in the problem.

I'm going to honest here. I don't normally condone buying KOs but for this toy, I would encourage it. Or at least wait until it's been discounted to all hell. Though I'm skipping him so one less competition for you all to worry about.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I don't care about it?
    Even if I was a millionaire there are dozens of expensive TF toys I'd spend my money on than another pointless Optimus Prime toy.
    MP-10 is perfect. We don't need this.

• Like Like x 8
  13. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Takara is milking the fans again with Optimus Prime and Megatron. It is a company, making money is its business.

Problem is that the cheap hollow plastic syndrome infected all Transformers lines a long time ago. This new extremely show accurate approach in the "masterpiece" line makes figures so weak, like "Masterpiece" Megatron.

I just can't preorder the new Prime, need to wait for reviews. Just like "Masterpiece" Megatron, Prime has a lot of chances of many issues.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Shuggaroth

Shuggaroth Need Titan Omega Wings/Tracks

Ebay:
    I can afford it. You're fucking crazy if you spend that much on it. You could buy Lewin Optimus Prime, 4 MPP-10s, Any one of the the four versions of Omega Supreme. You can buy Fun Pub sets. You could buy MP Starsaber, MP Ultra Magnus, and MP Sunstreaker. I think someone from Harmony Gold is poisoning the well at Takara Tomy.

• Like Like x 11
  15. Prescient

Prescient Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's 3/4 if a year away. Anyone that wants it has sufficient time to save up.

That's one of the reasons it's so long off I presume.

I'm sure plenty of prospective buyers will spend more than the asking on 3rd or 4th party etc next year, I know I will. It's only 2 X FT Iron Dinobots or a single FT Terminus.

Heck it's only the equivalent of not having a couple of cups of cafe bought coffee and sandwiches a week.

16. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

News Credits:
    Ha... yeah, I COULD afford him (barely), I COULD even 'save up' as some suggest but I just don't see him as worth that much money. For all the criticism I have for the figure I would still buy it if he was a reasonable priced, he does look cool. I just feel like in recent times we've been getting less and less 'bang for our buck'. I felt Dinobot wasn't worth what I paid for him, and I've resigned myself to the knowledge that BW Megatron almost certainly won't be, however I don't already have perfectly good MPs of those characters. That isn't the case with MP-44 for the first time a character I love has received an MP and I just can't bring myself to buy it, even out of curiously with the thought that I could sell it on if I don't like it. The initial outlay is just too much to bother.

As it is I simply can't justify paying around £275 to replace an already fine looking figure (MP-10) it's just too dear. I can think of countless other things I'd get more enjoyment out of for that money and will, like @Prescient suggests I'd actually rather get an extra coffee and a sandwich a day between now and August 2019! The cumulative enjoyment and feeling of affluence I'd get for that may well exceed the joy of owning this figure. If he were 30,000 yen (including shipping) or less I most likely would bite. Even though I'd rather not buy a KO I will be tempted if one presents itself, TT have effectively priced me out on this release.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  17. prowl07

prowl07 Well-Known Member

The great thing about the Masterpiece line for me is the advanced notice on releases gives plenty of time to save up for the figures. That being said, I'm very happy with MP-10 Optimus Prime and don't need an upgrade.

I may be in the minority, but in my opinion another Optimus Prime is unnecessary. Don't get me wrong MP-44 is a fantastic looking figure, but I'd rather have another Ark Autobot like Jazz or Mirage sooner than later.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Prescient

Prescient Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyway, no sacrifice no victory.

Clearly Takara have taken note

19. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd like to have a zero accessory option, just the gun please.

• Like Like x 1
  20. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    I saved up $8000 for a down payment on a house in 3 months. I can easily save $450 for this … if I cared to.

But no Transformer should cost that much, and there are too many characters who haven't gotten the MP treatment yet. And the figure itself just doesn't impress me - all that engineering and effort to replicate the bare bones animation model. While the engineering and transformation are impressive, that just doesn't change that I don't like the goal they're being used for. I just don't like slavish show accuracy. All the paint on the figure and Takara chose to use grey on the face and waist stripe to match the show's approximation of silver, rather than the silver it was actually meant to be. And yet the gas tanks are nice and shiny? :confused:  And the stripe is completely absent in truck mode, because the animation model omitted it for simplicity.

I could easily afford MP44, if I wanted one. I just don't want it.

• Like Like x 6